The Student Room Group

Squats and Scooby Snacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In One Ear
A cm? We are talking a couple of inches at least lol.

And it doesn't look much higher than normal because they all look high lol.

True though it looked pretty effortless so why not just try and sink it deeper?

Top of the knee to my actual hip joint is nowhere near a few inches high. My hip joint is well below the top of my shorts or the point at which my quad sticks out furthest. They're always at/below legal depth, apart from this which I admit is slighlty high for some reason :dontknow:

I suppose we can't all get as far below parallel as you do with 80kg :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I suppose we can't all get as far below parallel as you do with 80kg :frown:

Someone call the Red Cross because bombs have been dropped.
It did look about 4 inches high if not more though.
What a cute title, but not what I expected. Good luck in all your fitness endeavors *salutes*
Original post by illusionz
It did look about 4 inches high if not more though.

Looks higher than it was. Like I say, top of my knee to hip joint is slightly high. I suppose if you judge depth on middle of my knee to top of my shorts it's stupidly high. Depth is about a cm high from legal in my fed, you squat as high as you can get away with, obviously mis judged it slighlty :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dat jason blaha parallel depth
Not a good angle to judge depth. It makes everything look higher than it is.

It's definitely high but exacerbated by the camera angle. Do it again next week from 90° and the right height. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I suppose we can't all get as far below parallel as you do with 80kg "

[video="youtube;aZHvd0ks7Es"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es[/video]
Thursday 5th Feb 2015

OHP
40kg X 5, 5
45kg X 5
50kg X 5
55kg X 5
60kg X 5
65kg X 5
70kg X 5

DB press -
25kg X 12, 10

Lateral raise -
9kg X 12, 10, 8

Ridiculous tendinitis in both elbows/biceps/triceps, pressing probably wasn't the best idea in hindsight.
Saturday 7th Feb 2015

Rack pulls -
60kg X 5
100kg X 5
140kg X 5
180kg X 5
220kg X 5

Lat pulldown -
50kg X 10
70kg X 8, 7, 6
60kg X 5, 5
Tuesday 10th Feb 2015

Paused CGBP -
60kg X 5, 5
80kg X 5
100kg X 5
105kg X 5

Paused wide grip bench press -
80kg X 10, 9, 4

Incline DB press -
22kg X 12
27kg X 10
22kg X 12, 12, 11, 10

DB press -
18kg X 10, 8

Lateral raise drop sets -
11kg/9kg/7kg X some for lots

First time I've had delt pump in about a year. Feels good.
Thursday 12th Feb

Squat -
60kg 2X5
100kg X 1
120kg X 1
140kg X 1
160kg X 1
180kg X 1

Incline leg press -
120kg X 12
160kg 3X12
200kg 2X6

Squats felt awful. Knee still hasn't healed from months ago, seems to be getting worse. Ankles have started hurting when squatting, what little mobility I had has gone to ****. Plus shoulders and chest are so tight that I'm struggling to get under the bar, and every time I squat I seem to get elbow tendinitis.

Ankle mobility has got so bad that my 220 attempt last week gave me crippling shin splints in my left shin, it's still sore over a week later, and I still have a visible bruise. :confused:

Thinking I'm going to have to take time off squatting and hope my knee finally recovers. Debating just taking a month off bench/squat/deadlift all together, as joint pain and tendinitis are effecting life.

Maybe it is time to bro out again.
Tbh are you going to win stuff nationally? If no there doesn't seem much point wrecking your joints over it.

You're a bro at heart anyway. Get shredded.

Is there any point having negative impacts on life in general just for that next few lbs on your bench/squat? Or would you rather be a tank and everyone be mirin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by illusionz
Tbh are you going to win stuff nationally? If no there doesn't seem much point wrecking your joints over it.

You're a bro at heart anyway. Get shredded.

Is there any point having negative impacts on life in general just for that next few lbs on your bench/squat? Or would you rather be a tank and everyone be mirin.

Not any time soon :tongue:

No longer entering the meet I was going to, so much ****ing money. Works out at about £200, or £22 per rep (lols).

It's not even like I'm hitting PBs anymore, if anything I'm getting weaker :frown: as I'm just so crippled. Managed to bench like two times in the past month....

Plus training is no longer enjoyable, having to spend 20mins warming up just to squat an empty bar, then being in pain for the next 4-5 days is taking the piss.

I've been wanting to pack on some size anyways, I think I may just do high rep, low impact stuff, let my joints heal and hopefully get bigger. Anecdotally that is the best way for me to train anyways.

Knee just buckled while walking down the stairs, I think that is a pretty big sign....

Commence operation Thomas the Tank Engine.
Not any time soon :tongue:

No longer entering the meet I was going to, so much ****ing money. Works out at about £200, or £22 per rep (lols).

It's not even like I'm hitting PBs anymore, if anything I'm getting weaker :frown: as I'm just so crippled. Managed to bench like two times in the past month....

Plus training is no longer enjoyable, having to spend 20mins warming up just to squat an empty bar, then being in pain for the next 4-5 days is taking the piss.

I've been wanting to pack on some size anyways, I think I may just do high rep, low impact stuff, let my joints heal and hopefully get bigger. Anecdotally that is the best way for me to train anyways.

Knee just buckled while walking down the stairs, I think that is a pretty big sign....

Commence operation Thomas the Tank Engine.

You could probably just cut now and get a damn good physique inside a few months. Back to physique > dat powerlifter.

Squats felt awful. Knee still hasn't healed from months ago, seems to be getting worse. Ankles have started hurting when squatting, what little mobility I had has gone to ****. Plus shoulders and chest are so tight that I'm struggling to get under the bar, and every time I squat I seem to get elbow tendinitis.

Ankle mobility has got so bad that my 220 attempt last week gave me crippling shin splints in my left shin, it's still sore over a week later, and I still have a visible bruise. :confused:

Thinking I'm going to have to take time off squatting and hope my knee finally recovers. Debating just taking a month off bench/squat/deadlift all together, as joint pain and tendinitis are effecting life.

Maybe it is time to bro out again.

Knee pain is the only one I've not experienced, so don't really know what to suggest there.

Elbow pain when squatting isn't that uncommon. Definitely seems to be more common in low bar squatters. This could be related to shoulder/chest tightness. How do you grip the bar? You may be pushing up on the bar with your arms unintentionally. I know people who have fixed this by swapping to a false grip (thumb same side as the fingers), as this decreases your ability to support the weight with your hands. I had to do this when I was first starting. Its a habit that has stuck - I can't grip it properly when squatting now, feels so odd.

post #4 might help you?

Ankle mobility is probably what is causing the ankle and calf pain, although it could just be frequency causing it - I have a dodgy right ankle which occasionally flares up when I'm doing lots of heavy squatting. (smolov was the last time it flared up)
My friend has horrific ankle mobility and refuses to squat now, he had a problem similar to what you mentioned (lump/bruising on shin).

Were the meet costs mostly transport and hotel? I think my WL comp set me back a similar amount (although that included a singlet). No point in doing a comp if your joints aren't great, it won't do them any good. Stay safe, no point wrecking your joints. Besides, some higher rep hypertrophy stuff may do you good - strengthening connective tissue etc. Do stuff that doesn't hurt, get some rest and let things heal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Appeal to reason
Knee pain is the only one I've not experienced, so don't really know what to suggest there.

Elbow pain when squatting isn't that uncommon. Definitely seems to be more common in low bar squatters. This could be related to shoulder/chest tightness. How do you grip the bar? You may be pushing up on the bar with your arms unintentionally. I know people who have fixed this by swapping to a false grip (thumb same side as the fingers), as this decreases your ability to support the weight with your hands. I had to do this when I was first starting. Its a habit that has stuck - I can't grip it properly when squatting now, feels so odd.

post #4 might help you?

Ankle mobility is probably what is causing the ankle and calf pain, although it could just be frequency causing it - I have a dodgy right ankle which occasionally flares up when I'm doing lots of heavy squatting. (smolov was the last time it flared up)
My friend has horrific ankle mobility and refuses to squat now, he had a problem similar to what you mentioned (lump/bruising on shin).

Were the meet costs mostly transport and hotel? I think my WL comp set me back a similar amount (although that included a singlet). No point in doing a comp if your joints aren't great, it won't do them any good. Stay safe, no point wrecking your joints. Besides, some higher rep hypertrophy stuff may do you good - strengthening connective tissue etc. Do stuff that doesn't hurt, get some rest and let things heal.

I think the knee trouble is just overuse, not letting it fully heal when I 'hurt' it the first time. Don't think there is any real major damage like a tear etc, just inflammation that has never really gone away. I imagine a breakdown in form is ultimately responsible, probably due to poor flexibility. Shin trouble is definitely from lack of ankle flexibility.

I've got stiff ankles and very tight hamstrings, and knotted hips, all the time. I imagine that probably caused the knee trouble, or at least stops it fully healing, in conjunction with overuse.

Low bar squatting seems to cause the elbow tendinitis, think my shoulders are just too tight. I don't get any problem when doing high bar, however staying upright and doing actual high bar hurts my knee more, as opposed to low bar and sitting back, can't win really.

Grip is wide, index finger on the rings(physically can't take a narrow/regular grip, which is obviously a bad sign), regular thump over grip, elbows back and not under the bar so forearms don't support any weight. I think just having a tight chest and tight shoulders is the problem, can't even get under the bar without 10+ mins of band work and shoulder dislocates. Which is ridiculous.

Meet wise - Yeah, hotel, petrol, fed and comp fees, plus need to buy a singlet. All adds up.

I've been meaning to de-load and take time off heavier stuff so my joints can heal, for quite a while, could never resist getting back to heavy stuff though. I'm not enjoying training any more though, which I think will allow me actually take time off and let everything recover.
you can get deeper than that scooby!
Original post by AreebWithaHat
you can get deeper than that scooby!

You sound like my girlfriend :frown:
You sound like my girlfriend :frown:

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest