The Student Room Group

Are soul mates real?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by emanueladiana
Rational means science-proved. What does irrational mean then?

Irrational= 'Not logical or reasonable'
Thus my point that for someone to believe in something that you may not, is perfectly 'reasonable', i.e. not 'irrational.
Original post by monlakh
Irrational= 'Not logical or reasonable'
Thus my point that for someone to believe in something that you may not, is perfectly 'reasonable', i.e. not 'irrational.

It is far from reasonable to believe in soulmates. The idea suggests that we have a destiny, and that nothing that we do in life changes what is going to happen. Furthermore, it urges people to not think about consequences, because anything they do, it won't affect the final outcome. This is irrational.
Reply 102
No soul mates are not real. It's one the most commonly spouted nonsense loved up people say... until tons of these 'perfect' relationships end in acrimony, cheating, divorces etc lol. From a purely logical standpoint, it makes no sense and here's why.

Why is it that most people who claims to have met their soulmate in this world of over 7 billion people usually found them in the same hemisphere as themselves, in the same continent, in the same country, in the same town or city, in the same region of that town or city, who they just happened to work with, or met them in a club they happened to be in, or went to the same gym as them, or saw them in the same park they were walking in etc etc etc... You don't need any real maths knowledge to know the odds of that happening are so ridiculous, but since soul mates are so 'common', I should feel extremely confident of winning the Lottery on Saturday!

As other people have likely said, we're humans designed to form bonds with other people and we can develop deep romantic feelings for more then one person. None of us are that inherently special beyond being our normal unique selves. We do not have people out there designed to 'complete' us or w/e lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JME10
No soul mates are not real. It's one the most commonly spouted nonsense loved up people say... until tons of these 'perfect' relationships end in acrimony, cheating, divorces etc lol. From a purely logical standpoint, it makes no sense and here's why.

Why is it that most people who claims to have met their soulmate in this world of over 7 billion people usually found them in the same hemisphere as themselves, in the same continent, in the same country, in the same town or city, in the same region of that town or city, who just happened to work with, or met them in a club they happened to be in, or went to the same gym as them, or saw them in the same park they were walking in etc etc etc... You don't need any real maths knowledge to know the odds of that happening are so ridiculous, but since soul mates are so 'common', I should feel extremely confident of winning the Lottery on Saturday!

As other people have likely said, we're humans designed to form bonds with other people and we can develop deep romantic feelings for more then one person. None of us are that inherently special beyond being our normal unique selves. We do not have people out there designed to 'complete' us or w/e lol.

But oh! it's destiny!
Reply 104
But oh! it's destiny!

Haha, I hope I didn't sound too snarky but it's important because this sort of thinking can mess people up in the long run. If you believe in this too much, you can ruin good relationships and discard great people from your life because you expect to feel an unrealistic level of satisfaction beyond what you are experiencing.

It's very similar to the popular, 'follow your passions to your dream job!' mantra. This type of thinking again can set unrealistic expectations of what a person's working life should bring which can bring lead to more unhappiness and potentially, really bad career decisions.
Original post by JME10
Haha, I hope I didn't sound too snarky but it's important because this sort of thinking can mess people up in the long run. If you believe in this too much, you can ruin good relationships and discard great people from your life because you expect to feel an unrealistic level of satisfaction beyond what you are experiencing.

It's very similar to the popular, 'follow your passions to your dream job!' mantra. This type of thinking again can set unrealistic expectations of what a person's working life should bring which can bring lead to more unhappiness and potentially, really bad career decisions.

Well don't tell me, I'm aware of this. But really now, without being mean or anything, what would we do if everybody set realistic goals in life? Some must fail so others can prevail. And in the end, they gain the one most important thing, happiness, because no matter how much crap life's throwing to them, they will still feel lucky, and will die believing they were special.
Original post by HarryJRussell
Have you ever had an outer body experience? Or perhaps a lucid dream? What about an astral projection?

Souls are very real, I can say that with certainty however soul mates is something I would like to get more opinions about so I can have a greater understanding of what people on this forum are like, from the first 2 replies I'm starting to feel like everyone here is an militant atheist

Really? Souls exist? What does a soul look like? How do you know souls exist? Are you just a liar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Well don't tell me, I'm aware of this. But really now, without being mean or anything, what would we do if everybody set realistic goals in life? Some must fail so others can prevail. And in the end, they gain the one most important thing, happiness, because no matter how much crap life's throwing to them, they will still feel lucky, and will die believing they were special.

Oh no don't worry, you made some great points. I would describe myself as a 'realist' which I guess means I tend to err on the side of caution with most things and I mainly think that way too.

You're absolutely right though, the world needs people who wish to take a more risky approach and shoot for the moon, and those people should do what they feel will bring them most happiness. It's just that for most people, like you said, they'll fail and I feel bad when there's so many people far more unhappy then they need to be in life because of poor perspective and poor guidance. A quick typing of "I hate my job/life" in Google will illustrate better how big of a problem these types of things can be.
Original post by JME10
Oh no don't worry, you made some great points. I would describe myself as a 'realist' which I guess means I tend to err on the side of caution with most things and I mainly think that way too.

You're absolutely right though, the world needs people who wish to take a more risky approach and shoot for the moon, and those people should do what they feel will bring them most happiness. It's just that for most people, like you said, they'll fail and I feel bad when there's so many people far more unhappy then they need to be in life because of poor perspective and poor guidance. A quick typing of "I hate my job/life" in Google will illustrate better how big of a problem these types of things can be.

Agree. But they could change their way of thinking only if they want to, anybody else can do little to help. It's the same for everything.
I would say soul mates, as in true love, do not exist, if it wasn't for a dream I had few years back. I forgot what I felt like in that dream, but I know I have never ever felt that good before (or after). I'd say that was a remembered moment from a past life.
people saying it's not real is like people who have not eaten ice cream commenting on its taste.

F stupid.
Soul mates is a vague term that doesn't really mean much imo, but I can say that when I was a teenager I had relationships that felt like they were healthy and fulfilling.

Then I started my a levels and my boyfriend at the time and I came to a natural end, so I decided to give love a lower priority on the pecking order for a while and concentrate.

Then it was odd because as soon as I stopped looking and was comfortable with myself as a single person, I met someone who I got on with instantly, and that just developed into something without my even realising. Thing is that I didn't even realise relationships could be so organic - this boy is my boyfriend and best friend and just team mate to go out and fight the world.

The point I am trying to make is that when I was a teenager I thought that I looked for what I wanted and that was as good as it gets; but actually - you don't know how good it CAN be until you truly experience it. Once thing is that you can't force yourself to meet a 'soul mate', so it's just best to be comfortable with yourself and feel safe knowing that it takes one to know one, and if you stay true to yourself and that other half out there does too, you'll find them easy to spot when you finally meet them. Best of luck xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending