The Student Room Group

I got a speeding fine!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laomedeia
I was doing the right thing by "not choosing to drive when drinking". I dismiss any fault im accused of. I dont care what anyone says, Im NOT PAYING!

Well I am afraid this is the risk of you letting someone else drive your car, and if you don't pay you run the risk of it going to court and then you being fined even more for it.
You can't argue the case unless your friend has the right insurance to drive your car, and tbh if they were your friend they would give you the money for the fine.
You could pay the fine and count yourself extremely lucky, or you could tell the police that you allowed your car to be driven without insurance and pay a £5k fine and get 8 points, up to you :smile:
Reply 23
Didnt know there were laws involving responsibility of our vehicles when we are not using them. Legally I am not required to track who drives my car and when, or am I? How am I supposed to obey laws im not aware of?
Reply 24
I was doing the right thing by "not choosing to drive when drinking". I dismiss any fault im accused of. I dont care what anyone says, Im NOT PAYING!
See you in court :smile:

Failing to identify driver of a vehicle when required = up to £1000 fine and 6 points. No "speed awareness course" for this offence. No explanation letters or excuses are going to get you off the hook here. Either name the driver or you're guilty. That's the law.
Reply 25
Didnt know there were laws involving responsibility of our vehicles when we are not using them. Legally I am not required to track who drives my car and when, or am I? How am I supposed to obey laws im not aware of?

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it, much like saying "I didn't know it was against the law to drive after 3 pints when I felt fine" is not an excuse for drink driving. As the registered keeper of the car it is your responsibility to know who is driving your car and when, except in the case of TWOC/Theft, in which case you could talk your way out of the fine if you'd reported it to the police at the time. Which you didn't, because it didn't happen.

You need to exhaust all possible avenues to identify the driver at the time, and get him to admit that he was driving your car when the Police contact him. If you can't or won't, then you'll be liable for all of the offences committed.

Don't expect anyone to believe you trusted some completely random stranger with the keys to your car. If you did, you need your license revoked based on your mental condition. You either know who it was, or you know someone who knows who it was, or it was you and you've concocted a story to get you out of it.
Unlucky mate.

As far as I'm concerned, our speed limits are unjust anyway and so you just have to be aware of your surroundings if you want to put your foot down. For example, I regularly do 40-50 on 30 roads and 100+ on motorways and haven't got a single fine... ever. There's no point in learning to drive if you don't intend to have some fun.

On the other hand, if you were drunk then you just have to pay up because none of the above applies.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd also strongly recommend that you don't run a defence of "I was drunk that night so I couldn't have possibly been driving..." on the basis that you can't name the driver. While it couldn't be proved that it was definitely you driving at the time, the thoughts of "He's just admitted he was drunk, his car was used to break the speed limit and the driver is 'unknown to the registered keeper'..." will certainly be coursing through the mind of the magistrate if you do decide to contest this.

Pay the ****ing fine and take it on the chin.
Original post by Most Competitive
There's no point in learning to drive if you don't intend to have some fun.

Except, like, literally every other reason to learn to drive.
Reply 29
Unlucky mate.

As far as I'm concerned, our speed limits are unjust anyway and so you just have to be aware of your surroundings if you want to put your foot down. For example, I regularly do 40-50 on 30 roads and 100+ on motorways and haven't got a single fine... ever. There's no point in learning to drive if you don't intend to have some fun.

On the other hand, if you were drunk then you just have to pay up because none of the above applies.

Well aren't you a bad ass. Hopefully you'll get caught one day and handed a massive fine.
Unlucky mate.

Until you knock someone down or crash into someone from going to fast
The advice to simply take the fine and points is poor advice - if you genuinely weren't driving and declare that you were that too is a criminal offence. You probably need to get some professional legal advice, or at the very least try PePiPoo.
Original post by CurlyBen
The advice to simply take the fine and points is poor advice - if you genuinely weren't driving and declare that you were that too is a criminal offence. You probably need to get some professional legal advice, or at the very least try PePiPoo.

He's screwed either way really. Admitting that he allowed someone else to drive the car without insurance isn't going to go down very well. Legal advice is probably a good idea, but he's looking at a fine and points whatever he does. He just needs to work out how badly he wants his butt reamed out.
Original post by Nuffles
He's screwed either way really. Admitting that he allowed someone else to drive the car without insurance isn't going to go down very well. Legal advice is probably a good idea, but he's looking at a fine and points whatever he does. He just needs to work out how badly he wants his butt reamed out.

He may have a defence in that if he was drunk he wasn't in a suitable state of mind to permit this 'friend' to drive his car - but that's really something for a lawyer to advise on. I just thought it ought to be pointed out that to 'just take the points' would actually be a criminal act which has seen people given jail time!
Reply 34
Original post by CurlyBen
He may have a defence in that if he was drunk he wasn't in a suitable state of mind to permit this 'friend' to drive his car - but that's really something for a lawyer to advise on. I just thought it ought to be pointed out that to 'just take the points' would actually be a criminal act which has seen people given jail time!

Rock and a hard place springs to mind if this article is accurate, which I suspect is the case.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2211934/How-face-5-000-fine-lending-car.html
You basically told the police your friend was driving uninsured in your car with your permission as well as telling them he was speeding.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's a simple case of find out (ask around) or face the fine and points. Get over to the Pepipoo forums though and ask there for better legal advice.
Reply 37
Original post by Helenia
Was he even insured to drive your car?@

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by UKTomm
Probably not if he didn't even know the guy.

Original post by Rock Fan
You are in a lose lose situation here, you either pay the fine or figure out who was driving the car, however if the person who drove the car wasn't even insured then you will be in even more trouble. You can't blame the police here, it is entirely your own fault.

Original post by shadowdweller
You're hardly being penalised for the actions of someone else though - you chose to let them drive your car despite a) Them not being insured and b) You apparently not knowing them.

Original post by whydoidothis?
You basically told the police your friend was driving uninsured in your car with your permission as well as telling them he was speeding.

Original post by Nuffles

Original post by Rock Fan
Well I am afraid this is the risk of you letting someone else drive your car, and if you don't pay you run the risk of it going to court and then you being fined even more for it.

Original post by caitlin_emmi
You can't argue the case unless your friend has the right insurance to drive your car, and tbh if they were your friend they would give you the money for the fine.

Most policies cover driving other peoples cars with permission. So as long as the guy was a driver, it's likely cool.

Even if the other guy didn't have his own cover, it'd be him that got an AN10.
Original post by samba
Most policies cover driving other peoples cars with permission. So as long as the guy was a driver, it's likely cool.

Even if the other guy didn't have his own cover, it'd be him that got an AN10.

Actually, most policies don't include that unless you're over 25. I know mine doesn't. If the other guy doesn't have cover, OP is stuck between allowing his car to be driven by someone who didn't have insurance (just as bas as the person doing the driving), or claiming that this took his car without consent, which would be hard to prove seeing as he was a willing passenger. Being drunk isn't going to help his case either.

You could have got a taxi, but instead you chose to let a random guy drive your car. Grow up and accept responsibility for your actions. I don't think you're gonna get the sympathy you want here. It's your choice what you do, but you did come here and ask what to do so you can either listen or not.

Quick Reply

Latest