The Student Room Group

70% graduates get 2:1s or firsts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
Yes, if you think getting a first at Manchester Met is the same as getting a first at Oxford. Of course, they both obviously require the same level of skill and competence even though one course is much broader and complicated than the other. :rolleyes:

My god, why are you so defensive? Who was even comparing Unis? Degrees are losing their value due to inflation. This is just fact, really.
Original post by Iamyourfather
My god, why are you so defensive? Who was even comparing Unis? Degrees are losing their value due to inflation. This is just fact, really.

Evidently, but some degrees are worth more than others given how they require more work.
Evidently, but some degrees are worth more than others given how they require more work.

Well that depends entirely on what the individual wants to pursue. If an individual wants to be a gallery curator then I imagine a degree in History of Art would be more beneficial than Physics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well that depends entirely on what the individual wants to pursue. If an individual wants to be a gallery curator than I image a degree in History of Art would be more beneficial than Physics.

I'm talking about the same course offered over different universities.
I'm talking about the same course offered over different universities.

Tbh, no. That depends on work experience.
Tbh, no. That depends on work experience.

Work experience is separate from your degree though.
Work experience is separate from your degree though.

I'm confused, what is your question? Do you just want to be satisfied with the thought that a First at Oxbridge is better than a First a Manchester Met? Okay, it probably is. However, which candidate gets the job depends on the overall package.
I'm confused, what is your question? Do you just want to be satisfied with the thought that a First at Oxbridge is better than a First a Manchester Met? Okay, it probably is. However, which candidate gets the job depends on the overall package.

I wasn't talking about jobs, just the value of the degree itself.
I wasn't talking about jobs, just the value of the degree itself.

But is the value of the degree itself worth much if you don't get much out of it afterwards? I don't need a degree to learn stuff.
Original post by Okorange
Not when so many of their peers are handing out 1sts at lower rates. Look at King's and LSE at 23%, Durham, St Andrews, Cambridge at 22%. Edinburgh at 20%.

No school can justify a 30% 1st ratio.

Maybe it's Cambridge not giving enough firsts?

LSE has too many international students to screw the data up.
I swear TSR just likes telling people that their academic value has depreciated
Original post by clh_hilary
Maybe it's Cambridge not giving enough firsts?

LSE has too many international students to screw the data up.

Considering most people here are complaining that too many firsts and upper 2nd are being given out I think its more appropriate if those 5 universities joined the majority and award firsts at a rate of about 20%.
Original post by Okorange
Considering most people here are complaining that too many firsts and upper 2nd are being given out I think its more appropriate if those 5 universities joined the majority and award firsts at a rate of about 20%.

Norm-referencing is so last millennium.
The value of degrees seems to be diminishing...

Only in the same sense that any skill's value diminishes as it becomes more common.
Original post by WeedCanKill
A degree is no longer valuable. Almost everyone and their pet dog has one these days, to be distinguished you need a PhD at least. When 47% of the population has one, it loses value. Fact.

This is hilariously self-contradictory if we assume ordinary language. A degree cannot at one and the same time be valueless, and a PhD a signal distinction, when the latter is conditional on having the former, and thus - at least - inherits a value proportionate to the extent to which it does indeed raise one's chances of so-becoming a PhD candidate.
Original post by anarchism101
Only in the same sense that any skill's value diminishes as it becomes more common.

Yep, pretty much. No longer as rare and interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending