The Student Room Group

Is further maths only for the naturally gifted

Scroll to see replies

No it is definitely not just for the gifted. I'm predicted an A in further maths and I was on a B/A boundary. You just have to enjoy maths because it will take up 10 hours.
Original post by Placeboo123
Haha have you been to the STEP lessons at Cambridge yet ?:biggrin:

Yeeah they send me work every 2 weeks, it's amazing. But very easy so far as it's all based on C1 because that's the only topic everyone has done xD
Reply 22
Original post by Katniss15
No it is definitely not just for the gifted. I'm predicted an A in further maths and I was on a B/A boundary. You just have to enjoy maths because it will take up 10 hours.

10 hours? Per week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah 10 hours a week. So you have to really enjoy maths because it's going to be like two lessons of maths each day. On the bright side I do get less homework as the teachers plan it out with each other.
Reply 24
Original post by Katniss15
Yeah 10 hours a week. So you have to really enjoy maths because it's going to be like two lessons of maths each day. On the bright side I do get less homework as the teachers plan it out with each other.

How much of a step up is it from GCSE? Do you understand all the topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't find it too bad actually. You will hear a lot of people saying that the step up is BIG and that you have to be very intelligent to do further maths, but its not the case. They will start you off on Core one, which is mostly GCSE will a few new topics. There will be topics that you struggle with, but I'm sure you would understand it in the end. To be honest I have found the further maths topics to be easier than the singular maths ones.

All in all I would say that further maths isn't harder, it's just more. Hope this helps
Aren't you considered naturally gifted anyway since you're working on grade A/A* for GCSE Maths? Don't doubt yourself, I think you have the perfect capability of doing further maths. Go for it.
Reply 27
Original post by theTeddyBearx
Aren't you considered naturally gifted anyway since you're working on grade A/A* for GCSE Maths? Don't doubt yourself, I think you have the perfect capability of doing further maths. Go for it.

Thanks for the encouragement :smile:

I suppose so however there are a lot of people at my school who are a lot better than me

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as you work hard, its definitely possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Thanks for the encouragement :smile:

I suppose so however there are a lot of people at my school who are a lot better than me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who cares about other people? Focus on yourself, the most you should be worried about is your progress, not others'. And, besides, even if they're better than you then shouldn't that serve you as a boost to get even better yourself? Motivate yourself and you'll ace it :smile:
thanks for my rep, whoever it was :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest