The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Disagree entirely personally. Strict rules are required to keep kids in line, reality is they'll go off the rails if they're given too much freedom. Also think every kid should go to university (in its current format). It's not fair for them not to, literally all jobs require a degree now to get anywhere in life, and not encouraging people to go is foolish. Think education system should be revamped though so it's harder to get in and increasing a degree's value as a commodity.
Original post by FellainiSucks
Disagree entirely personally. Strict rules are required to keep kids in line, reality is they'll go off the rails if they're given too much freedom. Also think every kid should go to university (in its current format). It's not fair for them not to, literally all jobs require a degree now to get anywhere in life, and not encouraging people to go is foolish. Think education system should be revamped though so it's harder to get in and increasing a degree's value as a commodity.

have you graduated from uni recently?

The state that university is leaving many graduates at the moment.. 'all jobs' require a degree, is just wrong. sure a lot do have that as their requirement.. but as many posters on here will tell you, the shift is entirely towards experiance over education in todays job market.

+ I agree with strict rules. but for me tohse rules have to be all focused on the main role of our education system: Education.

Uniform should be strict to the point where it benifits their education (removing distrcations, arguements, etc. -- but not to strict to the point where it creates unnesssary teaching disruptions and endless hassle for teachers.

For me, the older polo shirt / jumper combination was the right ballence on that scale
IMO, most people are ****ing morons and there should be an exam you take before you can have kids. But hey, this is totally unethical and against any notion of human rights.
Original post by Tom_Ford
IMO, most people are ****ing morons and there should be an exam you take before you can have kids. But hey, this is totally unethical and against any notion of human rights.

edit - hope you saw that before I deleted it. Cant keep my comments on education to public though, given that I spend time in schools at the moment
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
have you graduated from uni recently?

The state that university is leaving many graduates at the moment.. 'all jobs' require a degree, is just wrong. sure a lot do have that as their requirement.. but as many posters on here will tell you, the shift is entirely towards experiance over education in todays job market.

+ I agree with strict rules. but for me tohse rules have to be all focused on the main role of our education system: Education.

Uniform should be strict to the point where it benifits their education (removing distrcations, arguements, etc. -- but not to strict to the point where it creates unnesssary teaching disruptions and endless hassle for teachers.

For me, the older polo shirt / jumper combination was the right ballence on that scale

Ironically no. A first year actually aha.

The shift is both. The problem is to due with a saturated market with too many Micky mouse courses out there. They need to limit the amount that can go by increasing entry requirements. University should get you top jobs, people complain rightly so that there's too many graduates. But in the world we live in you ain't getting anywhere without a degree regardless of talent unless you're lucky as ****.

I can't comment on the old uniform as I don't know but there's nothing wrong with being smart and taking pride in your appearance, you can't turn up to work with untucked shirt and tie halfway down looking scruffy. It's an important life lesson.
Original post by FellainiSucks
Ironically no. A first year actually aha.

The shift is both. The problem is to due with a saturated market with too many Micky mouse courses out there. They need to limit the amount that can go by increasing entry requirements. University should get you top jobs, people complain rightly so that there's too many graduates. But in the world we live in you ain't getting anywhere without a degree regardless of talent unless you're lucky as ****.

I can't comment on the old uniform as I don't know but there's nothing wrong with being smart and taking pride in your appearance, you can't turn up to work with untucked shirt and tie halfway down looking scruffy. It's an important life lesson.

For me the uniform part comes down to how young you want kids to grow up.

I mean, yes, I get that its a good life-skill.. but I think there is a time for that skill to be introduced, and its not at 11. It really depresses me to see 11 year old children looking like mini office workers.. as I really think there is value in letting kids be kids, without to many responsibilities, before you introduce them to the realities of adult life. and for me this is just one part of a larger shift in children loosing thier childhood (most of it is not to do with education though)

--

For the university part, I agree entirely with raising standards, getting rid of micky mouse degrees, and working ot bring back better job prospects for graduates - but for me the answer to most of those is reducing student numbers.

The key for me is:

Every student should leave school with the chance to go to university.

not:

Every student should go to university.

I want schools to prepare their kids foruniversity, to get them their qualifications, and show them how to apply.. BUT then encorage them to also look at other options, jobs, aprentiships, training schemes, work schemes, etc..

Some schools do this very well, but others ignore those things (infact I was in a school where they openly said 'none of you will get a job when leaving here.. so go to uni') because their % of students attending university, is a huge selling point for their student recruitment.
you know.. one of the thigns I miss most when my wife is away is the food...

Her cooking is just :drool:

Its not that I dont like to cook.. I do, but its just that cooking sucks if these two things are true:

1 - your only cooking for yourself
2 - your cooking all the time.

In a relationship its perfect though, if you have a good balance.. you dont have to cook all the time, and can have a night off if your tired.. you get someone elses skills/flavours matched with yours, so its never boring.. and when you do cook, you get to do it for someone, so you can try and impress.. put on a bit of a show.. makes it feel more worth it.

One of the things my great grandpa used to say was:

'A man dates with his eyes.. loves with his heart.. marries with his stomach.. and keeps going with his brain'
Original post by sr90
Labour's aim to get 50% of people attending university was completely ridiculous, never mind everyone.

There are plenty of trades which don't require a degree. For example someone could go to college and learn a skill like plumbing, electrician, bricklaying, painting/decorating, by the time they're 21 they'll be earning a lot more than most graduates. When I was in sixth form nobody ever mentioned alternatives to uni, It wouldn't have affected me because I was dead set on going, I wanted to study further and it was the only way to get out of the ****hole where I lived. However I met so many people over the course of my degree who just went because they felt like it was their only option.

honestly, I wish someone had told me that studying an arts course was a waste of time..

But really, I dont think I would have listened.

Uni is so inbuilt into our culture now, especially in the middle classes, that the idea of not going to university was just not one I could have comprehended.. you went to uni, and it was going to be the time of your life, and it was going to be as amazing as all of the crazy stories and films, and it was going to lead you to a job, and it was going to be the best days of your life.. and that was that.

To be fair, I am glad I did go - I learnt a lot, I have a job now, and I think I would have always regreted not going..

But I wish that we had a society that made me feel like there was another choice, and made it possible that I could have chonse not to go to uni, and also not regret that choice
honestly, I wish someone had told me that studying an arts course was a waste of time..

But really, I dont think I would have listened.

Uni is so inbuilt into our culture now, especially in the middle classes, that the idea of not going to university was just not one I could have comprehended.. you went to uni, and it was going to be the time of your life, and it was going to be as amazing as all of the crazy stories and films, and it was going to lead you to a job, and it was going to be the best days of your life.. and that was that.

To be fair, I am glad I did go - I learnt a lot, I have a job now, and I think I would have always regreted not going..

But I wish that we had a society that made me feel like there was another choice, and made it possible that I could have chonse not to go to uni, and also not regret that choice

That is simply not possible now, ££££ and employment statistics being the reason. The Student Loans Company is just one big ponzi scheme and that is a perfectly fair judgment.
Reply 829
Today was a great day :biggrin: One step closer to VC funding for my startup! Just gotta find and persuade one more person to join the management team, and we're good to go! Uni tomorrow, but I'll have 3 weeks left to sort it so all good.
Reply 830
Original post by Tom_Ford
That is simply not possible now, ££££ and employment statistics being the reason. The Student Loans Company is just one big ponzi scheme and that is a perfectly fair judgment.

A ponzi scheme is an interesting way to describe it, and ultimately incorrect. You could consider it a sort of pyramid though, if you consider every older/affluent person who influences somebody to go to uni benefits through delaying their access to the job market, and bumping up entry requirements. I'm not sure that's even valid though, as the ones at the top don't benefit more.

SLC makes a loss every year, it needs a complete overhaul.
Original post by samba
Today was a great day :biggrin: One step closer to VC funding for my startup! Just gotta find and persuade one more person to join the management team, and we're good to go! Uni tomorrow, but I'll have 3 weeks left to sort it so all good.

weldone :smile: thats great to hear :smile:

any hints to what your start-up is? - always interestd in hearing what people are trying to do
Reply 832
weldone :smile: thats great to hear :smile:

any hints to what your start-up is? - always interestd in hearing what people are trying to do

Crowdfunding property development :smile: I won't get into details for obvious reasons, but the basic idea is people will get [a lot] more interest and security than loan crowdfunding, as well as having better options down the line than just 'interest and money back'!
^ Ignore my post above, I was thinking about pensions on another forum. Got mixed up.
Reply 834
deleted :p:
Original post by samba
Crowdfunding property development :smile: I won't get into details for obvious reasons, but the basic idea is people will get [a lot] more interest and security than loan crowdfunding, as well as having better options down the line than just 'interest and money back'!

dw, thats more then I was expecting to get :smile: - sounds interesting :smile: Good luck with your fundraising!
Reply 836
dw, thats more then I was expecting to get :smile: - sounds interesting :smile: Good luck with your fundraising!

It's already been pitched to a million VC's and property/advertising magnates anyway so I'm not too worried about randoms on the internet with an outline being in a better position than them to exploit it! It's an annoying catch22, you can't get serious funding without management experience, and you can't get management experience without pitching to people in a position to poach and giving them equity for a once a month meeting and their number :/
Original post by samba
It's already been pitched to a million VC's and property/advertising magnates anyway so I'm not too worried about randoms on the internet with an outline being in a better position than them to exploit it! It's an annoying catch22, you can't get serious funding without management experience, and you can't get management experience without pitching to people in a position to poach and giving them equity for a once a month meeting and their number :/

that does sound rather frustraiting, whats your plan to get round it?

+ I know what you mean.. though I have had my fair share of meeting people who are hyper protective over their genius ideas.. only to discover that when they eventually tell you what it is, they are pitching facebook to you.. or some already pre-existing venture.

(this type of start up facsinates me.. its very removed from the buisness areas that I plan on going into in around 6 months, but I just find it very interesting to see how it all works :smile: )
Reply 838
that does sound rather frustraiting, whats your plan to get round it?

+ I know what you mean.. though I have had my fair share of meeting people who are hyper protective over their genius ideas.. only to discover that when they eventually tell you what it is, they are pitching facebook to you.. or some already pre-existing venture.

(this type of start up facsinates me.. its very removed from the buisness areas that I plan on going into in around 6 months, but I just find it very interesting to see how it all works :smile: )

One thing I've always been told, and found to be true in the last few years is: Ideas are almost worthless, implementation is king.

That's not to say that if you discover a way to make gold out of popcorn it's worthless, more to say that very few ideas are so truly unique and amazing that you'll get backing JUST for an idea. The number of people with good ideas, and the number of good ideas somebody has before being seriously ready to take it further is a lot.

Take my example now, far from my first idea, probably my best, but for funding I need, well a lot of stuff. And without funding you're nothing. Even with funding you NEED that experience in your team to not go completely tits up within months. Which makes for a very frustrating first few years as you have a constant battle to keep control of the company. (you're generally the least experienced and least influential person, so if it looks like it could be a success you're in danger of being bought out before you can buy back the VC shares. You get around it by...giving up even more equity :/

Anyway, I can pm you if you want to know more, but not here :smile: What kind of business are you interested in?
Original post by samba
One thing I've always been told, and found to be true in the last few years is: Ideas are almost worthless, implementation is king.

That's not to say that if you discover a way to make gold out of popcorn it's worthless, more to say that very few ideas are so truly unique and amazing that you'll get backing JUST for an idea. The number of people with good ideas, and the number of good ideas somebody has before being seriously ready to take it further is a lot.

Take my example now, far from my first idea, probably my best, but for funding I need, well a lot of stuff. And without funding you're nothing. Even with funding you NEED that experience in your team to not go completely tits up within months. Which makes for a very frustrating first few years as you have a constant battle to keep control of the company. (you're generally the least experienced and least influential person, so if it looks like it could be a success you're in danger of being bought out before you can buy back the VC shares. You get around it by...giving up even more equity :/

Anyway, I can pm you if you want to know more, but not here :smile: What kind of business are you interested in?

That sounds very interesting.

The issue with the expression and notion that ideas are a dime a dozen is that people begin to believe that expression and start conversing their ideas to the whole world. Of course execution is king, but what are you going to execute? The Idea... It is complete ignorance to suggest ideas are somehow available to anyone and they can formulate them at will, they are scarce and you best believe that the world is out to screw you.

Latest