The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jammy4041

Seattle made some curious decisions...really weird...Putting KJ Wright on Gronk is fine, but get him up to the line of scrimmage, and press him. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED, DON'T GIVE GRONK A FREE RELEASE...IT DOESN'T END WELL.

WHY DOES IT TAKE PEOPLE POSTING ON TSR TO REALISE THIS OMG?!?!?! THIS ISN'T EVEN A FOOTBALL FORUM

Bevell gets too cute. You have Lynch. You have one of the best run blocking lines in Football. Run three times more if you need to...the math favors the offense every single time. You could use your DTs as TEs, and another as a fullback, with an extra tackle. Trust Lynch. Trust Wilson as a great scrambler.
For real.

At the end, the Seahawks got really undisciplined. Rushing the victory formation was kind of bush league to be honest. I could see it, with Brady in the endzone, but after the 5 yard penalty, there was no need for Irvin to do what he did. Punching Gronk...wow...he has a death wish.

It was Bennett I think, and he might be able to take Gronk.. but still, dumb. It wasn't really a victory formation, the Pats 100% were going to run a play. They had a few interesting options but a sneak is the most obvious. I kind of wondered about a sweep to the outside, so that if you do give up a safety you can burn a few seconds. Voluntary safety is also an option because your win probability is very high, so you have to figure out how likely you are to fumble (WP very low), how likely you are to get stuffed and give up a safety (WP same) and how likely you are to get out of the end zone (WP ~100%) if you run a play. Obviously drawing the defense offside is the most perfect result possible. Belicheck is the best in the league at figuring out this utility in the heat of the moment so it would have been very interesting to see if they did take a knee.

But they didn't execute at key times during the game either. The Patriots, just executed better, in all facets of the game. The late hit out of bounds, was a stupid move by ET3, and well, there was some very questionable decision making on the interception returns. I liked that Jeremy Lane wanted to fight for extra yards, but just get down... It's silly. I thought the key change after the half was that Wilson was using his legs more, and it showed...he just didn't do that in the first half, and it makes you wonder why...was it the coaching staff being too conservative to start the game?! IT'S THE SUPER BOWL. NO TIME FOR BEING CONSERVATIVE...GREATNESS AWAITS. The playcalling on the INT at the end was shocking, but at the end of the day, coach wants to trust his players to execute his plan, or to for his QB to change it if he sees something better...

Yeah I didn't like the play call at the end, but I honestly don't think that you can get mad at a coach for being over aggressive, and I usually kind of hate criticising playcalling anyway. Wilson made a bad decision to throw that ball, which should have gone through the uprights. He may have felt uncomfortable doing that because there needs to be a receiver "in the area" since he's in the pocket... and that makes it a bad play call.

I don't want to take away from the Patriots at all...it would have been hard to see them basically lose as a result of a fluke hail-mary...because they absolutely dominated the Seahawks. They executed better, they moved the chains...they got more yards...they played well.

I created this meme though...

Agree with this, also no way anyone except Brady was in the running for MVP. If Seattle had won you could make an argument for Matthews, or even a defensive player like Bennett or Wagner (unlikely). Brady spread the ball around pretty well so although Edelman was his #1, no way did he do enough to get MVP. Just no way. I'm usually the first one to say it's BS that they always give it to the winning QB, and I'm also usually the first one to point out that Brady has more flaws than most people seem willing to admit, but he was 100% MVP on Sunday.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jakemac
Hi guys! Watched the superbowl yesterday, it was the first ever NFL game I've seen... Needless to say I found it pretty interesting and enjoyable to watch! Where can I watch some more? I know it's post-season but there's got to be somewhere where I can watch American Football to get me into it for the next 7 months or whatever it is before the next NFL season begins?

Thanks

Glad you liked the superbowl! It was a pretty good game.

Now that the season has finished, I usually go on youtube to watch some of the old college football games. It's not NFL, but there's some pretty good games.

I've watched 'Bama vs Texas A&M (2013), 'Bama vs Auburn (2013), 'Bama vs LSU (2014) (damn the pattern), and they are good games, but you can usually watch them in full. Last year's national championship (FSU vs Auburn) was pretty good, as was this year's Fiesta [Arizona vs Boise State], Cotton [Michigan State vs Baylor] and Outback bowls [Auburn vs Wisconsin]. College football is pretty good to watch...I dare say, I actually prefer college football to NFL football.

The condensed games are pretty good as well -- they're not highlights, they just take out the gaps between the plays, and the adverts and stuff, but I can't use GamePass in the States.

If you can, watch the scouting and veteran's combines, have a draft party and watch the draft, it's worth it. I know you'd have to stay up, but I had some nachos and watched it with my friend who's a Falcons fan, and he was so excited to see 'TRADE' come up because he thought it was them moving up for Barr, only to be disappointed when it was the Bills just choosing for Watkins, lol.
Original post by SmashConcept
WHY DOES IT TAKE PEOPLE POSTING ON TSR TO REALISE THIS OMG?!?!?! THIS ISN'T EVEN A FOOTBALL FORUM

For real.

It was Bennett I think, and he might be able to take Gronk.. but still, dumb. It wasn't really a victory formation, the Pats 100% were going to run a play. They had a few interesting options but a sneak is the most obvious. I kind of wondered about a sweep to the outside, so that if you do give up a safety you can burn a few seconds. Voluntary safety is also an option because your win probability is very high, so you have to figure out how likely you are to fumble (WP very low), how likely you are to get stuffed and give up a safety (WP same) and how likely you are to get out of the end zone (WP ~100%) if you run a play. Obviously drawing the defense offside is the most perfect result possible. Belicheck is the best in the league at figuring out this utility in the heat of the moment so it would have been very interesting to see if they did take a knee.

Yeah I didn't like the play call at the end, but I honestly don't think that you can get mad at a coach for being over aggressive, and I usually kind of hate criticising playcalling anyway. Wilson made a bad decision to throw that ball, which should have gone through the uprights. He may have felt uncomfortable doing that because there needs to be a receiver "in the area" since he's in the pocket... and that makes it a bad play call.

Agree with this, also no way anyone except Brady was in the running for MVP. If Seattle had won you could make an argument for Matthews, or even a defensive player like Bennett or Wagner (unlikely). Brady spread the ball around pretty well so although Edelman was his #1, no way did he do enough to get MVP. Just no way. I'm usually the first one to say it's BS that they always give it to the winning QB, and I'm also usually the first one to point out that Brady has more flaws than most people seem willing to admit, but he was 100% MVP on Sunday.

Yeah, I mean looking back, I don't necessarily think it's the wrong play call. My Coach pointed out it made sense, since a complete pass would have been the game, and an incomplete pass would have stopped the clock. The DB made a clutch play, and got his team the win. One of the ISU O-lineman, who I watched the Superbowl with, today pointed out that New England were in their goal line defense, and since Seattle were in their hurry up offense, they had 5 lineman, and one TE on the field...and the numbers didn't favor the Seahawks. You don't call a run with that personnel against that personnel.

If that was the case, maybe Seattle should have burned their time out and got their big personnel on, but at the end of the day, Coach puts his trust in his players to execute...which Seattle didn't. If the Patriots were able to get a substitution in, the Seahawks should have had time to do so as well to get their favored personnel package on the field, but at the same time, I can see why it was a pass now. Just not at that point.

Also, the WR gave up on the play and put his QB in trouble. The throw was on point, and at the worst would have been incomplete had the WR shown more effort.
(edited 9 years ago)
Glad you liked the superbowl! It was a pretty good game.

Now that the season has finished, I usually go on youtube to watch some of the old college football games. It's not NFL, but there's some pretty good games.

I've watched 'Bama vs Texas A&M (2013), 'Bama vs Auburn (2013), 'Bama vs LSU (2014) (damn the pattern), and they are good games, but you can usually watch them in full. Last year's national championship (FSU vs Auburn) was pretty good, as was this year's Fiesta [Arizona vs Boise State], Cotton [Michigan State vs Baylor] and Outback bowls [Auburn vs Wisconsin]. College football is pretty good to watch...I dare say, I actually prefer college football to NFL football.

The condensed games are pretty good as well -- they're not highlights, they just take out the gaps between the plays, and the adverts and stuff, but I can't use GamePass in the States.

If you can, watch the scouting and veteran's combines, have a draft party and watch the draft, it's worth it. I know you'd have to stay up, but I had some nachos and watched it with my friend who's a Falcons fan, and he was so excited to see 'TRADE' come up because he thought it was them moving up for Barr, only to be disappointed when it was the Bills just choosing for Watkins, lol.

Thanks for the advice :biggrin: I'll have a look at some college games on youtube and I'll get the gamepass too, most likely. I'll try and watch the combines and the draft, too. I assume they'll be on Sky Sports or something, if not I'll probably be able to stream them on the internet
Original post by jakemac
Thanks for the advice :biggrin: I'll have a look at some college games on youtube and I'll get the gamepass too, most likely. I'll try and watch the combines and the draft, too. I assume they'll be on Sky Sports or something, if not I'll probably be able to stream them on the internet

You're welcome. I did create a 'newbie' guide to football if you want to check it out, it could help.....One thing I will say is that knowledge is power. Football is such a multi-faceted sport, that the more you know and understand, the better and more enjoyable it becomes. It will take time to learn it...heck, there's still things I'm learning too, such as the Matthews hail-mary catch (which was a catch because the ball never hit the ground)...but understanding it more will help you. Penalties on the other hand...well, it can be pot luck.

If you can at some point, do go to a game. You have the Wembley games, although I'm not too sure how they are (yet....since I want to go to one of them this year), but going to Mile High was brilliant...just seeing NFL football in person...was brilliant.

I think they were on Sky Sports last year, but they might have also been on NFL Network, on the NFL page for the rounds 2-7. You can get a stream for NFL Network if it isn't on the main website, even without gamepass, but the gamepass gives you access to the NFL Network as well.
You're welcome. I did create a 'newbie' guide to football if you want to check it out, it could help.....One thing I will say is that knowledge is power. Football is such a multi-faceted sport, that the more you know and understand, the better and more enjoyable it becomes. It will take time to learn it...heck, there's still things I'm learning too, such as the Matthews hail-mary catch (which was a catch because the ball never hit the ground)...but understanding it more will help you. Penalties on the other hand...well, it can be pot luck.

If you can at some point, do go to a game. You have the Wembley games, although I'm not too sure how they are (yet....since I want to go to one of them this year), but going to Mile High was brilliant...just seeing NFL football in person...was brilliant.

I think they were on Sky Sports last year, but they might have also been on NFL Network, on the NFL page for the rounds 2-7. You can get a stream for NFL Network if it isn't on the main website, even without gamepass, but the gamepass gives you access to the NFL Network as well.

I just found the cheat sheet and the 101 guide thing, I'm guessing that's what you meant? The cheat sheet was pretty helpful, I had a quick look through it and it just helped me understand a few of the things I was unsure about but I am yet to tackle the text document as it looks like a lot of reading for this time of day but they both seem like great resources :congrats:

As for going to see a game, the Wembley ones are pretty much sold out from what I can see for this year and there's the whole issue of money and getting there (4 hours drive from here at least) so I'll see, possibly next year. Who did you see at Mile High?

Thanks for all the advice and such, I'll rep tomorrow because I've already maxed today's limit :sad:
Original post by jakemac
I just found the cheat sheet and the 101 guide thing, I'm guessing that's what you meant? The cheat sheet was pretty helpful, I had a quick look through it and it just helped me understand a few of the things I was unsure about but I am yet to tackle the text document as it looks like a lot of reading for this time of day but they both seem like great resources :congrats:

As for going to see a game, the Wembley ones are pretty much sold out from what I can see for this year and there's the whole issue of money and getting there (4 hours drive from here at least) so I'll see, possibly next year. Who did you see at Mile High?

Thanks for all the advice and such, I'll rep tomorrow because I've already maxed today's limit :sad:

There's £55 cheap seats left and public transport is how I'm getting there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I mean looking back, I don't necessarily think it's the wrong play call. My Coach pointed out it made sense, since a complete pass would have been the game, and an incomplete pass would have stopped the clock. The DB made a clutch play, and got his team the win. One of the ISU O-lineman, who I watched the Superbowl with, today pointed out that New England were in their goal line defense, and since Seattle were in their hurry up offense, they had 5 lineman, and one TE on the field...and the numbers didn't favor the Seahawks. You don't call a run with that personnel against that personnel.

I disagree with this, I don't like the play call at all but ultimately it is only one play. If you look at the front you have 8 LOS defenders, 7 blockers plus Wilson, and a safety/LB lined up at linebacker depth. If you can put a hat on a hat and Wilson accounts for one defender then you have Lynch trying to make one yard after contact vs a free defender. Not ideal but still not a bad idea. I don't mind throwing it at all, but it should be a roll out pass or a bootleg where Wilson gets something like a high low read from the corner of the end zone to the keeper, and if he doesn't like either option he is outside the pocket and puts it into row Z.

Also, the WR gave up on the play and put his QB in trouble. The throw was on point, and at the worst would have been incomplete had the WR shown more effort.

I think it looked like he gave up on the play more than he actually did because the DB made such an outstanding play to bump the receiver off the ball with perfect timing to avoid PI while making the play on the ball. The play call was bad which kind of takes the attention away from that play but it really was one of the better picks of the entire year.
What's the big deal with the Seahawks rushing the Pats victory formation? The game ain't over, so you try to win it by trying to get the ball back. It annoys me when teams just accept defeat in week three, so I would be pissed off if someone just rolled over and accepted it in the SB.

QB kneels are a joke anyway.
There's no big deal because it wasn't even a victory formation :dontknow:

Unless you're talking about the victory formation they ran after the offside, I don't know because I didn't bother to watch that.

Dude, I love the draft! Literally one of my favourite bits of the entire footballing year.

I'm a Rams fan and it was awesome watching the results of the RGIII trade unfold. I was super excited about picking Donald as well, which turned out decent :lol:
[video="youtube;RgloErF-H2c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgloErF-H2c[/video]

Quite simply one of the most amazing things I'll ever see. Butler gives up that absolute fluke of a catch only to intercept that and basically seal the win.

One of those things you dream about as a kid playing in the garden...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jakemac

Yeah, the picture document is a bit nicer. The text document has formations and stuff...and goes through a few more pictures, and is a bit more difficult, to be honest. The best guide I have ever seen about American football, and it did it in a couple of A5-sized pages was in a book...Every Boy's Handbook by Rodger Coote, I believe....http://www.amazon.com/Every-Boys-Handbook-Roger-Coote/dp/0749740701/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423034621&sr=1-4 ... but yes, it really did a good job of explaining it all, and the uniforms and stuff, and how the game is played. (Does anyone have a scan or something, on the off chance?)

I saw the Broncos against the Dolphins. So...much...win!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: Even getting to the game was quite an experience (as well as getting back). It was over thanksgiving break, so it wasn't like I had classes or anything, but it's still a good 10 hours or so from Pocatello to Denver. Such an epic road trip as well, through Utah and Wyoming, it was brilliant, and another epic Amtrak journey back. The road trips really make it more special. Even getting from where we were in Parker, CO to the stadium itself was pretty cool (about 40 minutes from the stadium). There was a load of Miami dolphins fans on the RTD, and I was repping my Champ Bailey jersey. (it was the first game at Mile High since he retired, so he was there, and got he rightfully got the loudest cheer of the night...). The Dolphins looked really sharp, and the Miami fans (apparently I was in the 'away' section...but it's quite mixed though...seriously...there was a lot of mixed families...) were really out in force. It was also call to see Elway and Marino talk to eachother before the game, and Peyton being Peyton with his omaha stuff and adjusting the play at the line of scrimmage. Sanders, Demaryius Thomas had good games, but ultimately it was CJ Andersons's game. He did everything, and recovered an onside kick as well...

This was my view, btw:

It was awesome...there's that off my checklist. Incidentally, one of my other friends, who is on an exchange year to Plymouth, NH, went down to Foxboro' the same week to see the Patriots play, and well...if he wasn't a Pats fan before, he was after...My Falcons-supporting friend went to Wembley last year, and sugegsted that there was some tickets available in April...at least last year, so I was going to go through Ticketmaster to do it...even if it costs a bit more. I got my Broncos tickets through ticketmaster and was chuffed since they were like $115..and thinking in comparison to the Wembley games...I thought it was a good deal...Alas...I have since found out, that as a half price, "Salute to service" game, that the ticket would have be like $35. But still, I'm not going to complain, since I got to see a Broncos game, and I can't wait for my next NFL game. If the Broncos play at wembley...I will have to get a ticket...it's a given. If I do manage to snag a ticket, I will be at the mercy of First Great Western, or I could imagine another epic journey...I could be going with a group of friends from Plymouth to London and back...but I would still have to get back to Plymouth in time for classes on Monday, depending on the schedule.

Mile High is such an awesome stadium. The concrete moves and makes an awesome sound when you stomp your feet (which you have to do to stay warm). I got a good view of the mountains on the other side...and I got to my seat at least an hour before kickoff and I stayed there, seeing the slate of games, beforehand, and then still there, up in the nosebleed seats (which still had a decent view), through snow and below-freezing temperatures. (The temperature gauge showed 32F all the way through to the fourth quarter, but then, that's at ground level...it's much colder in the stands).

As long as the view is like that or better, I can't complain...I know it seems petty, but my issue with Wembley is whether the televisions are big enough. I've been there for England vs Bulgaria a few years back, just above the half way line, in the nosebleed seats, so pretty good seats, but only two televisions (vs three at mile high) and they seem much smaller. I don't know, but it will be interesting to find out, although, I'm definitely investing in some cheap binoculars.

You're welcome...if you do have any questions, do feel free to ask. Any of us will be able to help. :smile:
There's no big deal because it wasn't even a victory formation :dontknow:

Unless you're talking about the victory formation they ran after the offside, I don't know because I didn't bother to watch that.

They rushed it after the offside, and then again after the Seahawks player was ejected. In the end zone, that's fair game, because you're right, it wasn't a victory formation...but after that, the patriots were never going to run another play.

I disagree with this, I don't like the play call at all but ultimately it is only one play. If you look at the front you have 8 LOS defenders, 7 blockers plus Wilson, and a safety/LB lined up at linebacker depth. If you can put a hat on a hat and Wilson accounts for one defender then you have Lynch trying to make one yard after contact vs a free defender. Not ideal but still not a bad idea. I don't mind throwing it at all, but it should be a roll out pass or a bootleg where Wilson gets something like a high low read from the corner of the end zone to the keeper, and if he doesn't like either option he is outside the pocket and puts it into row Z.

I think it looked like he gave up on the play more than he actually did because the DB made such an outstanding play to bump the receiver off the ball with perfect timing to avoid PI while making the play on the ball. The play call was bad which kind of takes the attention away from that play but it really was one of the better picks of the entire year.

The substitutions annoyed me more than the play call. Yes, hindsight is easy, but I would have put in the big personnel...even if it's a not a run, they are in when you need it to be a run, rather than wasting time or burning a time out for a more favorable personnel package. Of course, you will always have 7 LOS blockers, plus with a running, it evens things up, even if it's not favorable. But they were in shotgun. They basically telegraphed a pass play to the patriots. The seahawks were in 11 personnel, and the TE was double covered with Chandler Jones and the OLB. There were no safeties, just three corners, and extra linebackers. The patriots also had Ninkovic hustling to get into position, so that he would be getting to the tackle. But they had their goal line package on...4 DTs and 2 DEs. Wilfork was blasting through double teams to stop the run all night against that formation, even when they had just him and another DT on the field.

If it was going to be a pass, it shouldn't have been in shotgun...and you have to trust wilson to read or keep it, because he is really athletic. The numbers still favor the Patriots, though. The gaps favor the patriots defense all day, and that's also before that central linebacker crashes the line in a dive play. Wilson or Lynch, depending on who runs, would still have to be accountable for the OLB, or the end. yeah, it's one yard, and Lynch will bring up so many yards after contact, but they made it more difficult for themselves with the substitution. There's no need to get too cute. That said, it was probably the best play for that personnel, but I agree with the need for a bit of read option, with the rollout/qb keep. The wide receiver needs to show a bit more hustle. Wilson made a good throw, and the DB showed more hustle to get to the ball. I think Wilson would have thrown the ball away if it wasn't...or at least...I hope he would have... The DBs never get the credit that they deserve...but yes, I would agree it is an amazing play. That should have been a TD every day and twice on sundays, but that's a great play. Tom Brady wants to give him his MVP car, and it's easy to see why.

Original post by Scott129
Dude, I love the draft! Literally one of my favourite bits of the entire footballing year.

I'm a Rams fan and it was awesome watching the results of the RGIII trade unfold. I was super excited about picking Donald as well, which turned out decent :lol:

The Draft is a small morsel of hope in the bleak midwinter that is the offseason. Bring it on!! I want to see the scouting combine, and then the veteran's combine new for this year...It'll be great.
Also..it's recruiting deadline day in the College Football world. Bama have the best recruiting class (quel suprise), and FSU #2, but it will interesting to see how the dust settles, and to see who will be that one pick who decides to decommit and go elsewhere. However, tOSU fans have been saying, that this was the season that they were expecting to win the CFB playoff, so it will be interesting to see that one..
Agree that probably 95 times out of 100 that play seattle ran probably worked. Butler hustled big time and got there just a fraction of a second early. However another less recognized thing is that Browner played a huge part in the development of that play.
Reply 457
The Draft is a small morsel of hope in the bleak midwinter that is the offseason. Bring it on!! I want to see the scouting combine, and then the veteran's combine new for this year...It'll be great.

Get yourself GamePass and re-watch/ watch the season highlights? That way you feel like you have football. I watch whatever Sky has on so I've seen about 28 blowouts this season. I'll go back if I've got time and watch some of the closer games. I may not have time though. This post is my 5 minute pomodoro technique break :frown:

Wow that sounds amazing :biggrin: and I'll almost definitely need to ask questions so I'll watch this thread :yep:
Just watching South Carolina vs Texas A&M btw... It was the first result on youtube so
I only watched the game yesterday, so I've had time to digest it a little. Thinking about it I actually 100% agree with the decision to throw, and 100% stand by my initial thought that it should have been a roll out pass. I no longer think a run was a good idea on 2nd down, so I don't hate the personnel they had in.

Basically they had time for two runs, or three plays provided at least one of the first two is a pass. Evidently to maximise their value they are going to pass at least once on either second or third down. Because Belichick knows this, if they run on second down, they lose any deception they may have had on third down, because unless there is a huge bubble BB knows to expect a pass. By throwing an incomplete pass on second down they are able to substitute, then open their entire playbook on third and have the best opportunity to score. If they don't they call a time out and getting another play. Unfortunately for this to work the QB needs to be able to throw the ball away if the TD isn't there, which obviously I have gone over already.

Quick Reply

Latest