The Student Room Group

British Chemistry Olympiad 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indium
Shhh don't give it away! :biggrin:

Haha, I highly doubt anyone will get anything from that anyway...
Original post by NotAllInsane
Did anybody get the indium q? Or the waves one? Ive already sat it, but i'm interested to know if I did it right :')

Please don't give away any hints :frown:
Reply 42
Anyone got any predictions for bronze/silver/gold boundaries?
Original post by Dylann
LOL I was so embarrassed to write that I was doing a Chemistry degree next year on my paper. I thought I was well prepared, but that paper was something else. 10 times harder than any past paper. I guess they want schools to start olympiad training to get more golds at the IChO :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% on the same wavelength as you pal - that was horrific! We did it in our school last Wednesday - so much worse than all of the past papers I did. No amount of preparation could have prepared me for that!

Put it this way, I've done so badly that when we get it marked next week they'll decide I don't even deserve a participation certificate :L
Original post by Spelly456
Please don't give away any hints :frown:

From the responses so far, the grade boundaries are going to be VERY low. Especially considering the fact that this is TSR.
Reply 45
Original post by Xin Xang
From the responses so far, the grade boundaries are going to be VERY low. Especially considering the fact that this is TSR.

TSR aren't actually the smartest students. Private school students certainly are (and they don't really use TSR). I'm afraid a lot of independent schools do a lot of olympiad training so the grade boundaries might not be too low, unfortunately.

However I'm hoping a lot of normal schools entered their whole school lol to offset the private schools

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by bethanykmac
100% on the same wavelength as you pal - that was horrific! We did it in our school last Wednesday - so much worse than all of the past papers I did. No amount of preparation could have prepared me for that!

Put it this way, I've done so badly that when we get it marked next week they'll decide I don't even deserve a participation certificate :L

Yup. I honestly thought I could get a gold - I got about 75% in past papers but probably didn't even make 15% in this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Counted up what I roughly think I got for each question...I think I got maybe 28/75 :')
Original post by talkbiology
Counted up what I roughly think I got for each question...I think I got maybe 28/75 :')

I envy you, i felt like i was doing well until i reached question 1. Q2&3 are my savior..
I didn't get past c in Q1. and didn't attempt 5 due to time restrictions. All in all i'm hoping for 11-19
Original post by Joshthemathmo
I envy you, i felt like i was doing well until i reached question 1. Q2&3 are my savior..

Eh, Q2 was absolutely horrendous and I didn't even attempt Q3. Q4 was my favourite, enzyme kinetics/alcohol metabolism etc. (as my username may suggest I'm more into the biological side than the physical side. :tongue:)
I have my olympiad tomorrow so maybe don't talk about it that much haha! :P

I have generally done dreadful in the past papers and it sounds like it was really hard this year so I wish I wasn't even doing it tomorrow. It's going to be 2 hours of embarrassment and torture for me
Original post by aprocrastinator
I have my olympiad tomorrow so maybe don't talk about it that much haha! :P

I have generally done dreadful in the past papers and it sounds like it was really hard this year so I wish I wasn't even doing it tomorrow. It's going to be 2 hours of embarrassment and torture for me

I love how your username is "a procrastinator" and you say you're doing the Olympiad tomorrow XD
I love how your username is "a procrastinator" and you say you're doing the Olympiad tomorrow XD

I get a lot of stick for it haha. I intended it to be slightly ironic haha!
Moved to chemistry :hat2:
Anyone know when the last day is that people sit the Olympiad and we can talk about the questions?
Reply 56
Anyone know when the last day is that people sit the Olympiad and we can talk about the questions?

I think it might be the 11th
I did the olympiad just now! It was better than I thought it was going to be! Though I completely mucked up question 3 and 4...
Can people who haven't done the paper yet please stop sending me messages asking for what questions come up
Reply 59
I will jump for joy if I get more than 10/75... :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest