The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

It irks me so much because if Balotelli had just scored 2/3 of the 5/6 sitters he's missed, we'd have 5+ more points right now and would be cruising to third place.
Original post by jam277
Chelsea under Mourinho don't really do never top level talent and if we do they're usually out of the door in a couple seasons.

I think there's little doubt it was a silly signing by you lot and that there was more than a hint of 'let's **** Liverpool over' about it.
Original post by KFC Buffet
30m euros is 24-25m pounds? Which means it's hardly much more than Balo, and we basically had 50m to spend on a striker last summer.

Wrt the options in general, I just threw out a few names. I'm not a European football expert and I don't know the names of every decent striker around. I could throw out a few more, like Jackson Martinez, Firmino, Adrian Ramos, Immobile, whoever.

The point is that you said initially that 'there was a lack of options'.

Which is a club-peddled line, and absolute bull****.

Balotelli didn't a) fit our style, b) come with the required goals record, or c) come at a vast cut price, d) come with guaranteed scope for growth, e) have the required mentality.

Now C, D and E are minor points, but the main things are that he didn't fit our style AT ALL, and he didn't come with a reasonable goalscoring record AT ALL.

It is an awful, awful signing. I slagged him off all summer before he came to us, once he was our player I guess we all dreamed that Brendan could get some of his potential out, but we all underestimated how ingrained in his ways Balotelli is and how he just does not fit our footballing philosophy or ethic in any way at all.

AND THAT WOULD ALL BE FINE IF HE COULD SCORE GOALS OCCASIONALLY, but he can't. His finishing is absolutely atrocious statistically, it has been for most of his career, and it's been even worse than trend for us.

Genuinely the worst signing we've made under Brendan and your suggestion that he was there because of a lack of options is just wrong. I don't know the truth, idk if Brendan's superiors or Brendan's ego signed him, the truth is that he's just wrong in every way.

This has turned into a rant about what a **** signing he was but the point stands that there were better options if Brendan wanted an experienced striker and there were far more options if he would have been happy with youth as well.

Balotelli cost £16mil so we would've needed another 50% to be able to buy Bacca, which is a lot of money. I presume Rodgers/the transfer committee decided to spend more money on squad depth rather than just one striker? We obviously had the funds initially since we offered £35mil for Sanchez. Not sure what happened after that.

Completely agree that it was a misguided transfer and I'm not sure who made the final call or why it seems sensible at the time.

Even then, I can still see why it happened considering the circumstances.
No-one knows how we stand wrt FFP because the accounts for this season aren't within our reach. Considering the market isn't really an issue for me, spending an extra 5m now instead of the summer is worth the 6 months acclimatisation and the boost in the race for top four. Easily worth it.

The club worked hard on Sturridge when he got his initial injury for 6 weeks. And no doubt when he got the next one for a further two months. And no doubt after that as well. He can't be relied upon.

I'm not suggesting Raheem isn't a serviceable striker, because he is. Anyone who knows me on these forums knows that I'm Raheem's biggest fan and wish I was one of his 14 baby mommas. He's a good enough 3/4th choice striker, but he doesn't have the composure in his finishing to lead us to top four. Statistically he was immense at finishing last year and he's doing pretty good this year too, but I think we all know that he doesn't have the technique/power, and the goalscorer's instinct, that someone like Daniel does. That's all I was saying. He'll score, but not enough for the super run of form that we need to get top four.

I'm sure the club have a handle on it and I imagine FSG let Rodgers spend as much as was available. We weren't exactly shy with how much money we spent.

Well it seemed to be the England duty which really screwed Sturridge up. Really do hate that Owl.

Haha pretty sure Sterling came out on record and said he's only got one kid.

If we don't buy a top striker in the summer, I'm going to be furious though.
[video="youtube;NoS2TrZppmI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoS2TrZppmI[/video]

The club must have watched this video and not the recent years of Balotelli before signing..
Coutinho new contract confirmed.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/179328-coutinho-signs-new-long-term-lfc-deal

Merseyside derby will remain as the late kick-off. Really hope there's no trouble so it doesn't always have to be an early kick-off in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-31111194
Original post by Zerforax
[video="youtube;NoS2TrZppmI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoS2TrZppmI[/video]

The club must have watched this video and not the recent years of Balotelli before signing..

That must be an imposter. Balotelli actually making runs into the box? Normally he just stands on the halfway line...
Good lad, Philippe.
He's actually making good runs behind the back line in that video.
Balotelli cost £16mil so we would've needed another 50% to be able to buy Bacca, which is a lot of money. I presume Rodgers/the transfer committee decided to spend more money on squad depth rather than just one striker? We obviously had the funds initially since we offered £35mil for Sanchez. Not sure what happened after that.

Completely agree that it was a misguided transfer and I'm not sure who made the final call or why it seems sensible at the time.

Even then, I can still see why it happened considering the circumstances.

We had the money, no matter what.

I can't believe it happened at all. Disgraceful
I'm sure the club have a handle on it and I imagine FSG let Rodgers spend as much as was available. We weren't exactly shy with how much money we spent.

Well it seemed to be the England duty which really screwed Sturridge up. Really do hate that Owl.

Haha pretty sure Sterling came out on record and said he's only got one kid.

If we don't buy a top striker in the summer, I'm going to be furious though.

England got him the original injury, the rest has been with us. He's not dependable enough right now and it's a poor gamble to rely on him and Raheem for the rest of the year.

The least we could have done was overspent on Origi returning early
This is utter rubbish btw, no matter what Rodgers says.

There's 20+ 'great' strikers across Europe who were available last summer, probably 50+ who had better open play scoring records than Mario.

Either he was forced upon Brendan or Brendan ego-tripped and thought he was the one who could unlock Mario's potential.

Now I'm not saying we had a chance with the likes of Mandzukic or Griezzman (who I wanted all summer) but to suggest Balotelli was our only option when there was the likes of Bacca, Volland, Lacazette, Berardi, Balde Diao, whichever names you want to bring up. The truth is that you can actually play football manager in this instance and just say random names because the idea that not a single better player than Balotelli, who's scored something like 6 open play goals in two seasons, was available, is silly.

Balotelli's not bad in the game actually. Lacazette, Bacca and Volland are all great though.

My favourite is Berardi though. Pacy, creative, good dribbler. Him and Depay on the wings with my Everton team was just delightful to watch.

Would have done nothing for us or the player.

He's without a goal since October, it makes no sense bringing him here to sit him on the bench, where his confidence will slowly ebb away more and more. He needs to be on a football pitch.
England got him the original injury, the rest has been with us. He's not dependable enough right now and it's a poor gamble to rely on him and Raheem for the rest of the year.

Not sure Origi would've added more than Sterling/Lambert/Balotelli/Borini - he's not having a stellar season at Lille. Be interesting to see how Ibe gets long since we recalled him from a loan he was doing well on.
Not sure Origi would've added more than Sterling/Lambert/Balotelli/Borini - he's not having a stellar season at Lille. Be interesting to see how Ibe gets long since we recalled him from a loan he was doing well on.

Do you think we'll go back to the 4-1-2-1-2 with Balotelli and Sturridge?

I know we've been playing well with the 4-3-3 but if we can get Balotelli and Sturridge to link up like they did against Tottenham together then we might be in business. I'm sure Rodgers would like to incorporate Balo in to the team if only to get our £16m's worth. We played really well against Spurs with the 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond earlier this season. Only problem is, Markovic and Moreno only seem to have settled in to the wingback style.
Sturridge, Sterling, Jackson Martinez, Origi, Balotelli, Ibe strike force for next season bros.

Can't wait.
Balotelli will be out in the summer. There's no way he'll stay.
Original post by Dprince
Do you think we'll go back to the 4-1-2-1-2 with Balotelli and Sturridge?

I know we've been playing well with the 4-3-3 but if we can get Balotelli and Sturridge to link up like they did against Tottenham together then we might be in business. I'm sure Rodgers would like to incorporate Balo in to the team if only to get our £16m's worth. We played really well against Spurs with the 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond earlier this season. Only problem is, Markovic and Moreno only seem to have settled in to the wingback style.

No I don't think so. I can't see Rodgers changing the current set up which seems to cover our defensive weaknesses but also gets the best out of Sterling/Coutinho. Our form of 16/18 points in the last 6 games and great performances against Chelsea in the league cup shows little need to change.

There's no need to change our entire system to accommodate Balotelli either. Don't forget that Lallana and Markovic cost more than Balotelli so why not have a set up which suits them?

Original post by Mackay
Balotelli will be out in the summer. There's no way he'll stay.

Didn't his agent say he'd only leave for £80mil :colondollar:
It's tough because he's running out of clubs to go to. Is there anyone else in Italy or England who will take him? We might struggle to sell him unless he scores a couple of wonder goals.

Didn't his agent say he'd only leave for £80mil :colondollar:
It's tough because he's running out of clubs to go to. Is there anyone else in Italy or England who will take him? We might struggle to sell him unless he scores a couple of wonder goals.

Turkey/Russia makes sense - he'll get paid big, and clubs will indulge him. He'll have to put up with the racism from the crowd, though.
Original post by Mackay
Turkey/Russia makes sense - he'll get paid big, and clubs will indulge him. He'll have to put up with the racism from the crowd, though.

Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Latest