The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2015

Scroll to see replies

how did you find summer schools such as the UNIQ summer school that you wanted to go on? I'm finding it really time consuming and difficult.
Thanks!
if there is anyone who successfully applied to the physics UNIQ summer school and could send me there personal statement then that would be greatly appriciated
Reply 122
Original post by economicsrocks
I'll PM you. :smile:

Do you mind sending the PS? Thanks
I'm applying for medicine. Having my fingers crossed I get onto the uniq summer school ; applied for the Cambridge shadowing scheme and got brutally rejected hahaha. How about yourself? Best of luck as well mate!!!
Original post by emem2011
What are you hoping to study at university?
I've found the same with my UNIQ personal statement haha :biggrin: at least it gives us a head start, as such!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for medicine. Having my fingers crossed I get onto the uniq summer school ; applied for the Cambridge shadowing scheme and got brutally rejected hahaha. How about yourself? Best of luck as well mate!!!
(sorry for posting twice, don't know if first one went through 😂 I'm new haha)
Original post by 09faltaf
(sorry for posting twice, don't know if first one went through 😂 I'm new haha)

Hahaha that's no problem, I think I posted the same post about six times on my first go😂😂)
I really want to get onto the UNIQ programme too! The only thing that's worrying me is my experience- I have lots of work experience lined up, but I haven't carried out any of it yet!

Don't worry, I got rejected from the Cambridge Shadowing Scheme too😂 it was because one of my parents went to university. I understand that it's only fair to give people who have no experience of university a chance to see what it's like, but I'd have loved to go as I don't know that much about university life either!🙈

Good luck to you too, although I'm sure you'll get accepted!
How are things going for you right now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just reiterating what's been said before but if you don't get on the UNIQ school, don't worry. I applied for lots of summer schools and didn't get on any (parental income possibly too high) but I still got an offer from Oxford this year :smile: I know lots who loved their summer schools but don't think your chances are decreased if you don't get on, and don't be put off from applying this October :smile:
So who else is applying for Physics?:colondollar:
Original post by jenuinemisspelt
Just posting again if anyone who is looking to apply for Classics, if they want to read my personal statement (although it's a little more geared to the English course) or ask about what we did, just drop me a message!
Also, speaking as someone who never had a chance to study Classics before or learn Greek/Latin to GCSE and I still got a place on UNIQ, I'd say no matter what your subject is, if your grades are good for your school to just go for it. The worst that can happen is you won't go, which is what would happen if you didn't apply anyway. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiii, could I please read your personal statement if thats okay? Going mental over here trying to write this.... Thannkyouu!!
Original post by Chlorophile
Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!

That would be sooooo helpful thankyouu! This personal statement is ridiculously hard!
Original post by experimentality
That would be sooooo helpful thankyouu! This personal statement is ridiculously hard!

Yep it is! It's harder when you're actually applying to Uni though and the stakes are higher!
Does their preferred minimum of 4 A*s really matter that much? I'm applying for experimental psychology with 3 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs, and AS targets of all As. Can't help but feel concerned. :frown:
Original post by twelfthnight
Just reiterating what's been said before but if you don't get on the UNIQ school, don't worry. I applied for lots of summer schools and didn't get on any (parental income possibly too high) but I still got an offer from Oxford this year :smile: I know lots who loved their summer schools but don't think your chances are decreased if you don't get on, and don't be put off from applying this October :smile:

Wise words. :smile:
Original post by Hannihanz
Does their preferred minimum of 4 A*s really matter that much? I'm applying for experimental psychology with 3 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs, and AS targets of all As. Can't help but feel concerned. :frown:

Well, grades are their main applications metric. Obviously though, your performance relative to your school and your economic situation is considered.
Reply 134
Original post by twelfthnight

Is parental income really a factor??
Original post by exo97

They ask for it on the UNIQ application but not on the actual UCAS one I don't think. If Candidate A lives with a single parent on £15000 a year and candidate B's parents earn say £40000 combined they'll probably go with A if they have similar grades. I don't know how important it is or if they have a threshold/maximum income though? Even if your parental income is high, applying won't do any harm :smile:
Original post by Chlorophile
Well, grades are their main applications metric. Obviously though, your performance relative to your school and your economic situation is considered.

I was within the top 13 for GCSE results in my year... so maybe I stand a chance, I dunno.
Original post by exo97

No it is not. As explained during the application we ask for it but it is only used for monitoring purposes once we have made our decisions.
Original post by uniqsummer
You will have more luck with our Oncology course. Whilst not getting into particulars for every subject we see about 900 applications for Medicine alone (for 40 places) and strongly recommend students to look carefully at the other subjects available.

How many applications do you receive for the law course or the history courses per places available , if I may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Shall I include FSMQ in qualifications for GCSE although it was a separate qualification?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending