The Student Room Group

Part time jobs in London: easy to find?

I've been hearing very different answers to this questions, so let's hear some more. I'll be in London next year and I'd love it if I could find work as fast as possible. I don't have a lot of work exp, and none as a waitress or something similar (and I'm guessing this is the most probable job I'll get), so what are my chances of finding any? Are there enough jobs available for me to find something convenient location and salary wise (from what I hear the avg paying is 6 000)?
Moved to Temporary Employment :smile:
Reply 2
I don't think so - I have one and various zero hours/casual jobs.

Saturday job for a Train Operating Company selling rail tickets - around £10ph.
An office based role for a media company, £9ph

Casual bus driving for various operators, between £9 and £11 per hour. This does require a PCV driving licence though, which I think you have to be 18 to get.
Original post by CCK
I don't think so - I have one and various zero hours/casual jobs.

Saturday job for a Train Operating Company selling rail tickets - around £10ph.
An office based role for a media company, £9ph

Casual bus driving for various operators, between £9 and £11 per hour. This does require a PCV driving licence though, which I think you have to be 18 to get.

Hm:-?? I calculated how much I'd need to work considering the worst case scenario, minimum paid salary, but I see this is almost double.

So jobs are hard to find? Do you know people that have been searching for one for a long time? Selling tickets (I'm guessing 8 hours a week?) sounds pretty good to me, considering the salary.

I have exp as a promoter/volunteer/internships, any idea if this would help me to get a job faster? Thanks a lot:smile:
Any number of telesales/telefundraising places will hire ANYONE as long as you act all extroverted in the interviews. Go on Gumtree. Most are weekly paid, as well.

Official warning: the work is soul destroying.
Reply 5
Original post by emanueladiana
Hm:-?? I calculated how much I'd need to work considering the worst case scenario, minimum paid salary, but I see this is almost double.

So jobs are hard to find? Do you know people that have been searching for one for a long time? Selling tickets (I'm guessing 8 hours a week?) sounds pretty good to me, considering the salary.

I have exp as a promoter/volunteer/internships, any idea if this would help me to get a job faster? Thanks a lot:smile:

It depends on where you are and where you look. For me, it wasn't too hard but then I didn't go for competitive retail or restaurant jobs!
Original post by CCK
It depends on where you are and where you look. For me, it wasn't too hard but then I didn't go for competitive retail or restaurant jobs!

Tbh, as long as it's decent, I'll go for any job. Although waitressing would be my last choice as I'm quite clumsy.:biggrin:
Original post by kingoftheting
Any number of telesales/telefundraising places will hire ANYONE as long as you act all extroverted in the interviews. Go on Gumtree. Most are weekly paid, as well.

Official warning: the work is soul destroying.

Wait. Telesales? What exactly does that involve? (and why soul destroying?)
Honestly, mate. Gumtree > telesales. As long as you don't drool and can follow a script, you can be in training within a week and get your first pay cheque within two. I'll even recommend some companies: CCA International is a telesales one, Pell & Bales is a telefundraising one. It's about £250 week before any potential commission.

When I worked for CCA International, I selling broadband. When I worked for Pell and Bales I was fundraising for children in need. All over the phone. It beats standing in the street trying to raise money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by emanueladiana
Tbh, as long as it's decent, I'll go for any job. Although waitressing would be my last choice as I'm quite clumsy.:biggrin:

Well it depends on where you're based - if it's anywhere near London, there may well be a few options. I've helped a few friends get a job :smile:
Original post by CCK
Well it depends on where you're based - if it's anywhere near London, there may well be a few options. I've helped a few friends get a job :smile:

Well then, I hope I'll bump into lots of people like you!:smile:)

I'm most probably gonna study at King's, but I'm still waiting on UCL & Imperial, and I might get accepted by the first one.

In any case, I'm gonna live in London (hopefully UCL will accept me, their hall fees are considerably lower than King's).
Honestly, mate. Gumtree > telesales. As long as you don't drool and can follow a script, you can be in training within a week and get your first pay cheque within two. I'll even recommend some companies: CCA International is a telesales one, Pell & Bales is a telefundraising one. It's about £250 week before any potential commission.

When I worked for CCA International, I selling broadband. When I worked for Pell and Bales I was fundraising for children in need. All over the phone. It beats standing in the street trying to raise money.

Wouldn't the fact that I'm foreign (and Romanian) be a problem? Sounds a bit too good to be true.
If you have the right to work here, that's fine. How strong is your accent and how good is your spoken English?
If you have the right to work here, that's fine. How strong is your accent and how good is your spoken English?

It would take for someone British to assess my accent, but considering everybody I talked in English with, they (seemed, at least!) to understand what I said just fine. I do sometimes stutter when I'm nervous, so I guess they'd rather hire someone that drools than me.

My spoken English is fabulous, many thanks shall be given to King and Grisham. (vocabulary wise)
(edited 9 years ago)
There is no harm in trying it out. They will talk to you over the phone in the first instance anyway.
There is no harm in trying it out. They will talk to you over the phone in the first instance anyway.

I surely will. Thanks a lot for the info.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending