The Student Room Group

University of Amsterdam International Students

Hello! I've just sent off my application for a Master's in Dutch Art at the University of Amsterdam.

I know so little about studying and living there so thought talking about it on here could help.

Has anyone else applied/studied/studies in Amsterdam that could help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Housing in Amsterdam seems really tricky too, I haven't been able to find much help online yet
Reply 2
Original post by naomi-jane
Hello! I've just sent off my application for a Master's in Dutch Art at the University of Amsterdam.

I know so little about studying and living there so thought talking about it on here could help.

Has anyone else applied/studied/studies in Amsterdam that could help?

I applied to the UvA graduate school of social sciences.
Reply 3
Original post by dye2013
I applied to the UvA graduate school of social sciences.

Cool. Have you heard back from them yet? I'm still waiting for a response but I only applied in the February deadline so it says replies won't come till the end of March
Reply 4
Cool. Have you heard back from them yet? I'm still waiting for a response but I only applied in the February deadline so it says replies won't come till the end of March

I submitted my application early January. I heard from them a few days after because they wanted more documents. But it says on the school's website that we get responses around May-June...and that's a really long wait.
Reply 5
Original post by dye2013
I submitted my application early January. I heard from them a few days after because they wanted more documents. But it says on the school's website that we get responses around May-June...and that's a really long wait.

Really? maybe it's different between departments. It said on mine that if you applied before January then you would hear by the end of Ferburary; if you apply before 1st February you'll hear by the end of March; and if you apply after April then you'll hear in May.

It must be different departments.

What are you doing about housing? It seems really confusing
Reply 6
Really? maybe it's different between departments. It said on mine that if you applied before January then you would hear by the end of Ferburary; if you apply before 1st February you'll hear by the end of March; and if you apply after April then you'll hear in May.

It must be different departments.

What are you doing about housing? It seems really confusing

Yes, I think it may be different for different departments.
I haven't figured anything out for housing yet. I want to get an acceptance first before I worry about it.
Reply 7
Hi! So I have quite an idea of applying to European Studies in Amsterdam. I love the course programme but I was wondering.. since there are only 3 bachelors taught in English, there aren't many international students right?
If someone has been studying there for the Bachelor, how is it like to live and study in this Uni? Cause I guess everyone would speak Dutch to one other. Also, is it REALLY that expensive to live in Amsterdam?

The degree really intrigues me, the Uni is very high rated for humanities but I have a few doubts because of these reasons.. If anyone could help me I would be very thankful!
Original post by elisaat
Hi! So I have quite an idea of applying to European Studies in Amsterdam. I love the course programme but I was wondering.. since there are only 3 bachelors taught in English, there aren't many international students right?
If someone has been studying there for the Bachelor, how is it like to live and study in this Uni? Cause I guess everyone would speak Dutch to one other. Also, is it REALLY that expensive to live in Amsterdam?

The degree really intrigues me, the Uni is very high rated for humanities but I have a few doubts because of these reasons.. If anyone could help me I would be very thankful!

I'm in the same boat as you, except thinking of applying to economics. Are there many international students in UvA?
Reply 9
I got standing offers from Tilburg, Utrecht and Amsterdam. However, currently I am more thinking about Utrecht because I heard that is more of a student friendly city and the Uni itself seems to be more accommodating for international students such as myself. Also getting a affordable good place in Utrecht is already hell, I don't know difficult and expensive it must be in Amsterdam.
Original post by elisaat

Amsterdam is the hardest place in The Netherlands to find accommodation. It's basically the Dutch equivalent of London.
Reply 11
I am in the same situation, thinking about enrolling in Economics & Business as I have already been accepted but still doubtful as I really want to be with international students and I read a bad review on their facebook.. Apparently in this course there are about 75% of international students though.

Have you made up your mind about going there or to another uni? I am also considering CBS but I won't find out until August! I am also considering both as I need a uni with a good reputation to use my degree overseas but not sure about how UvA stands internationally?
Oh, I'm the opposite, I love international students. I've lived here all my life, attended both Dutch schools and an International school, and believe me, it's not always fun to be in a class full of Dutch people. They're lovely people in general, don't get me wrong. It's just I enjoyed my experience far, far better in an international environment rather than in a Dutch environment.

So that's why I was wondering which universities have the most international students? I've applied to Erasmus (Rotterdam), Utrecht, and Groningen for economics. Ofcourse, the best university will be my top choice but I would really prefer to go to the most international university. Does anyone know which one has the most international students?
Reply 13
Original post by gingerbreadman
Oh, I'm the opposite, I love international students.

Are you referring to my post? I mean I am happy about 75% international students. I am not from the Netherlands and lived the past few years out of my home country. I would also like to keep that international environment :smile:
Hey there (:

I've applied for the bachelor in economics and business at the university of amsterdam too. Haven't been accepted yet, but I've got standing offers from Rotterdam and Utrecht. However, I really hope to pass the mathematics entrace test and enroll at the uva. The thing is that I too have read some comment on fb that said that there are almost no international students in class... Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Hey guys,
I've applied for business and economics and am going to be taking the maths test tomorrow and was hoping you could give me some hints and tips.
The 2012 test on the website has some questions where it asks you to round your number to three decimals, is that real life? And does anyone know where I can find more past papers.

Thanks!
Hey there!
So, how did it go? :smile:
Hey,
I went to the open day at the University of Amsterdam and attended a presentation about the Business and Economics Bachelor. The programme seems very international, this is something that was emphasized many times what an international environment you would be studying in, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Amsterdam is a very international city also, so you'll be sure to meet many people from abroad there. :smile:
I have a question about your applications. You wrote that you applied to several unis in Holland. Are the offer courses you applied for also in English and do you know if they are a part of the draw procedure on Studielink? I have applied to one uni in Holland so far and yesterday when trying to enter my other choices, I couldn't because it said it's only possible to apply to one uni/course with draw procedure (which is the case for all English speaking programmes). Do you know if there is a way around this? I'd hate to have to choose only one uni I can apply to. Any help would be appreciated greatly! Thank you. :smile:
Original post by lilylilylily
Hey there (:

I've applied for the bachelor in economics and business at the university of amsterdam too. Haven't been accepted yet, but I've got standing offers from Rotterdam and Utrecht. However, I really hope to pass the mathematics entrace test and enroll at the uva. The thing is that I too have read some comment on fb that said that there are almost no international students in class... Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Hey,
I went to the open day at the University of Amsterdam and attended a presentation about the Business and Economics Bachelor. The programme seems very international, this is something that was emphasized many times what an international environment you would be studying in, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Amsterdam is a very international city also, so you'll be sure to meet many people from abroad there. :smile:
I have a question about your applications. You wrote that you applied to several unis in Holland. Are the offer courses you applied for also in English and do you know if they are a part of the draw procedure on Studielink? I have applied to one uni in Holland so far and yesterday when trying to enter my other choices, I couldn't because it said it's only possible to apply to one uni/course with draw procedure (which is the case for all English speaking programmes). Do you know if there is a way around this? I'd hate to have to choose only one uni I can apply to. Any help would be appreciated greatly! Thank you. :smile:
Hey,
I have been admitted to Artificial Intelligence Program at University of Amsterdam, but i have read online (from multiple sources) that employers prefer Dutch Students, not just because of the language but cause of relief from the hassle of getting international students a visa.
Any ideas how much of this is true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending