The Student Room Group

Friendzone a myth or fact ?

Scroll to see replies

The "friendzone" is just a sort of get out clause of any potential relationship that either partner does not want to be a part of. That is not to say that it's a bad thing, it has just become another cliché like "it's not you it's me" or "I have just gotten out of a serious relationship", I know plenty of guys that have been "friendzoned" and plenty of girls who've had the same. I think that it should be treated just plainly as an excuse rather than a state of perilous existence.
It is definitely a real phenomena in some situations. I was in a relationship with my ex for nearly two years before she decided she didn't love me any more and only wanted to have me as a friend, naturally I was distraught as I really REALLY didn't feel the same way. If that is not the friendzone then I don't know what is.
I don't want a serious relationship at the moment and I've friend zoned a few girls, like the reasons some girls do it is because I rather have them about as friends then go out with them not work and lose them forever.
attractive guys never get friendzoned. make of that what you will
Original post by Expired Potato
the friendzone doesn't exist, got out of it twice.

Surely if you've gotten "out of it" the mere action of getting out suggests that you were in the friendzone to begin with which supports the theory that it exists? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Yes you will, especially if you hang out with internationals in a London uni - plenty of 'abnormal' people to hang out with :mmm:

Probably not, it's rare for guys to friendzone (attractive) girls completely, we're too driven :redface:

Makes sense then I guess, although you seem sensible enough to me and I expect it would be more of a romantic adventure to try some other university towns..

Haha, a unicorn indeed? Not sure how apt that is, given the apparent lack of 'horn' :laugh:

In our culture nerdy guys won't mind, but smart guys who are successful with women will tend to go elsewhere if they can't 'get their oats', it's only natural :u:

What are nerds in your opinion, if not smart successful people? (also, now that I'm thinking, maybe a more mature guys are ok with waiting because they thinking about settling? that's one scary perspective)

I notice you enjoy the idea of being able to 'read' people (or are you just subtly complimenting everyone to show just how subtle you are), so I won't spoil that too much for you, but travelling in a completely foreign country without any kind of guidance is the kind of thing I can't afford because of the great luck of being born in this great country. I'll earn more by working 20hrs a week part time than both my parents together, and they both have HE studies (nice salaries here, nonexistent in UK) so. mmyeap. I'll do the romantic thing later, when I'll be 50 and have paid all my debts.

And may I just add :3 'driven' isn't enough to describe guys, and what guys would do in hope of sex (spoiler-they'd wait. a lot.)
Original post by emanueladiana
What are nerds in your opinion, if not smart successful people?

Nerds are people with poor social skills, poor hygiene, poor life skills that they have such limited life opportunities that they chose to retreat into an unhealthy fantasy world of comics and computer games.

Its sad really, someone needs to intervene in these people's lives and convince them they're throwing their lives away.

Nerds are the exact opposite of smart, successful people.
Original post by cole-slaw
Nerds are people with poor social skills, poor hygiene, poor life skills that they have such limited life opportunities that they chose to retreat into an unhealthy fantasy world of comics and computer games.

Its sad really, someone needs to intervene in these people's lives and convince them they're throwing their lives away.

Nerds are the exact opposite of smart, successful people.

Oh. Well. Here anybody with brains is automatically called a nerd. My bad :3
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not true. I'm no work of art but I'm reasonably attractive and was friendzoned left-right-and-centre as a schoolboy!

A nerd is someone who is abnormally into their particular disciplines/interests, and places an abnormally high degree of emphasis on related attainment. They tend to be a little slanted in terms of what gratifies them :cyber: vs. the philistine who is slanted in the opposite direction :hump2:

Yup. An older, more experienced guy will only tend to wait for a girl to put out if he sees it as a worthwhile 'long term investment'

Sure, who doesn’t? :smile:

Perhaps there’s a little of that thrown in too, for good measure, I can’t stand flattery but it costs nothing to acknowledge, and encourage others to reflect upon and explore themselves, their apparent positive qualities from time to time :top2:

Haha, you hard nosed diva you! :scrooge: I feel sure you will soften once you’re over here, even East Europeans have to soften sooner or later! :laugh:

I blame you lot, for being so damn desirable, no wonder these guys get so ‘thirsty’! :drool:

You appear to have conflated nerd with geek,* I’m pretty sure the OP wouldn’t mix it with any geeks

Here as in TSR, or as in Romania? :beard:

Here, as in Romania.

Heh, now that I think about it, I do have a lot of classmates that do know a lot of extra curriculum stuff (compsci, so we already are halfway to the nerds group). They make me feel so guilty.

Why soften? Don't worry, I'm in minority here as well. There are two people in my year that are engaged, and we're all 19-20. But they'll be divorcing before their 30s :wink:

And you've no idea how I look, what makes you think I'm so ehem desirable?
Original post by Clip
As constant as Planck.

As regular as the vibrations of quartz.

As predictible as the pulsing of a Neutron star.

Mr Smurf is truly a phenomenon of physical science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, loving the Physics.
Reply 50
Friendzone is an asinine term for what well adjusted people refer to as unrequited feelings/affection. You're not in a relationship with that person because they don't find you physically/emotionally attractive, not because you're friends.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not true. I'm no work of art but I'm reasonably attractive and was friendzoned left-right-and-centre as a schoolboy!

So the evidence says one thing, but you choose to believe another as its easier on the ego. Whatever gets you through the day.
Reply 52
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, loving the Physics.

I'm terrible at Physics. I read Law.
Original post by Foo.mp3

I didn't suddenly transform into an Adonis, maturity/manliness are factors too (the evidence suggests this) :dontknow:

which is a subset of attractiveness, no?
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

Usually when you get friendzoned by a girl it means your not boyfriend material and generally she dosent see you as someone who she wants a relationship with.

However some people post online crap that says you can get out of the friendzone and possibly be in a relationship with her. Realistically if she doesnt like you, you are not going to be in a relationship with her are you ?

Myth or fact ?

your actually wrong,it might mean that she's not ready for a relationship or maybe one of her friend likes you...and I agree with you,women no's are no's,you can't change that
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ah ok, well I'll have to take your word on that one! (yet to tour Eastern Europe)

Ah, so you're a bit of a nerd/geek yourself eh? :gah: Just as long as you're a cute geekette, it's all good :u:

Guilty why?

To become a more rounded, personable, feminine, approachable, wonderful, individual? :hippie:

I'm not sure I follow?

You hope.. wicked child! We should be pleased for them and wish them every happiness! (although I suppose one has to acknowledge the statistical probability..) :erm:

We've established that I can read people.. :wink:

I didn't suddenly transform into an Adonis, maturity/manliness are factors too (the evidence suggests this) :dontknow:

Ah, but you see, we only established that you like the idea of being able to read people, hehe.

Guilty because I could/should know all that stuff. I'm having my exam session right now, I already disappointed a teacher=>guilt (although who made her expect high grades from me). Guilt for being lazy, to summarize. :smile:))

I must support you on the last paragraph, before high school I've been told I'm ugly/etc by pretty much every peer (that was not a friend), so things like this can change. But on the other hand, those peers told me lots of stupid stuff, and the only thing that changed ever since was the peers (smarter in high school, I guess). So yea, either the type of girls around you has changed, either something's fishy. (I got plenty of examples of ugly/gay-looking guys starting working out in high school -and now with a lot of muscles- and they still never had a gf)

The part you couldn't follow: I am not romantic/feminine, and with no desire whatsoever to get married => minority between my dear brainwashed mates.

I am sarcastic and sometimes funny, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

So, may I ask again: why soften? Am I supposed to act like world's a wonderful place full of butterflies and my 'soul mate' is just around the corner? Should I say to myself that soul mates exist, so I'd feel better? (religion stuff on the same principle). I'd rather look at life as it is, so I'll have a chance at actually achieving my goals (which by default won't be realistic for most people because of what I just mentioned).
Original post by Foo.mp3
For sure, 'cultured' attraction; however, (reasonably) objectively 'attractive' (e.g. aesthetics) guys do occasionally get friendzoned (contrary to what you seemed to be suggesting), for example because they have not cultivated themselves sufficiently in other areas or because they simply aren't a girl's 'type'

Did I suggest that? Or are you projecting?
Original post by Foo.mp3
For sure, 'cultured' attraction; however, (reasonably) objectively 'attractive' (e.g. aesthetics) guys do occasionally get friendzoned (contrary to what you seemed to be suggesting), for example because they have not cultivated themselves sufficiently in other areas or because they simply aren't a girl's 'type'

I’m sure if we are honest we can agree that we established something of a demonstrated capacity :sly:

Can you give me any examples of this ‘extra curricular’ stuff that you should know perhaps something has got lost in translation. In the UK this usually means interests outside of conventional academia, which are purely optional and no source of guilt (unless they are completely lacking, in which case I suppose one may feel guilty for being a little ‘one dimensional’?). Oh, another use of ‘extra curricular’ is a little naughty, btw :mmm:

You take night classes?:mute:

Ah right, well, there are those who are of the belief that a little such guilt is good medicine! I’m not sure how I feel about the philosophy of education when it comes to that psychological component I know some students benefit from such motivation but it seems rather negative to me, and can’t help e.g. with exam nerves etc

Spoiler

My behaviour changed, and my looks matured a little (I still look very young for my age, but at least I look like an adult now) :laugh:

Aha, hence compsci! :teeth:

Spoiler

That’s cool. I would just urge a little caution, too much sarcasm can totally kill a date I remember one date with a girl who was sarcastic the whole night. It was funny at first, and we had many good laughs, but by the end of the date I didn’t have a clue whether she liked me or the whole date was just one big joke to her. When she asked me for a 2nd date I was rather confused, and agreed but never arranged it with her, unfortunately she kind of killed any chemistry with all that sarcastic banter :dontknow:

Yes :daydreaming:

Yes :daydreaming:

Seriously, if that works for you, and delivers a balanced, healthy, happy life, then you go for it :smile:

Well firstly and most important, mon amie, I do not act sarcastic with guys because...well, because of what you just said. I am sweet&funny. Oh, if they only knew.

Secondly, you can read me so well because I let you read me, do not let yourself fooled too much!

Next in line to discuss is the meaning of extracurricular. By such word (I regret not having read Shakespeare in English) I mean programming languages that we were not taught in school, such as Java, Oracle, CSS etc. I might move my lazy ass to learn Java this year, it's in high demand on the market.

Now right now, but I'm sure you understood what I meant.

I like Bella, she's alright.

Also, I shall have you know that I like reading, writing short stories&poetry, and drawing (bonus: I'm a leftie), so by no means I have 'fixed attitudes'. I'm a self-proclaimed artist with inclinations towards numbers.

Finally, an observation: a balanced life rarely means a happy one (If we agree that stupid people rarely have balanced lives because they tend to think short term, do not take into consideration consequences as they should, and thus, they are prone to make bad decisions in life. And smart people are not usually happy because... well, because they are smart)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Usually when people talk about "attractive guys", they are referring to 'conventionally attractive' e.g. those broadly conceived of as aesthetically pleasing. If this was not your intention but you instead meant, for example, "guys who the girl in question finds attractive",* then this would seem a lot less controversial, if a little tautological; I would still protest, however, that girls can friendzone a guy they find attractive e.g. on the basis of (presumed) character defects/fundamental mismatch, although naturally I would concede that this is rarely absolute

You and I might find it tautological, but I assure you, the majority of TSR are less well informed.

It also answers the OP's question in a simple yet entirely accurate and comprehensive manner.

How do you avoid being friendzoned? answer, be attractive

Why am I in the friendzoned? answer, because you are unattractive

How do I get out of the friendzone? answer, become more attractive
Original post by Foo.mp3
Usually when people talk about "attractive guys", they are referring to 'conventionally attractive' e.g. those broadly conceived of as aesthetically pleasing. If this was not your intention but you instead meant, for example, "guys who the girl in question finds attractive",* then this would seem a lot less controversial, if a little tautological; I would still protest, however, that girls can friendzone a guy they find attractive e.g. on the basis of (presumed) character defects/fundamental mismatch, although naturally I would concede that this is rarely absolute

We are not friends :colonhash:

Spoiler

Jolly good, poor young lads can’t take too many japes, delicate egos ‘n’ all.. :cry2:

If only they knew?.. :colone:

For sure, it takes two to tango, as we say :fan:

Ah right, yes, might be as well to add another string to your bow. They do keep insisting that they run Java on over 3 billion devices so, you know.. if you ever need to communicate with I dunno, a photocopier or something, I guess it might come in handy :borat:

Well thank goodness for that, tests at this time of night wouldn’t be much fun!- that said, I perform best at night, personally :sexface: (that sounded more innocent in my head) :innocent:

Bella?

How positively charming :cute:

Ah well, can’t all be perfect :wink: Would you friendzone a guy on the basis of his right-wing political beliefs? (he says, attempting to keep this on topic)

Hold up :hand: Just because you lefties like to 'move the goal posts' (and don’t know where they are half the time) does not mean you don’t have ‘fixed attitudes’! :laugh:

Please, tell me more.. :daydreaming:

Hmm, I was with you regarding short-sighted* people, and I suppose I agree that a more sophisticated mind is rarely satisfied, but I believe that balance/cohesion and happiness are generally positive correlates :beard:

Bella. Like, in Beauty and the Beast? I finally saw the *ehem* movie last year and I thought I was less stupid than the others (how the f could you choke to death on an apple).

The rest of what you wrote is very confusing, not sure if sarcastic or not.

Friendzoning a guy for the wrong political beliefs? I can't be friends with somebody I don't agree with at such basic stuff (and, to be perfectly clear, any political view I deem as wrong at national level) [having a Queen does sound medieval, in that wonderful, GoT, way. ^^] {my city is one of the oldest ones in the country and we still partially have the city's wall and protecting system since that age}
Here. Have some snow.
http://brasovdaytrips.com/web_images/brasovul_in_zapada2.jpg

I kind of lost it, didn't I
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending