The Student Room Group

Why would a 'friend' threaten to tell people that i am becoming anorexic when im not?

They are threatening to tell people I am turning anorexic because I hardly eat (solid) foods anymore. This doesnt mean I am anorexic though does it!

On the nhs website for anorexic the second bulletpoint is "obsessively counting calories in food". I am not countin calories I am actually getting enough calories to live I am getting my calories mainly through fruit juices. For breakfast I usually have 2 litres of orange juice which can go upto as much as 1000 calories. So I do not have anorexia, they are being nasty.
Reply 1
I don't know what your friends are like but you should still probably eat solid foods. Just drinking juice isn't going to sustain you enough during a busy/stressful day.

How old are you?
It sounds like they're worried about you - people need proper food, especially when they're children or teenagers and their bodies are still developing. And (trying to help here) would you not admit you're a bit concerned yourself if you've gone and looked anorexia up on the NHS website?

Why not go have a chat with your GP - it'll mean your friend quietens down, and you can learn one way or another if what you're doing is healthy. :smile:
Reply 3
I remember when I had anorexia I didn't even realised I had it. My best friend noticed and told my mum and I swear I hated her so much for it. But then mum made sure I had help and I'm all better now and so grateful to my mum and friend. So your friend probably just cares just have a chat to her. And if she's worried maybe there is an issue so I'd say go see your gp because the earlier you catch it the quicker you recover. Not saying you do have anorexia but you might. Or you might not but only a Dr can make that decision. Good luck x
Well firstly, 1,000 calories isn't anywhere near enough to live. You need to be taking in at least double that. Secondly, it is not normal or healthy to survive on juice alone.

Although you don't want to hear this, often when people have an eating disorder, they're the last people to know about it. Denial is a huge part of it. So perhaps your friend is worried about you, and wants you to get the help you deserve.

Think about it, you can't lose. If they tell people and it's not true then they won't listen to them and it will be fine. If they tell them and it IS true, then you will get the help that you need, which is very very important.
Reply 5
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well firstly, 1,000 calories isn't anywhere near enough to live. You need to be taking in at least double that. Secondly, it is not normal or healthy to survive on juice alone.

Although you don't want to hear this, often when people have an eating disorder, they're the last people to know about it. Denial is a huge part of it. So perhaps your friend is worried about you, and wants you to get the help you deserve.

Think about it, you can't lose. If they tell people and it's not true then they won't listen to them and it will be fine. If they tell them and it IS true, then you will get the help that you need, which is very very important.

Thanks, you are right. Ive 'had' bulimia upto only very recently, but i guess it never goes away. However thats just breakfast. I get around 1800 calories a day from juices so I am not anorexic. I guess I am for now re conditiong my addiction maybe but it a much better way than vomiting
You can't live on fruit juice, and just because you are getting calories doesn't mean you are getting the full nutrition your body needs to actually sustain itself. You certainly won't be getting enough protein, fats, fibres or salts from fruit juice. Never go by caloric content alone, a calorie is simply a measure of how much energy is stored within a said food, it tells you nothing about the nutritional content. Calories are quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 7
Also, think about the amount of sugar - your teeth will not be thanking you for all that juice. If you really can only take liquids at this point I time, try smoothies with things like milk in them, and soups, which might have some fats and protein in too.
May not necessarily be anirexia, but what about EDNOS? I would talk to your doctor....

Quick Reply

Latest