The Student Room Group

Am I The Only Girl Who Has NO Intention Of Working/Having A Career

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by QueenOfSheba
It isn't the time that I'm worried about. I have no problem spending time doing what I enjoy.

Fair enough, but thats quite different to when you said:

'Not waking up at 7 AM, slaving myself off only for the government to take 40% of what I've earnt and return at 6pm in the evening.'

As an entrepreneur you'll lose your evenings and weekends too. And no paid holiday leave either.
Original post by Quady
Fair enough, but thats quite different to when you said:

'Not waking up at 7 AM, slaving myself off only for the government to take 40% of what I've earnt and return at 6pm in the evening.'

As an entrepreneur you'll lose your evenings and weekends too. And no paid holiday leave either.

It wont be "lost" as I plan on doing something enjoyable. Nor will the government get a share on my money from taxes (depending on where I live)
:smile:
Original post by Jibola240
That's the way it's supposed to be, it's how it's been for thousands of years. But the world has we've created in 21st century has made it unpractical and a little unwise for most women to be completely dependent on their husband. So I agree with those who say that you should have a job for a little bit, before completely going into the housewife lifestyle.

So what fantasy world history have you been reading about. Only the fairly rich could afford to have an adult in the family who was unproductive. For most of history people lived as hunter gatherers - and most of the food was brought in ( according to research into present day primitive societies ), by the women.

Much later people lived on the land at subsistence farming. Everybody mucked in - men, women and chidren. Women worked in gangs in the fields (Tess of the d'Urbevilles), helped with the harvest, raised poultry, ran the dairy, made the family's clothes, made preserves, cheeses, planted potatoes : women ran businesses ( Backster, Webster - names bear this out, worked in lace making, glove making, spinning (spinsters), the Lancashire textile trades, the Yorkshire cutlery industry, the Staffordshire Potteries, down the mines, ran market stalls, milliners' shops etc.

It was only with the advent of the factory system that even most of men's work was done separately from the home. Before that men worked in, behind, from the home. Weavers worked at home, black smiths next to the home, bakers worked and lived on the same premises etc. Children watched their Fathers and mothers at work and were brought up by and helped both.

Who do you think ran the farms, businesses, estates etc. when the men were at war or on Cruscade? The Farm Fairies? Back to the 17th century, as far back as we have records, there have been no non-working women in our family.
Reply 163
It wont be "lost" as I plan on doing something enjoyable. Nor will the government get a share on my money from taxes (depending on where I live)

And you can't do a job you find enjoyable as an employee?

Depending on where you like the Government wouldn't get a share of your money as an employee... they do get money though wherever you live, just how they do it varies.
Original post by Quady
And you can't do a job you find enjoyable as an employee?

Depending on where you like the Government wouldn't get a share of your money as an employee... they do get money though wherever you live, just how they do it varies.

Unlikely, the thought of working for someone else for the rest of my life just doesn't sit well with me.

Why be an employee when you can be an employer?

And yes, that's true to the UK. However in countries such as the UAE, there is zero tax on income which sounds great to me! :smile:
Reply 165
Unlikely, the thought of working for someone else for the rest of my life just doesn't sit well with me.

And yes, that's true to the UK. However in countries such as the UAE, there is zero tax on income which sounds great to me! :smile:

Well what will your business be selling?
no woman wants to work lol
Original post by pickup
So what fantasy world history have you been reading about. Only the fairly rich could afford to have an adult in the family who was unproductive. For most of history people lived as hunter gatherers - and most of the food was brought in ( according to research into present day primitive societies ), by the women.

Much later people lived on the land at subsistence farming. Everybody mucked in - men, women and chidren. Women worked in gangs in the fields (Tess of the d'Urbevilles), helped with the harvest, raised poultry, ran the dairy, made the family's clothes, made preserves, cheeses, planted potatoes : women ran businesses ( Backster, Webster - names bear this out, worked in lace making, glove making, spinning (spinsters), the Lancashire textile trades, the Yorkshire cutlery industry, the Staffordshire Potteries, down the mines, ran market stalls, milliners' shops etc.

It was only with the advent of the factory system that even most of men's work was done separately from the home. Before that men worked in, behind, from the home. Weavers worked at home, black smiths next to the home, bakers worked and lived on the same premises etc. Children watched their Fathers and mothers at work and were brought up by and helped both.

Who do you think ran the farms, businesses, estates etc. when the men were at war or on Cruscade? The Farm Fairies? Back to the 17th century, as far back as we have records, there have been no non-working women in our family.

I thought the main role of women throughout history was taking care of children mostly. I didn't know anything about most of the information you provided, no need to be rude.
(edited 9 years ago)

in the UK, they will. Or you'll hopefully get a share of some space in prison.

Because, to be an employer, you need to know what you're doing, and I doubt it's as easy as that, and suddenly you've oodles of cash. It takes months of building a name and a brand and an idea and then hoping that it all pays off.

zero tax on income sounds great? Do you use the NHS? Public Transport? Did you go to school? They all require tax of some sort, and income tax is probably the most fruitful of those :/
I hate working too. I still want to do it anyway purely for the sake of earning some money for funding my lifestyle - cos the alternative would probably just to be a benefit scrounger, which I really don't fancy lol. Otherwise, if I won the lottery, I could honestly live without working. I care more about marriage and kids and leisure than I do about careers tbh.
Original post by Guills on wheels
in the UK, they will. Or you'll hopefully get a share of some space in prison.

Because, to be an employer, you need to know what you're doing, and I doubt it's as easy as that, and suddenly you've oodles of cash. It takes months of building a name and a brand and an idea and then hoping that it all pays off.

zero tax on income sounds great? Do you use the NHS? Public Transport? Did you go to school? They all require tax of some sort, and income tax is probably the most fruitful of those :/

No-one said it was easy.

I know. That's why I mentioned the UAE for example. There's no tax over there. And yes, it does sound great.
Original post by Quady
Well what will your business be selling?

To be honest, i'm still thinking about that! :smile:
No-one said it was easy.

I know. That's why I mentioned the UAE for example. There's no tax over there. And yes, it does sound great.

Why does it sound great, though? I can't fathom why that'd be the case.
Reply 173
To be honest, i'm still thinking about that! :smile:

Thats why be an employee...
Original post by Quady
Thats why be an employee...

If being an entrepreneur was easy everyone would do it. I know it's hard, but it's far more fulfilling.
Original post by Coben
I want to own a small business so it isn't 'lazy'

You're delusional. You can't just 'own' a business without putting in a lot of work. Even if you can afford to buy one that's up and running, it will fail if you don't tend to it properly. You can't 'own a small business' and be a full time mother at the same time.

Maybe unless you're making very little from your business. In which case, you should say 'I want to be a stay at home mother with a vaguely profitable hobby'. Which is fine, just be clear about it.
Why does it sound great, though? I can't fathom why that'd be the case.

You can't fathom why receiving 100% of your well earned income is a good thing?...
You can't fathom why receiving 100% of your well earned income is a good thing?...

not when you think about anyone else other than yourself...
not when you think about anyone else other than yourself...

So you're saying it's selfish to receive all the income you've worked for?
Reply 179
If being an entrepreneur was easy everyone would do it. I know it's hard, but it's far more fulfilling.

Unless you never stop the string of bankruptcies :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending