The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I first did a degree in sociology and politics, then worked as a healthcare assistant, then trained as a nurse. I work as a nurse on an acute admissions unit at the moment.

My academic record is pretty bad - I only did 2 A levels and got BC. 2.1 for my BA and a distinction for nursing.

That limits where I can apply to so am willing to go just about anywhere! I can't afford to do the 5 year although I think I would stand a better chance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 161
PS - I'm with you on being freaked out after thinking and dreaming about it! I've toyed with the idea for years and suddenly realised I actually have to do this! It's scary stuff...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
I'm feeling a lot better about my application now as I'm only applying to UKCAT unis on my first time applying and without chemistry only eligible for little so Warwick is my hopeful choice and with their 70 hours experience require I've just worked out that currently I have 262.5 hours yay!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 163
Original post by Quilverine
Probably not going to get any interviews this year with 665 in the UKCAT. I plan to sit the GAMSAT, MCAT and UKCAT next year and applying to Duke in Singapore, Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, and Barts.

My stats- Crap A Levels AADbd, first class honours in a BSc that no one understands, MSc in science communication, consistently on the 70th centile for aptitude tests which is good but not good enough, years and years of voluntary work, current NHS employee, decent clinical experience and all the extra curriculars you could shake a stick and I interview like a boss...but that's not going to help until I manage to nail an admissions test. :biggrin:

Slightly cynical, slightly exasperated, totally resigned to being the oldest grad on the programme when my chance finally comes around. Good luck guys, hopefully some of us will be future classmates.

Dont worry, I will be 30 when I start. I'm doing the test in sept 15 for 16 entry. I know plenty of medics and once the GEM and undergrad courses merge in year 2 there are plenty of people 30 +. Lots of people in the same boat. Keep plugging away- we will retire at around 75 I reckon. Even if you find your career at 35, still 40 years to go. Plenty of time!
Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could help me out here. I am 25 years old with a 2.1 business degree (240 ucas points i.e. rubbish a-levels) from a decent Midlands University but thinking about applying for GEM for the 2016 intake.

I understand that I would need a good amount of varied work experience, how much would you guys consider to be a good amount of work experience? The application would have to be submitted to ucas in October, is there enough time to build up a good enough amount of work experience between then and now to get an interview- or do you need years on top of years worth of work experience to get in?

Also, I am not too keen on the UKCAT as it is more difficult to revise for compared to the GAMSAT, is that correct? This would obviously affect which 4 universities I would apply for GEM. I was so far thinking Swansea, Notts and St Georges- any ideas on university choices also? Thanks in advance folks!

regards,

Jono
Reply 165
Original post by Fogalog
Hello!

What's your background? And why have you chosen only Scotland and only 5 year courses?

At the moment I'm torn about applying - have had many crises of confidence (unsuccessful application this year) and sometimes wonder if I'm mad to want to do it at all!

Also am 29 and I feel very old to begin something so life changing.

All that aside I'm just really excited at the prospect!

What about you? How do you feel about it?

Sorry if above is too much information!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Join the old(er) club!Im 28 and will be applying this year...30 by the time i start. Dont worry about half of GEM is 30+ apparently. (so say my doctor friend)
Reply 166
Original post by shipguy
Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could help me out here. I am 25 years old with a 2.1 business degree (240 ucas points i.e. rubbish a-levels) from a decent Midlands University but thinking about applying for GEM for the 2016 intake.

I understand that I would need a good amount of varied work experience, how much would you guys consider to be a good amount of work experience? The application would have to be submitted to ucas in October, is there enough time to build up a good enough amount of work experience between then and now to get an interview- or do you need years on top of years worth of work experience to get in?

Also, I am not too keen on the UKCAT as it is more difficult to revise for compared to the GAMSAT, is that correct? This would obviously affect which 4 universities I would apply for GEM. I was so far thinking Swansea, Notts and St Georges- any ideas on university choices also? Thanks in advance folks!

regards,

Jono

think you're in the same boat as me mate. I dont know what to do with my 4th choice. Might just randomly apply abroad to fill the hole. See where is cheapest. I want to Birmingham University, you?
Original post by Lxh524
think you're in the same boat as me mate. I dont know what to do with my 4th choice. Might just randomly apply abroad to fill the hole. See where is cheapest. I want to Birmingham University, you?

Hello mate,

Not sure at all, perhaps Newcastle maybe. The main problem for me is gaining the work experience (not knowing how much) and smashing the GAMSAT would be tough also. Have you built up any recent work experience yet?

Regards,

Jono
Reply 168
Is anyone in the midlands looking to be a part of a study group?

Secondly, Iv'e just bought the latest edition of gold standard (£118) but the new release (31st jan 15) has many, many more practice questions. This was a previous critique of the gold standard book so hopefully will see how it looks. For anyone who says it's too expensive I would bear in mind that you can always sell it afterwards. You can make back 80% of the money. (check out amazon used catergories). To me, I would prefer all my resources to be in one place-hence the purchase of the book. Would be interested to hear other peoples purchases/recommendations. Griffiths is recommended but the website looks like it was put together by my nan so am hesitant. Where as the gold standard is slick and with the online access card I get some other stuff.

Good luck to everyone- really nice to hear people speak of deciding late in the day on their career path. Saying that at 18, or 25 really to be honest... I was no where near mature enough. So I'm glad I'm taking this pathway.
Original post by Lxh524
Dont worry, I will be 30 when I start. I'm doing the test in sept 15 for 16 entry. I know plenty of medics and once the GEM and undergrad courses merge in year 2 there are plenty of people 30 +. Lots of people in the same boat. Keep plugging away- we will retire at around 75 I reckon. Even if you find your career at 35, still 40 years to go. Plenty of time!

Starting to feel like my daughter could end up at med school before me! Could be one of those vile parents living vicariously through her. :biggrin:

Still I just got a Merit on my first MSc submission! Much needed boost when I was feeling useless. I'm also being screened for Irlen's syndrome in a couple of weeks which could really explain why I can't do the UKCAT but can do the GAMSAT.
Reply 170
Hi all

Is anyone else feeling completely overwhelmed by this? I've been doing some research but there seems like so many things to consider that I don't know where to start. I think I'm good for the experience as I'm a current NHS worker with a clinical role but I'm not sure whether I'll also be expected to have done some other things as well?

Currently trying to finish my BSc with a good enough grade whilst working full time and starting to think about GAMSAT and UKCAT.

I've resigned myself to having no social life for the next few months but I'm wondering what sort of extracurricular stuff might be useful that I'd have time to pick up.

:smile:
Original post by Dalkey
Hi all

Is anyone else feeling completely overwhelmed by this? I've been doing some research but there seems like so many things to consider that I don't know where to start. I think I'm good for the experience as I'm a current NHS worker with a clinical role but I'm not sure whether I'll also be expected to have done some other things as well?

Currently trying to finish my BSc with a good enough grade whilst working full time and starting to think about GAMSAT and UKCAT.

I've resigned myself to having no social life for the next few months but I'm wondering what sort of extracurricular stuff might be useful that I'd have time to pick up.

:smile:

Same, I totally understand where u are coming from.

I am also worried about the funding. 5yr Med courses are less competitive for graduates but you have to pay the £9000 tuition fee upfront yourself. I just don't know how students can afford this (unless if they have rich parents). I know that some people work during the Summer-time and have a part time job during term but surely its near-impossible to raise £9000 in such a short space of time?

I am just trying to get the best grades I can for this year and also pick up valuable work experience...
Reply 172
Yeah I'm not even considering a 5 year course unless I have a medium sized lottery win 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fogalog
I first did a degree in sociology and politics, then worked as a healthcare assistant, then trained as a nurse. I work as a nurse on an acute admissions unit at the moment.

My academic record is pretty bad - I only did 2 A levels and got BC. 2.1 for my BA and a distinction for nursing.

That limits where I can apply to so am willing to go just about anywhere! I can't afford to do the 5 year although I think I would stand a better chance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I am currently working a nurse too so its nice to hear from someone else taking the same pathway. How long have you been nursing for?
Original post by victoria25
Hi, I am currently working a nurse too so its nice to hear from someone else taking the same pathway. How long have you been nursing for?

Original post by Fogalog

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to say it's definitely possible to make the transition from nursing. I'm currently in my first year of gem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForensicKetchup
My background: didn't consider medicine as a career until late on in my school career, after I'd already chosen to study languages/arts etc for my highers. So, I went on to FE college to pick up the sciences I didn't do and started a degree in Biomedical Science. I'm limited to Scotland for financial reasons, mostly. As a Scottish domiciled student, I would pay home fees, which are substantially lower than the £9k I would pay going elsewhere, even with the extra year. There are no 4 year GEM courses offered in Scotland.

I am pretty excited and nervous about it, but a little bit freaked out that I'll be applying this year after talking about it for so long. I'm not as old as many grad entrants, but still feel aged comapred to some of the 17 and 18 year olds I'll be applying with. :colondollar:

What is your background?

how old are you if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by ForestCat
Just to say it's definitely possible to make the transition from nursing. I'm currently in my first year of gem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for your response. Can I ask which university's you applied for? I'm limited to some because of my non science A levels but the gem programmes, although more competitive, are looking to be the more likely option. Did any of the unis you applied for/interviewed for have any concern or negative opinions on you changing from nursing because I've heard some don't like it. And did you have a lot of experience beforehand?
Original post by victoria25
Hi, thanks for your response. Can I ask which university's you applied for? I'm limited to some because of my non science A levels but the gem programmes, although more competitive, are looking to be the more likely option. Did any of the unis you applied for/interviewed for have any concern or negative opinions on you changing from nursing because I've heard some don't like it. And did you have a lot of experience beforehand?

I applied to Warwick Leicester and Southampton. Interviews at Leicester and Southampton.

No one ever had a problem with me switching. But I'd been working for a couple of years before I applied. I think people don't like it if they think you're using nursing as a stepping stone to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm going to put this off for a bit, been offered a job in medical imaging and it would be great to get a few years of clinical practice under my belt and spend quality time with my daughter. I think I'll sit the UKCAT each year just to get the practice and see if I can make improvements but I think 2017 or even waiting until my daughter starts senior school might be better for my family circumstances (2021!!). Would even be time to do a PhD first that way! hehe.
Kings is not accepting anyone with an arts degree from 2016 for their GEP course.. It states on their website that it must only be in a science subject :frown: This means I've got to start revising the Gamsat now!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending