The Student Room Group

English Literature or Government & Politics AS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Laura57
If you want to get a high as possible grade, I'd say pick Politics. This is a non-biassed response, as I'm going on to study Literature at Uni next year, I love it, but politics is a lot easier to get good marks in. The workload will be far less and the subject is more about just understanding the political system, not producing hit and miss essays. Unless you love english and wouldn't mind getting a lower mark, I'd say pick politics, where it is a lot easier to get an A

btw i've done both english and politics for AS, and do them both for A2

You're right, and it's also really helpful to get more practical advice as well as which one I might enjoy more :smile: Did you find Politics less enjoyable since it was more about the systems, and less about your own interpretations/thoughts?
Reply 21
Original post by babyshawte
Choose English Literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to hear your thoughts - have you taken one of these subjects?
Reply 22
Bumping.
Reply 23
Bumping!
i am having i similar problem as you , i have decided on biology,chemistry and maths but can't decide between philosophy and ethics or english lit
I do both Government & Politics and English literature, along with history and psychology. I personally would recommend G&P since it's my favourite, but I'd only do it if you are genuinely interested in the subject and are used to the kind of terms and subjects. I find that, generally, it's easier to get higher marks and there is far less information to learn than for, say, history. English Literature is a good subject too but it does depend on the subject matter: we studied Hamlet and Macbeth coursework which I enjoyed, but the people who were not interested in Shakespeare found it more difficult. The poetry topic is very interesting but the study of the novel is more challenging. Overall, I would say that I prefer G&P but it think it comes down mostly to what you're interesting and what kind of texts/information you want to study.
Reply 26
Original post by RedStar98
I do both Government & Politics and English literature, along with history and psychology. I personally would recommend G&P since it's my favourite, but I'd only do it if you are genuinely interested in the subject and are used to the kind of terms and subjects. I find that, generally, it's easier to get higher marks and there is far less information to learn than for, say, history. English Literature is a good subject too but it does depend on the subject matter: we studied Hamlet and Macbeth coursework which I enjoyed, but the people who were not interested in Shakespeare found it more difficult. The poetry topic is very interesting but the study of the novel is more challenging. Overall, I would say that I prefer G&P but it think it comes down mostly to what you're interesting and what kind of texts/information you want to study.

It's difficult to know - my school doesn't choose the texts we'll study for about another month :\ Thank you very much. I'm curious as to what about G&P do you find most interesting?
Reply 27
Original post by Humzaawan123
i am having i similar problem as you , i have decided on biology,chemistry and maths but can't decide between philosophy and ethics or english lit

As far as I know, there is coursework for English lit but it varies between exam boards for philosophy and ethics. I believe it's very philosophy-based. I would check up on the topics and see if they interest you for AS or A2. P&E would not be considered a facilitating subject, and perhaps not as hard or as useful as English lit, by universities, but it depends on what you want to do at uni. There's a lot of writing in a very short amount of time for P&E though.

Anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :biggrin:
I did both at AS, I would definitely say Government & Politics!
Original post by l_williams
As far as I know, there is coursework for English lit but it varies between exam boards for philosophy and ethics. I believe it's very philosophy-based. I would check up on the topics and see if they interest you for AS or A2. P&E would not be considered a facilitating subject, and perhaps not as hard or as useful as English lit, by universities, but it depends on what you want to do at uni. There's a lot of writing in a very short amount of time for P&E though.

Anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :biggrin:

thanks , and the exam boards have already releases the new specifications for our exams and at AS level there is no coursework for english just 2, 1 hour and a half exams and if you want to do the full a level then you have 2 exams which are about 2 hours and a half long each and coursework which is worth 20 percent, i think this is the same across all exam boards. The ones i checked were AQA and OCR.
Reply 30
Original post by Buxtonwater
I did both at AS, I would definitely say Government & Politics!

May I ask why you prefer it? Thanks again!
Reply 31
Bumping!
Reply 32
You're right, and it's also really helpful to get more practical advice as well as which one I might enjoy more :smile: Did you find Politics less enjoyable since it was more about the systems, and less about your own interpretations/thoughts?

i actually find politics to be more enjoyable in terms of lessons than english :P With politics (at least at my school) the course isn't heavy enough to mean lessons are intense, and the majority of our lessons were just discussing our own views and discussing the latest news stories. Half the course for AQA (i think it was AQA...) is ''people and politics'', and in the exam you pick 2 sections out of the 4 you learnt to answer questions on - meaning you need only learn half the ''people and politics'' section; everyone in my class did this and got high marks.

if you feel like you're really going to miss english and wouldn't mind risking a lower mark (it's virtually impossible to get full marks in the exam) do it
If you want your 4th choice to be more relaxed and get a higher mark, then I'd say pick politics
It's difficult to know - my school doesn't choose the texts we'll study for about another month :\ Thank you very much. I'm curious as to what about G&P do you find most interesting?

I like the range of topics really, the pressure groups are pretty fascinating, as are the parties, but the studies into types and functions of democracy are interesting too, and I think it's also interesting learning about the types of electoral systems (even if my class doesn't agree with me :biggrin: )
Reply 34
Original post by RedStar98
I like the range of topics really, the pressure groups are pretty fascinating, as are the parties, but the studies into types and functions of democracy are interesting too, and I think it's also interesting learning about the types of electoral systems (even if my class doesn't agree with me :biggrin: )

Thank you! I did in the end pick G&P, but I still have the option to change it if I really dislike it ^^
Thank you! I did in the end pick G&P, but I still have the option to change it if I really dislike it ^^

No problem, glad I could help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest