The Student Room Group

Time to drop out & go for Apprenticeship?

Bit of background.

Ever since I finished my A-Levels I always challenged the idea of whether University was for me. The idea of being in the education system much longer, earning little-to-no money and potentially not enjoying it swayed me in the direction of apprenticeships, however I eventually chose to head to University at one of the top 20 in the country.

Since the Christmas break, I've started thinking about how much I am not enjoying the degree in which I am studying, Computer Science. I feel like the only (interesting but taught very wrong) part of my degree is the Java, that we are learning. Every other aspect (some topics are so basic, and boring that it makes me wonder why people teach them) doesn't really appeal to me (Not a massive drinker/party animal, also live off campus so most social stuff is out the window).

Three weeks ago I decided to try and contact a business I was in touch with as I finished my A Levels. I did so, and their Director asked me to come down for an interview. I went in, and just the work environment really clicked with me. It's a Remote Service Engineer position, meaning I would be working remotely organizing bits and bobs for their customers, fixing any issues I could from the office. It would be a sub £10,000 pa apprenticeship for the first 18 months, and after completing it, it would be £15,000 pa with chance of increases yearly.

I suppose I am just here looking for advice. I am also a Special Constable (part time), and currently I have one day off every two weeks (which is also one of the reasons why a lovely 9-4 Mon-Fri job seemed to work better for me, leaving my weekends free to do actual stuff I need to do, and more importantly, relax).

I am just looking for advice really and information from those who may of dropped out of university and gone into apprenticeships. It's something that I never wanted to do (become a drop out), but I have something solid that will work there and I just need advice from others potentially in the same position and/or just gone through the transition or have done before.

Appreciate you reading this!
Reply 1
You need to do what is right for you and what you think you'll be happy doing. Honestly, if you feel you'd be better off doing the apprenticeship then you should go for that. I have known several people stay on degrees they're not happy doing and in the end, after suffering with morale and motivation they slump into a state of apathy and depression and in a lot of cases end up with a 2:2 or a third. If you feel you could lose motivation on the degree to the point where you cant even be bothered anymore then I think you should go for the apprenticeship. Remember though, that's just my two cents. You need to do what will make you happy.
Reply 2
Original post by harrykirkby
Bit of background.

Ever since I finished my A-Levels I always challenged the idea of whether University was for me. The idea of being in the education system much longer, earning little-to-no money and potentially not enjoying it swayed me in the direction of apprenticeships, however I eventually chose to head to University at one of the top 20 in the country.

Since the Christmas break, I've started thinking about how much I am not enjoying the degree in which I am studying, Computer Science. I feel like the only (interesting but taught very wrong) part of my degree is the Java, that we are learning. Every other aspect (some topics are so basic, and boring that it makes me wonder why people teach them) doesn't really appeal to me (Not a massive drinker/party animal, also live off campus so most social stuff is out the window).

Three weeks ago I decided to try and contact a business I was in touch with as I finished my A Levels. I did so, and their Director asked me to come down for an interview. I went in, and just the work environment really clicked with me. It's a Remote Service Engineer position, meaning I would be working remotely organizing bits and bobs for their customers, fixing any issues I could from the office. It would be a sub £10,000 pa apprenticeship for the first 18 months, and after completing it, it would be £15,000 pa with chance of increases yearly.

I suppose I am just here looking for advice. I am also a Special Constable (part time), and currently I have one day off every two weeks (which is also one of the reasons why a lovely 9-4 Mon-Fri job seemed to work better for me, leaving my weekends free to do actual stuff I need to do, and more importantly, relax).

I am just looking for advice really and information from those who may of dropped out of university and gone into apprenticeships. It's something that I never wanted to do (become a drop out), but I have something solid that will work there and I just need advice from others potentially in the same position and/or just gone through the transition or have done before.

I'm currently thinking of doing the same thing as i don't think University is for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by maxi365
I'm currently thinking of doing the same thing as i don't think University is for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I left uni, and am doing the apprenticeship! So if you need any help, please ask!
I left uni, and am doing the apprenticeship! So if you need any help, please ask!

Awesome, I know you only just started but are you enjoying it so far?
Reply 5

Great, I'm looking for apprenticeships in business administration. How long did it take you to get one. I'm using the gov.uk website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Awesome, I know you only just started but are you enjoying it so far?

Yeah, loving it at the moment thanks! It's going really well, much more what I am interested in.

@maxi365, I went direct (to the business) so mine only took a day or two.
Reply 7
Yeah, loving it at the moment thanks! It's going really well, much more what I am interested in.

@maxi365, I went direct (to the business) so mine only took a day or two.

So you didn't apply for any apprenticeships online? I can go to a business direct easily but they have advertised it online? 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by maxi365
So you didn't apply for any apprenticeships online? I can go to a business direct easily but they have advertised it online? 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't go through the gov.uk method, no. I went through e-mail with their director and eventually got an interview.
Reply 9
I didn't go through the gov.uk method, no. I went through e-mail with their director and eventually got an interview.

Oh ok. What apprenticeship are you doing? I just got rejected by one even though i met the requirements. Also, I'm 19, how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Oh ok. What apprenticeship are you doing? I just got rejected by one even though i met the requirements. Also, I'm 19, how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 18, and I'm doing a level 3 IT Professionals apprenticeship.
Bit of background.

CompSci is a respectable degree BUT if you dont land a minimum of 2:1 then youve wasted your time. If it was me I would take the apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Rugar Rell
CompSci is a respectable degree BUT if you dont land a minimum of 2:1 then youve wasted your time. If it was me I would take the apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And of course if you do get the 2.1 you have a reasonable chance of getting a job as a software developer, or similar, at circa £25k p.a. year one, hopefully rising thereafter.

My son's flatmate who graduated in summer 2013 is I understand now earning a fair bit more than that, (not London, Edinburgh) and my son started in 2014 at circa £25k plus benefits/ pension etc with a large multinational. Both got 2.1 degrees from what seems to be labelled a top 20 UK university.

In the long term if you do the apprenticeship it may limit your career progression, yes you will probably find work in IT support but to progress up the greasy pole I suspect a degree in Comp Sci might well be useful.

However at the end of the day the OP has to be happy with what he is doing, life is too short to be miserable. He just needs to be really sure he is thinking this through properly before he decides, it is the sort of decision that in 8-10 years time may be tricky to reverse.
Reply 13
Bit of background.

You'll regret it ... 15k pa wouldn't do an awful lot and depending where you live you may just be working to live and have no luxuries .

What year of computer science are you in?

If the subject is simple for you why not just stay there and complete the degree and leave to a 25k job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending