The Student Room Group

Anatomy at Birmingham

I have an offer from Birmingham medical school for next year. I am obviously ecstatic because the course seems really clearly structured, they have fortnightly GP placements and well above average success in postgraduate exams (MRCP etc). I am however concerned about the apparent lack of anatomy teaching, specifically prosection and dissection. When I went for interview the student who showed me around said she only gets to go into the 'prosectorium' once a term and occasionally for exams. She also said that some anatomy demonstrators don't even let you touch the bodies! There is also no dissection at all, not even as part of an intercalated degree. How can you learn where things are inside a human body when you barely actually see the anatomy in the flesh? I dread the thought of having to try to learn anatomy in an abstract, textbook based way. I wondered what your opinions are on the necessity of dissection/prosection? I also wondered whether anyone can support or refute what the student told me about Anatomy teaching at Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm at a uni that does dissection and I find it really hit and miss how helpful it is. Like one of our consultants say 'patient's haven't read the textbook' i.e. you can't always learn the 'normal' because patients vary so much. It is also hard to know if you're dissecting correctly and you can easily destroy or damage important structures.

Last term we did dissection for the GI system and very few of us found it helpful. This term we have the muscular skeletal system and its more worthwhile.

Basically dissection does have its benefits but I certainly don't think its a necessity. I actually learn anatomy best from an online programme called net anatomy.
Original post by Tronick
I have an offer from Birmingham medical school for next year. I am obviously ecstatic because the course seems really clearly structured, they have fortnightly GP placements and well above average success in postgraduate exams (MRCP etc). I am however concerned about the apparent lack of anatomy teaching, specifically prosection and dissection. When I went for interview the student who showed me around said she only gets to go into the 'prosectorium' once a term and occasionally for exams. She also said that some anatomy demonstrators don't even let you touch the bodies! There is also no dissection at all, not even as part of an intercalated degree. How can you learn where things are inside a human body when you barely actually see the anatomy in the flesh? I dread the thought of having to try to learn anatomy in an abstract, textbook based way. I wondered what your opinions are on the necessity of dissection/prosection? I also wondered whether anyone can support or refute what the student told me about Anatomy teaching at Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
I'm at a uni that does dissection and I find it really hit and miss how helpful it is. Like one of our consultants say 'patient's haven't read the textbook' i.e. you can't always learn the 'normal' because patients vary so much. It is also hard to know if you're dissecting correctly and you can easily destroy or damage important structures.

Last term we did dissection for the GI system and very few of us found it helpful. This term we have the muscular skeletal system and its more worthwhile.

Basically dissection does have its benefits but I certainly don't think its a necessity. I actually learn anatomy best from an online programme called net anatomy.

So do you think it would be possible to learn anatomy to a good level without dissection or (regular) prosection?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tronick
So do you think it would be possible to learn anatomy to a good level without dissection or (regular) prosection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find I need prosection to learn the anatomical positioning of the neurovasculature for example and what everything feels like and looks like in vivo. I find textbooks and youtube 3D models to be too 'perfect' but still useful.
I learned anatomy from a combination of lectures, textbooks, dissection and prosection. I found the the online anatomy stuff to be pretty useless and too fake. If Birmingham really doesn't allow you to even do prosection then that is going to be an issue for anatomy teaching.
Reply 5
Original post by Okorange
I learned anatomy from a combination of lectures, textbooks, dissection and prosection. I found the the online anatomy stuff to be pretty useless and too fake. If Birmingham really doesn't allow you to even do prosection then that is going to be an issue for anatomy teaching.

I agree. Can any Birmingham students tell me how often they had prosection in the first 2 years, and how effective it was (ie. too many students, allowed to touch?, enough time? Etc) ? Would really appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it is your only offer though do not sweat it at all. If you really do end up going into surgery, you'll have plenty of opportunity to learn all this on your own sometime.
Original post by Tronick
I agree. Can any Birmingham students tell me how often they had prosection in the first 2 years, and how effective it was (ie. too many students, allowed to touch?, enough time? Etc) ? Would really appreciate it

Hiya, im a Birmingham student, and although it was a long time ago I did anatomy (2009-11) I'll try and answer your questions. We had approximately 3 sessions of prosection per year in first and second year, and a session in third year. They lasted two hours and we were in small groups of 2-3 rotating around different specimen tables, with anatomy demonstrators there to help and answer any questions.

It was useful and you are allowed to touch the specimens, and I think that one benefit it has over dissection is that the specimens have been dissected by experts to show specific important things.

Overall I'd say it really doesn't matter whether you have dissection or prosection. There are plenty of ways to learn anatomy and there's far more too medicine than anatomy, so I wouldn't let it influence your choice of medical school.

If you have any other questions about the medical school just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Thankyou. I won't lie and tell you that my worries have been soothed, but if I don't get any other offers I don't have a choice anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
There are lots of surgeons from non-dissection uni's. Birmingham has a lot of good doctors. Make of that what you will :smile:

Birmingham is a very good school, I'm sure you'll enjoy it there.
Original post by Tronick
Thankyou. I won't lie and tell you that my worries have been soothed, but if I don't get any other offers I don't have a choice anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly wouldn't let it worry you. Anatomy teaching is perfectly good, and learning clinical medicine and therapeutics is far more important than anatomy in being a junior doctor.By the time you are in final year you only really remember the anatomy which is relevant to clinical medicine. And as somebody above said, if surgery is your goal, you'll learn it as you are doing it!
Reply 11
Original post by toffeecrisp_
I honestly wouldn't let it worry you. Anatomy teaching is perfectly good, and learning clinical medicine and therapeutics is far more important than anatomy in being a junior doctor.By the time you are in final year you only really remember the anatomy which is relevant to clinical medicine. And as somebody above said, if surgery is your goal, you'll learn it as you are doing it!

Perhaps I'm over-estimating the importance of anatomy as an undergraduate.
Original post by Tronick
Perhaps I'm over-estimating the importance of anatomy as an undergraduate.

Not at all - anatomy is very important, for both medics and surgeons. But you can learn it well with or without decent time in the prosectorium.
Manchester do full-body dissection. Most schools don't do that at all - they focus on prosection, which is much more useful because the techies have prepped the areas you need to see. My Cantab friend mostly seems to agree that prosection's better anyway.

FBD gives you a great overview of human anatomy and you get to see general structure. It's good fun and lets you get accustomed to stuff like cracking ribs/exposing the thoracic cavity using saws to remove the scapula etc. etc. but at the end of the day, its usefulness is limited. If you really don't get to prosect then that's a little poor. Of course, needs must. You're a medical applicant and you will go wherever you get offers. If you want to, firm somewhere else.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="toffeecrisp_;53424151"]
Original post by Tronick

Hiya, im a Birmingham student, and although it was a long time ago I did anatomy (2009-11) I'll try and answer your questions. We had approximately 3 sessions of prosection per year in first and second year, and a session in third year. They lasted two hours and we were in small groups of 2-3 rotating around different specimen tables, with anatomy demonstrators there to help and answer any questions.

It was useful and you are allowed to touch the specimens, and I think that one benefit it has over dissection is that the specimens have been dissected by experts to show specific important things.

Overall I'd say it really doesn't matter whether you have dissection or prosection. There are plenty of ways to learn anatomy and there's far more too medicine than anatomy, so I wouldn't let it influence your choice of medical school.

If you have any other questions about the medical school just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey
are there any negatives about the medical school especially in clinical years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending