The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Broadhallian

Out of the 25 who started the PGCE with me in 2012, I think around only 15 are still teaching last I heard, and only 13 are teaching within the United Kingdom.

It seems to be the same everywhere. I did a 4 year QTS degree (2008-2012). We started the first year with 92 students, by the 3rd year we were down to 65. Only about 62 (I believe graduated, although 3 deferred a year rather than quit). Oh which 6 graduated without QTS, which brings us down to 56. I know 2 personally who decided they didn't want to teach anymore. I know a few who didn't get jobs in the first year and now are in the vicious circle as they don't get pass the interview stage for jobs and are told it is due to lack of experience as they graduated 2 years ago now. However as they can't get a job they can't get any experience.

I have lost touch with many but I would predict only 40-52 actually teach in the UK; i.e. half of which who started the course.
Original post by gemmam
Its not the university itself. I'm doing FE and I'm with a partnership college (I do both my classes and placement there). I spoke to my tutors and I was just fobbed off; one even told me I should stay because even if I don't pass "it might help build my confidence" :facepalm: I can complete the remaining hours in September however I won't be paid for them or be able to get any student loan/benefits as I don't have children; as I'm 30 and have bills to pay this isn't financially viable for me (I wouldn't trust them to get me those hours anyway!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is really awful. I hope you manage to sort it out - it seems so wrong that this has ended up happening. I think you should kick up a big fuss. Don't lose hope as it could be possible to still complete your 100 hours in the time left - even if you taught say 9 hours a week? X
Original post by bonniex123
This is really awful. I hope you manage to sort it out - it seems so wrong that this has ended up happening. I think you should kick up a big fuss. Don't lose hope as it could be possible to still complete your 100 hours in the time left - even if you taught say 9 hours a week? X

Well I'm going to be doing at least 7.5 hours after half term for four weeks but I still don't think it'll be enough. There's a few others in my class in a similar position to me and I think there's even one or two who still haven't got any teaching hours at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having to add two weeks onto my course because I'm off due to an operation. Very annoying when you just want to get the course over with...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Well I'm going to be doing at least 7.5 hours after half term for four weeks but I still don't think it'll be enough. There's a few others in my class in a similar position to me and I think there's even one or two who still haven't got any teaching hours at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How have they let it get this late without giving you all teaching hours? How are the others feeling about it all? :/ They can't just expect you all to come back in September to complete your hours!
Original post by clara_oswald
How have they let it get this late without giving you all teaching hours? How are the others feeling about it all? :/ They can't just expect you all to come back in September to complete your hours!

Dunno why its happened; only three people in the class started their placement in October like we were suppose to. A few are worrying that they won't get the hours in like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Out of curiosity, do you think it is ever worth ignoring an essential criteria on a job application, ie, applying even if you don't meet them? We all know job apps take quite a bit of time, but I'm just wondering whether they ever seen past not meeting essential things :dontknow: . I know it sounds like a stupid question seeing as yes, they are essential, but a lot of my course friends seem to be ignoring them. I don't know if it's a waste of time.
Original post by Airfairy
Out of curiosity, do you think it is ever worth ignoring an essential criteria on a job application, ie, applying even if you don't meet them? We all know job apps take quite a bit of time, but I'm just wondering whether they ever seen past not meeting essential things :dontknow: . I know it sounds like a stupid question seeing as yes, they are essential, but a lot of my course friends seem to be ignoring them. I don't know if it's a waste of time.

I would have assumed they were essential for a reason and save my time for jobs I have more of a chance at.

I've heard anecdotal stories of people getting jobs without meeting the essential criteria but I don't actually personally know of anyone.

Arggh have to fill out my PDPs for tomorrow but can't do most of them as I haven't had any observations/formal meetings with my mentor yet :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my first rubbish lesson in my second placement.
Group of y9s who just werent interested in what i was teaching them. I tried the standard punishments, warning, sending them out, making them stand up if they were messing on their chairs but they just didnt care...the teacher was like, its ok theyre a laddish group you just need to be firm etc but i just felt like if i punished one, others did it because they knew theyd get punished and then get to walk outside infront of all their mates...im really stumped :frown:
Original post by Ratchit99
Had my first rubbish lesson in my second placement.
Group of y9s who just werent interested in what i was teaching them. I tried the standard punishments, warning, sending them out, making them stand up if they were messing on their chairs but they just didnt care...the teacher was like, its ok theyre a laddish group you just need to be firm etc but i just felt like if i punished one, others did it because they knew theyd get punished and then get to walk outside infront of all their mates...im really stumped :frown:

Can you exit them to another classroom rather than making a show of sending them outside?

Quietly take them aside and explain the situation. If they continue to misbehave - they will be exited to another classroom. Inform their form tutor and consider phoning home.

You can also try another punishment rather than sending them outside (not that I can think of one at the moment I'm afraid)
So I passed my first assignment with masters credits (so surprised and relieved...)
Had my interview today too, I feel like it went well but there were 4 of us for the same position so I'm really unsure!

I got told I'd find out between 6-7 tonight and I feel so nervous!!
Original post by Samus2
Can you exit them to another classroom rather than making a show of sending them outside?

Quietly take them aside and explain the situation. If they continue to misbehave - they will be exited to another classroom. Inform their form tutor and consider phoning home.

You can also try another punishment rather than sending them outside (not that I can think of one at the moment I'm afraid)

Possibly, im having a meeting with their normal teacher to discuss strategies for next lesson. Problem is theyre all doing gcse tasters at the moment and most of the class dont plan on doint computer science so couldnt care less about ascii and binary so just dont care about these lessons :frown: im trying my best to make it interesting but it feels somewhat like a losing battle.
See what we decide tomorrow with strategies but its just so gutting when ive been mostly getting 2's and this was a 4a....
Original post by Samus2
So I passed my first assignment with masters credits (so surprised and relieved...)
Had my interview today too, I feel like it went well but there were 4 of us for the same position so I'm really unsure!

Congratulations on the assignment and good luck!

---

I'm not really sure what to do right now. :frown: I'm meant to be teaching nearly all day tomorrow and I'm due to have an observation. However, I've been feeling ill for days and it's really got worse today. I've mentioned that I didn't feel too great this morning but since there's a lot of it about, nobody cares (nor do I really expect them to!) But it's really hard to teach right now because my head is not in it. I've got a fever, my stomach hurts and I feel sick. I'm actually looking forward to the observation and I can't really miss it because it's postponed from last week (class teacher was ill). On the other hand, my fiancé works in healthcare and thinks I should be nowhere near kids that could be infected! What would you guys do?
Original post by Samus2

Well done! I don't think we can pass and not get masters credits. What mark do you need to pass compared to the mark you need to get masters credits?

Let us know about the interview! Exciting times seeing people get jobs. First person from my subject has got a job today, which is quite early on for R.E. seeing as there aren't an abundance of jobs. It was in London though.

I feel bad because I've not applied for any jobs yet. I'm just really unsure about the whole thing. I did see a good looking one nearishby but they said it's essential to have an economics PGCE. Found that strange considering there is not many places that offer that PGCE.
Well done! I don't think we can pass and not get masters credits. What mark do you need to pass compared to the mark you need to get masters credits?

Let us know about the interview! Exciting times seeing people get jobs. First person from my subject has got a job today, which is quite early on for R.E. seeing as there aren't an abundance of jobs. It was in London though.

I feel bad because I've not applied for any jobs yet. I'm just really unsure about the whole thing. I did see a good looking one nearishby but they said it's essential to have an economics PGCE. Found that strange considering there is not many places that offer that PGCE.

It's 40 for a pass and 50 for masters credits. So feeling very relieved!

I've still not heard :frown: so I'm wondering if that means i've not got the job.

Hm, it might be worth emailing and clarifying that with them... After all, you have the PGCE :/

I haven't applied for any jobs either - there don't seem to be any primary jobs in my area yet! Seems like everyone else is applying though.

I've not applied for any jobs yet (although that's partly because I'm unsure what's going on with my course); I had a look for ones in my boyfriend's area but they all seem to be April start atm.

At my uni you could pass the QTS elements of the assignment (I.e. demonstrate the relevant teachers standards) but not pass the masters elements (I.e. demonstrating reflection, using sources etc). Rather than it being based on marks.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have absolutely no idea how to teach my lesson tomorrow. It's essentially a repeat/revision of last week to make sure we know what we're all doing before the exam but I don't know what to do to make it interesting/new. I have a high number of EAL students and I'm still not that great at strategies to support them :/

Ours is done so that they assess us on the masters level criteria and if we fail any of those they'll apply level 6 criteria instead to see if you can pass at that level. I think all of the unis have different methods of organising it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending