The Student Room Group

Extreme stress causing me to fail at universitye

I was passing with flying colours until I had an unplanned pregnancy. While pregnant I failed the three essays which make up one of the modules. I then took a year out to have my baby. I came back in September and the university have been hopeless! I have to fight just to get them to do basic things. I've only just managed to get them to mark my essays officially and I'm still waiting for the results. My grades are in the 40s as marked by my tutor and waiting for official fail so I can get a date for resubmittion. I'm doing a masters and need 50 % to pass. I have tried really hard and sent my new draft to my tutor who says they are at about 48%. I had tried really hard and felt my essays were massively improved so it was a huge disappointment to hear that they still weren't at a passing standard.

I I have just resubmitted another attempt and my tutor is supposed to read them and let me know if they will pass. I've done the best I can, I think he may have been overly harsh with his marking so I'm hoping they are at a passing standard. But I just feel like I've got the world against me.

My my baby is beyond a nightmare and to be honest a horrid child. He refuses to sleep and spends all day everyday exhausted, angry and crying. I can't afford childcare so I have to write my essays in that environment!

That coupled with the fact that I'm already behind, my tutor is hopeless and ignores me a lot of the time when he is supposed to be helping me with my essays and teaching me the next module and I'm just really struggling to achieve the desired grades.

I am so nearly at the end. I have these essays to improve. Then I have a 3000 word essay and then a 100 day placement and that's it!! I would be a qualified social worker. I'm so near and yet so far.

Any Advice appreciated.
This sounds like a really difficult situation for you so well done for coping so far. It doesn't sound like the university have been that helpful which is a shame. Since you rightly point out that you're close to finishing, I would just try your best and hope that it is good enough. Find out about the situation for retakes of modules you failed and possibly try to find someone who is more sympathetic to your situation at the uni...maybe a head of programme or a counsellor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It Is the head of the course that is the one supposed to be helping me and that has been unhelpful. But I have managed to speak to a student union representative who has promised to help. It helps just writing it down to be honest.
I know I'm really near and I'm not against the clock so I hope I can stay positive
You've had a tough time, and you are doing well to keep everything going.

How old is your baby? Do you have a health visitor? Just wondering how old your baby is, and if he might have colic, or whether health visitor or GP might be able to help some way. Some babies do just cry a lot, some turn out to have a reason. My eldest threw up all day everyday, woke up every hour or two at night, turned out to be waking up with heartburn as he had a reflux problem not properly diagnosed until he was about 9 months old.

Also wondering whether you have a friend you would trust to look after the baby even for an hour or two, to give you a break. It's hard enough work looking after a baby who cries a lot, let alone while you are trying to study as well, and you need a break sometimes. Even people with quiet babies who sleep to schedule need some adult company away from their babies from time to time.

Is there a Uni welfare fund that might help with childcare costs? Maybe your Uni has a creche or nursery that you could use?
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I took my baby to the doctors. He's 15 months so maybe more of a toddler now. He used to be a lovely baby but the last three weeks he has cried none stop. I thought he'd just turned into a hotrible child but it turns out he has an ear infection in both ears. The doctor said that it would have been painful. I feels awful now. He is on strong antibiotics and I can already see a difference this morning in him. He is laughing away while eating his breakfast :-)

I have also applied for childcare costs to be met on a Friday one day a week. Hopefully I get that.

I'm very worried my essays will fail but I will just have to try my very best
Original post by Mezza362
Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I took my baby to the doctors. He's 15 months so maybe more of a toddler now. He used to be a lovely baby but the last three weeks he has cried none stop. I thought he'd just turned into a hotrible child but it turns out he has an ear infection in both ears. The doctor said that it would have been painful. I feels awful now. He is on strong antibiotics and I can already see a difference this morning in him. He is laughing away while eating his breakfast :-)

I have also applied for childcare costs to be met on a Friday one day a week. Hopefully I get that.

I'm very worried my essays will fail but I will just have to try my very best

Good luck with it all - and try not to feel bad about yourself, it's not easy to know why they cry, when they can't tell us what's wrong. And toddlers are hard work - they can get into everything! My youngest used to cry simply for not getting his own way, eg not being allowed to play with electrical plugs and sockets, being put in a travel cot for safety for a few minutes. As he learned a few words and could communicate better he got easier, much easier. When your son approaches the age of 2, do read about coping with temper tantrums though!

Good luck with the childcare costs, and the very best of luck for the rest of your Masters. You can only do your best - nobody can ask more of you, including yourself.
Reply 6
I stopped reading when you called your baby a horrid child, for acting like a baby.
Reply 7
Found out I have passed everything, literally crying with joy.
Original post by A5ko
I stopped reading when you called your baby a horrid child, for acting like a baby.

I don't have children, but I imagine it can be very stressful being a parent. The OP just needed to vent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by qwertyking
I don't have children, but I imagine it can be very stressful being a parent. The OP just needed to vent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Obviously I love my son more than anything but he's very difficult at times and I was at a real low when I wrote this post. Feel much better now.
Reply 11
Original post by qwertyking

Thank you :-)
Reply 12

Well done!!! Both on passing and having your son be well again :party:
Wonderful! I am really pleased for you. Take a moment to be really pleased with yourself, you've coped with a lot and demonstrated your ability to manage your time well, prioritise tasks, and deal with stressful situations. (Those are great skills on a CV...)

Very best of luck in the future, to you and your son xx
Reply 14
Original post by tffcx
Well done!!! Both on passing and having your son be well again :party:

Thank you :-)
Reply 15
Original post by cheshiremum
Wonderful! I am really pleased for you. Take a moment to be really pleased with yourself, you've coped with a lot and demonstrated your ability to manage your time well, prioritise tasks, and deal with stressful situations. (Those are great skills on a CV...)

Very best of luck in the future, to you and your son xx

thank you
Reply 16
I wanted to update this post. I qualified last week from my University with a distinction. It's so emotional Reading this thread back.
:-)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest