The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester University Nursing applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gugu Mhlanga
for those who've had their interviews what kind of questions where on the numeracy test. is the ones that you'd expect on a job application test or is it kind of back to gcse questions?

I've applied at Manchester and I'm hoping to a get a place there. I haven't sent my application yet and there's loads people saying they've already got their places already which makes me extremely nervous

Fractions, ratios, percentages, conversions etc... have a search on Google for sample numeracy tests for nursing. I would recommend that you send your application off as soon as possible. They have already accepted applicants and they may be offering place on a first come first serve basis! xx
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by HannahWaite
Hi:smile: The presentation, numeracy and literacy test are formal however the group interviews are a lot more relaxed. 15 mins for the literacy test, which consisted of 2 questions about nursing and current events. I think this is just to make sure you can compose formal sentences and to see how you write whilst under pressure. Hope this helps xxx

Thanks! That helped my nerves :biggrin: how did you find the maths test?
Reply 62
Hey Mel, I have an interview on the 3rd too!!! Im dreading it, ive been practising SNAP but i fear just going blank during the test! Anyone have an advice on the english written task
????
Original post by _nene95
Hey Mel, I have an interview on the 3rd too!!! Im dreading it, ive been practising SNAP but i fear just going blank during the test! Anyone have an advice on the english written task
????

Hey! I might see you down there if we're in the same group :smile: SNAP has just given the same questions each time though for Level 2 so I don't know if I should class that as practicing :P I say read up on any news about the NHS and nursing
Reply 64
Lol I know, hopefully the questions will be similar or the same ones, I heard someone say they do come up the practice questions. will do, Goodluck tomorrow!
Original post by _nene95
????

I applied for Adult Nursing, had an interview last Wednesday and got an offer :smile:

We had the English written task first after a short break once the talk was finished. It is two questions with about 1/2 a page on each. Definitely read something on the NHS and news and make sure you have about 5 key bullet points, particularly something you found engaging as its easier to remember. They stick to the 15 minutes so focus on showing clarity, good punctuation and grammar.

In terms of SNAP. Don't worry. Everyone really takes their time and 30 mins out of the hour was the earliest people left. Breathe. Read the questions and brush up on the number questions so percentages, fractions and problem solving at GCSE level. Any conversions they will give you the way to do it so 1 metre being equivalent to 50 inches or whatever. Its general maths and not the clinical maths at level 2.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by _nene95
Lol I know, hopefully the questions will be similar or the same ones, I heard someone say they do come up the practice questions. will do, Goodluck tomorrow!

Hey! How did you find it? Have they said anything to you yet? :smile:
Reply 67
i got a place woooooo!!!!!!!!
Original post by _nene95
i got a place woooooo!!!!!!!!

Me too!! Well done! :biggrin: is this your top choice?xx
Reply 69
Hey
Where have you got places at :wink: manchester x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by jadeey97
Me too!! Well done! :biggrin: is this your top choice?xx

Yes it is!! Well done woo!! X
Reply 71
I got an offer too :smile: I shouldn't worry about the Literacy test. I barely finished the first question and wrote like 4 lines on the second question. However, I think the test is just there to determine whether we can write fluently, and form a paragraph using basic Literacy skills (grammar, punctuation, vocab etc).

Interview went good. I was literally the only boy amongst about 50-70 other applicants. They started with "why do you want to be a nurse". Really, you should have an idea on what your answer would be for this. Personally, I prepared a whole paragraph to say, which I messed up by fumbling over my words and forgetting the other half of the reason why I chose to do nursing haha.

After that, they were all scenario questions in a form of an open discussion. However, there was one question where they asked us individually, and they picked what order of people to do it in. I was picked last, which was really difficult as everyone have already said everything there was to say, but I managed to think outside the box and pull something out.

After having done 2 interviews (UoM and MMU) and getting offers, I have learnt that they are interested in the skill set you have acquired that will make you a good nurse. You should try and use things like your A levels, academic qualities, extra curricular activities to link it with. Trust me, there is always something. I managed to incorporate having done English Lit, and Dance for A level into it and they were very impressed with the links I've made (judging from their reaction).

Also, the health education are enforcing the NHS core values into new uni students, ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY IN EVERY SINGLE UNIVERSITY, whether they say it or not, they are looking for qualities that link with these values. Some such as MMU, were very focused on their decision for offers on the idea of how much the applicants reflect and show qualities of the NHS core values.

Having thought that I did really bad, and literally mumbled and stumbled over my words, I got an offer the following day after the interview, which I'm really happy about :smile:

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate on messaging me :smile:

P.S - IT'S NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK

Gian xoxo (Adult nursing applicant)
Original post by gian121
I got an offer too :smile: I shouldn't worry about the Literacy test. I barely finished the first question and wrote like 4 lines on the second question. However, I think the test is just there to determine whether we can write fluently, and form a paragraph using basic Literacy skills (grammar, punctuation, vocab etc).

Interview went good. I was literally the only boy amongst about 50-70 other applicants. They started with "why do you want to be a nurse". Really, you should have an idea on what your answer would be for this. Personally, I prepared a whole paragraph to say, which I messed up by fumbling over my words and forgetting the other half of the reason why I chose to do nursing haha.

After that, they were all scenario questions in a form of an open discussion. However, there was one question where they asked us individually, and they picked what order of people to do it in. I was picked last, which was really difficult as everyone have already said everything there was to say, but I managed to think outside the box and pull something out.

After having done 2 interviews (UoM and MMU) and getting offers, I have learnt that they are interested in the skill set you have acquired that will make you a good nurse. You should try and use things like your A levels, academic qualities, extra curricular activities to link it with. Trust me, there is always something. I managed to incorporate having done English Lit, and Dance for A level into it and they were very impressed with the links I've made (judging from their reaction).

Also, the health education are enforcing the NHS core values into new uni students, ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY IN EVERY SINGLE UNIVERSITY, whether they say it or not, they are looking for qualities that link with these values. Some such as MMU, were very focused on their decision for offers on the idea of how much the applicants reflect and show qualities of the NHS core values.

Having thought that I did really bad, and literally mumbled and stumbled over my words, I got an offer the following day after the interview, which I'm really happy about :smile:

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate on messaging me :smile:

P.S - IT'S NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK

Gian xoxo (Adult nursing applicant)

So is UoM your firm?
Reply 73
Original post by jadeey97
So is UoM your firm?

Im not entirely sure yet because I'm waiting for a reply for an interview from UoLiverpool, UoCardiff, and King's college London and im stuck between UoM, UoL, and KCL, but Manchester is a pretty strong contender it will definitely be either my first or second choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Hi guys!
Probably a bit early but has anyone started looking at accommodation yet? Very confused over which campus is the best to go for as a nursing student - anyone have any thoughts??
Reply 75
Anyone else have an interview for adult nursing on 4th Feb?? Very nervous, been trying to prepare for it as much as I can but worried my nerves will get the better of me and I'll forget everything, haha!
Original post by EThom12
Hi guys!
Probably a bit early but has anyone started looking at accommodation yet? Very confused over which campus is the best to go for as a nursing student - anyone have any thoughts??

I've just applied for accommodation but they don't have any specifics for our course, it just depends on you as a person. Like fallowfield is notorious for being the party hub and say if you go to Victoria it's quieter and so forth
Reply 77
Hi everyone, this is going to be a strange one but here goes!

Congrats on everyone who was offered a place. But do you all have masses of experience or whatever? I only ask as I applied for Adult Nursing at Manchester and I've just been rejected without even being offered an interview. I'm not trying to sound arrogant but I'm genuinely quite surprised. I already work for the NHS, I've been an HCA at a GP surgery for a few years, I'm well versed in the NHS core values, have a very good skill set, and basically I'm very experienced at a lot of the things nurses already do. I got good GCSE and A-level results, an excellent reference letter from my lead GP too.

I'm pretty stunned and disappointed as Manchester was going to be my first choice!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Lange88
Hi everyone, this is going to be a strange one but here goes!

Congrats on everyone who was offered a place. But do you all have masses of experience or whatever? I only ask as I applied for Adult Nursing at Manchester and I've just been rejected without even being offered an interview. I'm not trying to sound arrogant but I'm genuinely quite surprised. I already work for the NHS, I've been an HCA at a GP surgery for a few years, I'm well versed in the NHS core values, have a very good skill set, and basically I'm very experienced at a lot of the things nurses already do. I got good GCSE and A-level results, an excellent reference letter from my lead GP too.

I'm pretty stunned and disappointed as Manchester was going to be my first choice!

have you heard back from anywhere else
Reply 79
Original post by Reeny26
have you heard back from anywhere else

I have an interview for Salford but got rejected from Manchester and Manchester Met. I had my heart set on Manchester!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending