The Student Room Group

Science

Who has managed to get full marks on the A level biology papers without doing the practical's and thus got an A*?
Reply 1
Original post by Matt347
Who has managed to get full marks on the A level biology papers without doing the practical's and thus got an A*?

Just looked on the UMS scales for AQA, I think that for an A* you need to get an average of 90 UMS on A2 units - these are weighted 50 (coursework), 75, 100. Assuming you do no practical you can get 175/225 - which is 77.8% - not enough for an A*, so if you got full marks on the papers it would limit you to a B on the A2 course (AAU -> B seems about right).

As for getting an A, you have a total UMS of 420, and not doing coursework would limit you to 320 - 320/420 is 76.2%, so a B. I think that if you did no practical for it you would be limited to at maximum a B.

Though I am tired and I may be misreading it.
Reply 2
Oh right bless, Im so sorry I forgot to mention my question was in relation to the OCR exam board
Reply 3
Original post by Matt347
Oh right bless, Im so sorry I forgot to mention my question was in relation to the OCR exam board

Ah, ok. Oops.

Looked up the OCR Biology boundaries, and I believe that you have it split 90 150 60 - so getting 0 on the Practical would get you 240/300 - about 80% which is just about an A. Same at A2, so assuming you got full marks on all 4 exams you could just scrape an A (480/600).
Reply 4
Oh right thanks, I'm studying biology independently and I don't think I can afford to do a practical

Quick Reply

Latest