The Student Room Group

bad reference

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kane92
Yeah, it is illegal to give a "bad" reference, but I know (in my own experience through checking with HR at my hospital) that if you leave short of your notice period, they will mention it in any references.

But, if a medical school has already spent the time to interview you, offer you a place and then check (which I doubt they do for every student) the references they will withdraw an offer based on that. And IF they do, I'm sure it can be appealed.

They just want confirmation of you doing your work experience, I don't think they are calling all the references (at least 2 on average per applicant) of each offer (lets say they make 400), that's 800 references.

I'd bet they only check a sample, then only ask for confirmation at that. They're too busy to read through 800 references.

It's not illegal to give someone a bad reference.
Reply 21
Original post by Ronove
It's not illegal to give someone a bad reference.

I just looked up the law and you are correct, provided they can back up their claims with evidence (eg warning letters).

Although total jobs did say this:

"However, many employers are scared to give bad references because anything considered to be not 100% accurate could be grounds for legal action. If you find out that you have been unfairly given a bad reference then you could possibly sue."
Reply 22
Original post by kane92
I just looked up the law and you are correct, provided they can back up their claims with evidence (eg warning letters).

Although total jobs did say this:

"However, many employers are scared to give bad references because anything considered to be not 100% accurate could be grounds for legal action. If you find out that you have been unfairly given a bad reference then you could possibly sue."

I wonder whether the Employment Tribunal fee rules the Tories brought in recently (and that have been complained about a lot) would prevent many people from doing anything about a bad reference in that case.
Original post by kane92
Yeah, it is illegal to give a "bad" reference, but I know (in my own experience through checking with HR at my hospital) that if you leave short of your notice period, they will mention it in any references.

But, if a medical school has already spent the time to interview you, offer you a place and then check (which I doubt they do for every student) the references they will withdraw an offer based on that. And IF they do, I'm sure it can be appealed.

They just want confirmation of you doing your work experience, I don't think they are calling all the references (at least 2 on average per applicant) of each offer (lets say they make 400), that's 800 references.

I'd bet they only check a sample, then only ask for confirmation at that. They're too busy to read through 800 references.

Just for others reading this thread, there is no reason why employers can't give a bad reference as long as nothing they say is dishonest and/or factually incorrect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending