The Student Room Group

Am I The Only Girl Who Has NO Intention Of Working/Having A Career

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QueenOfSheba
So you're saying it's selfish to receive all the income you've worked for?

without using at least a significant part of it to help others? yes!
Original post by Guills on wheels
without using at least a significant part of it to help others? yes!

Nobody should be told what to do with the things they own. If someone is feeling benevolent, then charities exist.
Nobody should be told what to do with the things they own. If someone is feeling benevolent, then charities exist.

I own a knife. Does that mean I can go out and stab people with it, because I shouldn't be told what to do with the things I own?

but charities don't, won't and can't respond to the needs of their own parent country. They have enough on their plate.

what you're basically suggesting is a hyper-capitalistic and elitist state where the very richest will hold a monopoly on all commodities and charge as they wish, whilst the poor stay poor forever.
Original post by Coben
I'm 22 now and it's slowly dawned on me that I have no intention of working/having a career. I find most work boring and I am simply not inspired by the rat race. I think I want to be a small business owner and a stay at home mother.

It seems with feminism most women just aren't looking to go down the 'small job, husband and babies' route anymore. Am I the only one who doesn't want to work...at all ?

Maybe a small online store or something and a husband and kids. Nothing more (?)

Anyone else ?

Well it seems kinda...lazy . If you didn't want to work so you could focus on your children I'd totally understand and support you but it sounds more as if you're using any potential future children as a way to get out of working. Men who don't like working have to work so why shouldn't you?

It's also a very unreliable plan based on the assumption you'll meet a nice guy and settle down. Relationships are more complex then that. Wanting to rely on men for finance often means women get married too soon to the wrong man. It also means that women stay in an unhappy marriage for longer because they're financially dependent and end up with no employable skills if they do divorce subsequently struggling.

You don't have to go down the competetive job route but I'd honestly recommend trying to find a job you like because your life might not pan out like that and relying on a man to finance makes you quite dependent.

Also you say small business owner as if it were an easy, part time job? If by online store you meant like etsy or something, cool but you'll make peanuts; if by online store you meant your own website then in my experience small business owners have to work extremely hard to even turn a profit.

I don't blaim you for seeing this as the easy route and I guess children of rich people don't have to work but yeah it's not a great plan.
I own a knife. Does that mean I can go out and stab people with it, because I shouldn't be told what to do with the things I own?

but charities don't, won't and can't respond to the needs of their own parent country. They have enough on their plate.

what you're basically suggesting is a hyper-capitalistic and elitist state where the very richest will hold a monopoly on all commodities and charge as they wish, whilst the poor stay poor forever.

LOL WOW. That was quite a silly analogy... Of course not!!! Because no-one has the right to take anothers life.
But people DO have the right to keep what they earn! Two different things.

I'm not "suggesting" anything. I repeat again, the UAE is a tax free country. The poor do not "stay poor forever". You work - you earn.
LOL WOW. That was quite a silly analogy... Of course not!!! Because no-one has the right to take anothers life.
But people DO have the right to keep what they earn! Two different things.

I'm not "suggesting" anything. I repeat again, the UAE is a tax free country. The poor do not "stay poor forever". You work - you earn.

made sense under what you said about doing what you want with what you own.

you're suggesting that no income tax is a great thing.

the poor stay poor forever because every last thing in this country would be monetised and privatised. education would be judged on quality by how much you could pay. Stump up thirty grand a year? Go to Eton. You can only afford 500 a year? local comp with an unpaid internship for you. No decent credentials because you couldn't pay for a good education? No good work for you! All the highest paid jobs go to those at top schools! Have kids? No one from an upper class earning more money would want to have their kids with you! they need someone richer! Have kids with someone as poor as you! Have kids, can't afford to pay for a good education because you haven't got a good job and the whole process repeats itself.

You're basically proposing we transform the UK into a third world country. In a country with income tax, education is subsidised, creating more equal, but not exactly equal, opportunities for someone to achieve a position of privilege.

Your analogy is almost as ridiculous as saying that people who don't let homeless people into their homes are selfish, horrible people because living under a roof that you pay for without inviting the poor in is such an inconsiderate thing to do (!) -_-

If you want to - you're an amazing person and i'm not refuting that but it's not compulsory.
Your analogy is almost as ridiculous as saying that people who don't let homeless people into their homes are selfish, horrible people because living under a roof that you pay for without inviting the poor in is such an inconsiderate thing to do (!) -_-

If you want to - you're an amazing person and i'm not refuting that but it's not compulsory.

eh? I'm an amazing person?

as you said yourself; that would be ridiculous. it's communism, where everything is owned by everyone, and that doesn't work. However, a welfare state is fundamental to a state's social success. It is an absolute necessity in this day and age, and is only achieveable with tax.

You're basically proposing we transform the UK into a third world country. In a country with income tax, education is subsidised, creating more equal, but not exactly equal, opportunities for someone to achieve a position of privilege.

It would be lovely if you could quote just where I proposed such a plan for the UK... Because I never said such. I clearly stated several times my wish to move somewhere tax free.

So your paragraph was nice, but irrelevant.
It would be lovely if you could quote just where I proposed such a plan for the UK... Because I never said such. I clearly stated several times my wish to move somewhere tax free.

So your paragraph was nice, but irrelevant.

It's a kind of implied thing... Why would you want to move somewhere tax free when the UK could theoretically be tax free?

the same things apply anyway, so it's not irrelevant, actually.
Reply 190
please complete in 2 min and win £150 surveymonkey.com/s/5NPGQF6
Reply 191
Original post by crisns
please complete in 2 min and win £150 surveymonkey.com/s/5NPGQF6

Trolled it for you
It's a kind of implied thing... Why would you want to move somewhere tax free when the UK could theoretically be tax free?

the same things apply anyway, so it's not irrelevant, actually.

No, it's not an implied thing, nor do the same things apply, because cities like Dubai are actually economically thriving. Another example is Qatar which is actually (one of) the richest countries in the world. Also a very good standard of living over there. So no, the same things don't apply.
No, it's not an implied thing, nor do the same things apply, because cities like Dubai are actually economically thriving. Another example is Qatar which is actually (one of) the richest countries in the world. Also a very good standard of living over there. So no, the same things don't apply.

... for rich people.
Reply 194
Original post by Quady
Trolled it for you

cool
... for rich people.

You could say that about anything/anywhere.
"Las Vegas is great, for rich people" "iPhones are great.. For rich people" "Living in mansions are great.. For rich people" - well duh!

If you work for something, you'll be able to afford it. That's the way the world works.
Don't expect or demand others to give their wealth away, it's not or shouldn't be compulsory . I can't believe i'm even discussing this.

I'll conclude with this quote; "how you lay your bed, so you shall sleep in it."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jibola240
I thought the main role of women throughout history was taking care of children mostly. I didn't know anything about most of the information you provided, no need to be rude.

Sorry about the comment about 'fantasy history' but often the use of a bit of common sense would stop wrong judgments about what women have done and are capable of.

Just one example. In Tudor history we learn a lot about Henry VIII but Catherine of Aragon, his wife, only as she is divorced. Yet On the 9th September 1513, while Henry VIII was away, busy campaigning against the French, James IV and his Scottish troops crossed the border and challenged the English force, at Flodden in Northumberland.

Henry VIII had left his wife, Catherine of Aragon in charge of England as Governor of the Realm and Captain General of the Forces. She was Regent and was to manage the kingdom. Flodden was a victory for Catherine.

When you consider that her mother Isabella of Spain organised the fight back against the Muslims of Spain and was on horseback in military campaigns soon after giving birth, you can see that she was made of stern stuff.

Looking further back in time and examining important developments in our 'culture' like language, skills such as sewing, cooking ( enabling many more calories to be taken in), medicine( traditionally women's work ), and including teaching these crucial survival skills to children, is it more or less likely that these were down to women or men ? Or at least both. In times when life expectancy was low and survival on a knife edge there is an argument that the sex which was smaller and matured quicker was likely to have the advantage, ditto the sex with a greater tendency to cooperation and empathy rather than rivalry and dominance.
Be financially independent then. Invest your money on real estates or buy houses to be rented to generate money for a long period of time. This way it is easier because you don't really need to work but the cash is still coming in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, I totally agree with your choice, in fact, I wouldn't mind doing the same. My idea of a perfect weekday sounds like waking up and spending time with family, investing time in myself, hobbies etc. Not waking up at 7 AM, slaving myself off only for the government to take 40% of what I've earnt and return at 6pm in the evening.
During my childhood, my parent's both worked their asses off for me and my siblings (mum is a nurse, dad an engineer). A lot of my childhood was spent with a child minder, and not my own mother.

For this reason I feel like spending time with your family is much more valuable than spending your youth slaving off at work.
Of course, if you genuinely enjoy your job/career choice, then all of this doesn't apply to you :smile:

Or if you live in reality.
Original post by driftawaay
Or if you live in reality.

Tell that to Beyonce, Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg, Michael Jordan and all other people who make a living doing things they enjoy. Guess they live on a different planet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending