The Student Room Group

Is "just be yourself" good advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobML
Good things come to those who wait my dear!
I see that it is you want a boyfriend you are not truly compatible with; isn't that but a fleeting thing? A phase of desire? What happens when that phase passes or you cannot any longer pretend to be compatible with them yourself? Retain integrity, be yourself, and then your perfect prince will eventually fall for you. and then you live happily ever after and all that jazz

No. That only happens in Hollywood movies. Once you've experienced true heartache only then can you learn from your mistakes and I have.
Reply 61
Original post by queen-bee
No. That only happens in Hollywood movies. Once you've experienced true heartache only then can you learn from your mistakes and I have.

I got carried away soz. Actually just totally ignore me because I've never been in a relationship and it's all so horrible and lonely and I honestly don't know what to think and I never usually post in this part of the forum
Original post by RobML
I got carried away soz. Actually just totally ignore me because I've never been in a relationship and it's all so horrible and lonely and I honestly don't know what to think and I never usually post in this part of the forum and oh god soz.

Dude,lay off the alcohol. I'm in no better position than you. Ive been single for over a year and completely isolated.
Reply 63
Dude,lay off the alcohol. I'm in no better position than you. Ive been single for over a year and completely isolated.

I just don't think that pondering about being yourself or not is the direction to go. I'd step back for more general advice, start from the beginning. Obviously I'm not one to give that advice so I'll stop here if you want me to. A virtual hug is the best I can do :colondollar:
Original post by Sam Walters
Don't insult him.....Foo and I have very similar approaches to our coaching. However where foo has gone down the dating coaching side. I'm a confidence and charisma coach specializing in social anxiety.

I know sure as hell Id hate to be called a PUA.....Unfortunately life coaching and charisma coaching that is aimed primarily at men has been thrown into that term. Such a shame as most of the guys teaching "pick up" arnt really into the whole "pick up" bit at all. But in order to profit on their skills this is what they need to market as.

Teach me confidence and charisma!
Original post by RobML
I just don't think that pondering about being yourself or not is the direction to go. I'd step back for more general advice, start from the beginning. Obviously I'm not one to give that advice so I'll stop here if you want me to. A virtual hug is the best I can do :colondollar:

What I need to do is step up my game,regarding the dating world etc
Reply 66
What I need to do is step up my game,regarding the dating world etc

Then I wish you good luck
Original post by RobML
Then I wish you good luck

Thaaaannnkkkss
Original post by Foo.mp3
With a sample of one (douchebag Russian), great story

Where do you get this crap from? :lolwut:

That’s often true in life, but where uncle Foo is concerned you know you’re always guaranteed to get 100% realtalk

You appear to have conflated crazy feminist slag with complex and intriguing character* :facepalm2:

Yup

I’m a dating coach

News to me :hmmm:

Sample size of 2. My first ex and I lasted a while,I think he just got bored of my character in the end.
I get this 'crap' from your threads/posts. Very great examples of certain characters which you have up on there which I aspire to be.
Well it's always the hot ones who are wild,who seem to have an intriguing and complex character. The rest of us are just plain Janes. One thing you don't seem to realise is that guys don't go for cute,innocent little girls. Instead,they decide to run after the wild types who play hard to get or aren't even relationship material. Why? Because they're a lot fun to be around. They're more ready for anything and everything and probably wouldn't have reservations about sleeping with someone on a first date.
Yup,99.9% of guys just like me for my looks/body and that I belly dance has always been an added bonus,that's it really. Mother had always warned me but never listened and here I am.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sample size of 2. My first ex and I lasted a while,I think he just got bored of my character in the end.
I get this 'crap' from your threads/posts. Very great examples of certain characters which you have up on there which I aspire to be.
Well it's always the hot ones who's are wild,have an intriguing and complex character. The rest of us are just plain Janes. One thing you don't seem to realise is that guys don't go for cute,innocent little girls. Instead,they decide to run after the wild types who play hard to get or aren't even relationship material. Why? Because they're a lot fun to be around. They're more ready for anything and everything and probably wouldn't have reservations about sleeping with someone on a first date.
Yup,99.9% of guys just like me for my looks/body and that I belly dance has always been an added bonus,that's it really. Mother had always warned me but never listened and here I am.

This is true only for certain guys.

I find it at odds with your goal for attracting men that you would be so insecure with yourself. You're more concerned about being boring than you are about your lack confidence which is by far one of the most unattractive personal traits a person can have. Rob ML is right, pretend to be a hot diva all you want but you're deeply entrenched insecurity will come to surface over time. You can't pretend to be 'interesting' indefinitely. Better to work on genuinely improving your confidence and that starts with being happy and secure about who you are.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Oh, for some reason I thought you left him, no?

Perhaps if you are interested in what a person like me goes for you’d do better to pay more attention to posts in which I describe my ideal girlfriend/wifey, rather than posts in which I describe the diverse characters I have dated once or twice; different beasts :rolleyes:

Maybe to you. Quite apart from false associations, there is nevertheless an important balance to be struck between girls who are intriguing/complex on paper (may be faking it/only showing you one side of themselves) and girls who are loving and stable/dependable. Party girls almost never make for decent long term partners, and I personally would avoid like the plague. I wouldn’t even date a loud girl either, they'd just do my head in

Yours is a false dichotomy. I like a girl who is cute at times/among other things, decent/upstanding rather than totally innocent, and not too ‘little’ as in small but younger than me. With all due respect, you do not strike me as a girl who is just this cute little innocent thing so I'd say you're good

Perhaps boys do, but sensible, settled men do not

Again, you seem to have got it twisted. Sleeping with someone on the first date is by no means the be all and end all. Having the capacity to seduce a woman quickly is both fun/exhilarating and something of a (limited) accomplishment, but whether you score on the first or fifth date is irrelevant, if you end up with the girl of your dreams :dancing:

Just as well the one bloke who really counts is in that 0.1% of guys :smile:

Thank you!

Absolutely agree, easier said than done of course but it’s got to be the #1 goal

I left them both for the reason I told you in the past but I'm saying both of them must have been really tired of me being 'myself' so instead they decided to go for sluts who had nothing to offer them but a one night stand :h:
Surely actions speak louder than words? It's one thing to say you would go for a decent/stable/loving girl but then end up dating party type girls? I don't know,I find you confusing. But it's expected of men. I'm sure most of the girls you've dated or been in relationships with in the past have been the wild type who would be up for short term stuff,not really the type to hold back or think twice about their reputation when it comes to sex and I kind of do sympathise with why you have been excited/we're excited about dating them. Boring girls are no fun at all.

That's where you're wrong. You even see it in movies. It's always the good girls who are single,the ones who sleep around and do crazy stuff or act like sluts end up getting any guy they want. Why? Because they know they are high in demand and use that to their advantage and ofcourse,it always works. Most men are desperate to get into the knickers of just about any girl who is a party goer just because she appears hot and has this glam life and please don't deny because we both know it's true. If a guy had the choice of dating a decent girl who's smart and has good morals or a choice of dating a girl who's somewhat smart but parties every weekend or easily get with any guy or sleeps around,he would most likely go with the second girl and that's a fact.
Guys don't genuinely like girls who are hard work and that involves girls who aren't easy and give out on the first date. These type of girls hold themselves highly and I respect them as I follow the same code.i think it separates them from other girls.

Same goes for guys. Girls always go after the guys who let them down, who act tough and way too dominant. It's usually the thoughtful guys who are left being single. But this is how the world works.
The nice girls/guys who actually are decent are not taken into account but the sluts and studs get everything they want.
So it's no wonder why some girls/guys feel like they have to try to put on this fake persona just to impress their dream crush,coz guess what?! Being yourself will never get you anyway these days.
Smart,geeky scientist,Russell group uni graduate,guys only like for my looks,not sleeping around or going clubbing ever weekend
Basically boring

So my type then....ha!

Big up on the scientist front. One of STFC`s slaves here.
So my type then....ha!

Big up on the scientist front. One of STFC`s slaves here.

I'm your type?! Lol What's STFC?
I'm your type?! Lol What's STFC?

Aye, pretty much! What i love is people whom have passions. Scientists are passionate about what they do generally. You're a scientist and you don't know what STFC is?! They only own. RAL. ISIS. CERN and ITER! Not a real scientist then clearly :tongue:
Aye, pretty much! What i love is people whom have passions. Scientists are passionate about what they do generally. You're a scientist and you don't know what STFC is?! They only own. RAL. ISIS. CERN and ITER! Not a real scientist then clearly :tongue:

Oh now I get what you're talking about . I do have a passion and it's the whole bioscience/medicine field. Hopefully it pays off :tongue:
Original post by Foo.mp3
f

managed to pluck up the confidence to ask a girl for her number today.
I like this confidence thing, i think i'm going to stick with it xD
Be the best version of yourself. Excellent advice. Why live your life pretending you're someone you're not/faking to be something else? Anybody worth half a second of your time would never want you to change "the best version of you", be it "friend" or anyone.
Original post by RobML
And obviously beneath those ideal characters is a flawed person. There's a fragile line between them. If someone seems ideal then you just don't know them enough -once you do then that line is always, or at least very easily broken. And that's unpleasant for both parties.

I had spent nearly half my life playing a character because of various insecurities- keeping it up was stressful, soul-destroying, and most importantly I became disconnected from myself and therefore felt even more isolated. That all contributed to depression and anxiety I still have. I don't know if it's easier for adults to pull of but just be careful :smile:

That is so beautifully said :smile: I think being acceptant of one's true self can save us a lot of emotional turmoil. Plus, I know that I am forming a true relationship/friendship with a person when I know their "flaws", i.e. the real person behind the mask. It's not the ideal/"flawless"people that we eventually love, rather it's the ones who, like us, are a little bit broken here and there, and it's those scars that we eventually love.
PS: I don't write lyrics for Drake.
Original post by Foo.mp3
I didn’t realise they’d both cheated, sorry, for some reason I thought you left your first boyfriend because he had issues/had become abusive

Sure, but you have to remember that because of my health a lot of the girls I’ve dated (with the exception of my most recent ex, and girl I met up with from TSR) have been girls I met via online dating e.g. a particular type of girl who: is on there to begin with, attracts me, and responds to my douchey chitchat

Actually all my ex’s have tended to be the sweet/grounded type, and a number of them were relatively placid/un-sexual. I’ve never been seeing a party girl, although I’ve had the odd date with them, and very few of my dates/partners have ever really been down for short term. Furthermore, anyone I’ve ever seen for any length of time has always been themselves

Honey, give yourself some intellectual credit, please. Life is seldom like it is in the movies! :rolleyes:

Crazy sluts aren’t single? Haha. They are eternally single, trust me, guys won’t go there except to say they’ve shagged them, get a high five from their mates, and move on :s-smilie:

Being in-demand is different from being accessible. Both are fine in men, and increase their stock, but the later actually diminishes the stock of a girl, as per the oft used sluts vs. studs infographic

For sure, and most will boot her out of bed the next day, and she’ll have to do the walk of shame, with a killer hangover, tights laddered, bed-headed, makeup smudged everywhere, blubbing to herself, her mascara running down her slutty chops.. it’s a good look :borat:

Why don’t you do a poll and find out, methinks you’ll be surprised with the outcome

Guys don’t like girls who are pointlessly hard work, nor girls who are so easy they’ll get on their back for anyone at the drop of a hat. Go figure! They certainly don’t like girls who are fake, that’s for sure

Yup, because unfortunately there is a correlation between alpha characteristics, being ‘dominant’, and getting away with treating people like crap (by virtue of those attributes e.g. the abundance that comes with them = onto the next girl)

An empty existence, more likely to involve mental/sexual health issues etc

That certainly hasn’t been my experience

Good show :hat2:

After we broke up because of his cheating behaviour,he couldn't take the separation which thus turned into issues/abusive behaviour.

I don't know,from what you've told me about some of your ex's like the cali chick and that other girl you had an open relationship from tsr with,I was kinda shocked you'd even consider a relationship with girls like that. Each to their own I guess.

Yeah but the fact that you'd consider dating party type girls (german girl in your other thread) just goes to show you are open to accepting those types and probably wouldn't rule out a relationship if things went really well. I mean there are some men who stay clear of them but others who would still date them.

Guys in general don't like girls who are reserved or old fashioned I guess. It's no wonder why women are almost ready to do anything and everything within a few hours of meeting a guy they've just met. I guess it's a way to feel accepted,feel like they aren't stuck up but are capable of doing the same thing men are by sleeping around or being promiscuous. Something along those lines.
No need to do a poll.it's pretty evident which men prefer. Hot types or boring plain janes hah!
Sluts are able to work their magic on a guy and I think guys like the chase,the game and the whole 'playing hard to get thing'. They may not like fakes but they certainly wouldn't want to spend their time with a cute/innocent type reserved girl when they could be out there banging party types on weekends.
I would rather fake this certain personality just so I don't lose the guy of my dreams,rather than be my boring self,even if it meant doing stuff for him I would never do in a million year or am accepting of.
Well Ofcourse it wouldn't be right? You're an older,well establish and very confident guy and are able to get almost any type of girl evidently. But for us younger girls it's not so easy out there. experience is everything. Maybe when I reach 30 and i've been out there and have dated abit I can turn around and say,it's okay to just be yourself but for now that's not the advice I would give girls of a similar age as I.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
i'd definitely say don't try to be someone else or be fake, but I think you can try to be the best version of yourself without being fake :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending