The Student Room Group

Unprofessional running of course

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cjonesguirar
Yes. three 3 hour lectures hence why it annoyed me that they did go to waste. BTW more than half failed.

I get why you're annoyed but if you wanted them to go over something then you should have asked them during the session or saw them in office hours. I'm sure you know this but it's not their job to go round speaking to every student asking if they're ok with everything, you have to ask.
Reply 21
Yes. three 3 hour lectures hence why it annoyed me that they did go to waste. BTW more than half failed.

According to this and your original post, you had nine hours of revision timetabled for *one* exam??? That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm not surprised the lecturer didn't fully engage with it. Any student who seriously needs nine hours of lecture-based revision for a single exam at uni second year level, probably doesn't stand a great chance of passing anyway. The failure rate tells me more about the students than it does about the uni.
Original post by Klix88
According to this and your original post, you had nine hours of revision timetabled for *one* exam??? That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm not surprised the lecturer didn't fully engage with it. Any student who seriously needs nine hours of lecture-based revision for a single exam at uni second year level, probably doesn't stand a great chance of passing anyway. The failure rate tells me more about the students than it does about the uni.

Listen, she is paid to lecture, you can't deny that. I actually thought those lectures were wasted.

I'll add one more thing. I met guys who are amazing at mathematics, top of the class. They struggle quite significantly with a dodgy lecturer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to update I did start to talk about these issues - and yes people did agree with me. However of-course they do not want anyone to fail. The university do question why some people failed. But the fact some people failed means there has been an issue. Not always is a person being lazy. A guy like this just dropped out.

A few of us were so surprised that we got less than 40 percent or less for an assignment! Something has got to be questioned here.

On the course I am talking about, the preparation for assignments was virtually none existent. Now I think of it, this is more of the root problem.
Reply 24

On the course I am talking about, the preparation for assignments was virtually none existent. Now I think of it, this is more of the root problem.

What sort of preparation would you expect?

On my course, we were given the assignment brief and if we didn't understand anything, we were expected to proactively contact the person who set it for clarification. There were a couple of times a lecturer had so many queries that they realised the assignment brief was flawed and laid on an extra Q&A session to ensure that everyone had the same assistance. However this wasn't routine.
Your course management isn't the problem here. :no:

I think that you're expecting more than you get at uni. At uni you need to put in the revision outside, if it's a drop in session then the lecturer should be around to help with any issues you're coming across, but they're not going to guide you through it all.

Additionally, I assume that you hand in your assignments via an assignment box or room? Therefore it would not be your lecturer's fault for taking it late, it'd be the exam office. Again, not your course leadership. You can often hand in a day late with grade penalties.

I'm not sure how you'd suggest improving either of the above. It's up to you to ask questions - I'm willing to bet that they ask for questions about the assignments and your lecturer will be around outside of lectures to help you out.
Original post by Roving Fish
Your course management isn't the problem here. :no:

I think that you're expecting more than you get at uni. At uni you need to put in the revision outside, if it's a drop in session then the lecturer should be around to help with any issues you're coming across, but they're not going to guide you through it all.

Additionally, I assume that you hand in your assignments via an assignment box or room? Therefore it would not be your lecturer's fault for taking it late, it'd be the exam office. Again, not your course leadership. You can often hand in a day late with grade penalties.

I'm not sure how you'd suggest improving either of the above. It's up to you to ask questions - I'm willing to bet that they ask for questions about the assignments and your lecturer will be around outside of lectures to help you out.

Ours are handed in lessons. These were not drop-in sessions. they were actually lectures. Some are handed in late and just back dated basically.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ours are handed in lessons. These were not drop-in sessions. they were actually lectures. Some are handed in late and just back dated basically.

Our course leader is just wayyy to. soft and a nice relaxed person. Which isn't good when you need to run a good in a professional manner.
Our course leader is just wayyy to. soft and a nice relaxed person. Which isn't good when you need to run a good in a professional manner.

Mind you a few people said they had similar course leaders.
Mind you a few people said they had similar course leaders.

You're class rep... This would indicate that you're part of an SU or Uni initiative where you can feed this back?
Hi, I am attending a degree course. I'm not sure how many people went to university but the course i'm doing is being run so unprofessionally.

I am actually thinking of complaining about my course now officially.

I had a few issues.

We have a guy always hand his assignments in late the next day (4 so far) which is an automatic fail (or should be). He has no reason to, no excuse just leaves them until the last minute and passes.

Couple of people hand them in on time and fail by couple/few points and have to retake the whole assignment. My main argument being that he also technically failed and they passed them anyway. It really annoys everyone. There are only eight people on my course.

We also had an exam with three revision sessions. Some of us really relied on the revision. Being a lecture, I assumed that the lecturer would be lecturing about past papers etc. She sat there and did her own work... really an easy lesson for her. A couple of us really needed more intense revision.

Another issue same lecturer we had two assignments to do in one module. She gave the feedback for the first just AFTER the second one was given in. Some people barley passed. The feedback was just too late to boost the second...

I'm actually class rep but don't see how I can raise the comments.

Firstly, the guy that hands in work late. You don't know his reasons for this, you have no idea whatsoever. If he has handed in multiple pieces of work late and the University has not marked him down for it then the University will have their reasons and it is not your place to judge.

Secondly, revision sessions. At University level you cannot expect to be spoon fed everything. If you need help with work then take some bloody initiative, go and speak to a lecturer outside of class and ask for help. You're expected to be able to think for yourself and not just blindly rely on people giving you everything.

Thirdly, don't give us the bull**** about "we needed the feedback from the first assignment before we could do the second". Anybody with half a brain can go and look back over their own work and see where they have messed up. If I hand in something, then go and read over my own work a few days later, I can generally pick up 90% of the areas that I end up losing marks on. It's not difficult to do, and at University level you are expected to look at and analyse your own work and use that as a way of improving.

In short, stop whining about this and actually try getting off your arse and working.
You're class rep... This would indicate that you're part of an SU or Uni initiative where you can feed this back?

I am, which makes it even more awkward. Maybe I need to step it up and stop being so nice.

I was speaking to a guy the other day (he was 42) who is doing a second degree. He said at his age he does not care about offending lecturers etc. any more if things are not up to pace enough.

He had the opinion most young people won't say anything and just scrape by.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Hard to believe you're considered an adult when going to University.
Original post by A5ko
Hard to believe you're considered an adult when going to University.

Let's keep it friendly and constructive please. :smile:
Reply 34
Let's keep it friendly and constructive please. :smile:

Bah, you win this round.
Original post by Juno
For my course we have to buy the past papers - £1.25 for a pdf download, or more if you want a printed and posted copy.

That's outrageous!!!!

What course is this???
Original post by rayquaza17
That's outrageous!!!!

What course is this???

A few people told me it wasn't a great university.

It is all fair saying, we are mature students, but this is a salaried course. Some people are late everyday. And it is suppose to be a professional thing. I still can't believe it.
(edited 9 years ago)
A few people told me it wasn't a great university.

It is all fair saying, we are mature students, but this is a salaried course. Some people are late everyday. And it is suppose to be a professional thing. I still can't believe it.

I was asking Juno about the exam papers. Awkward :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending