The Student Room Group

Hey, I'm Chinese. Ask me anything

post your questions here about anything related to China or Asia in general.

Scroll to see replies

Do you speak/understand Mandarin? Or a related language?
Original post by crazyplanet

Do you speak Mandarin? :h:
Do people in China really buy these knock off iPhones etc?

do you live in China??
Any tip for boosting intelligence?
Why are Chinese girls so pretty? :h::love:
Original post by Stefano93
Why are Chinese girls so pretty? :h::love:

Please answer this :tongue:

Anyway, have you heard of Lemon?
Reply 8
Do Chinese people have a major issue with Japan? I mean more than what the British have with the Germans after the war, which is mainly just a bit of grumbling and Nazi jokes.
Do you do that put your hands together and nod your head slowly as a way of greeting people?
Original post by VannR
Do Chinese people have a major issue with Japan? I mean more than what the British have with the Germans after the war, which is mainly just a bit of grumbling and Nazi jokes.

I'd like to know this for North Korea too.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Do you speak/understand Mandarin? Or a related language?

I like in Hong Kong so I'm fluent in Cantonese but I can still speak and understand Mandarin though I'm not as good.

It really depends where you live in China because the country is huge so there are so many different dialects. eg Shanghai dialect, Beijing dialect etc.

I think Cantonese can be counted as a language since if two Chinese people meet; one can only speak Cantonese and the other can only speak Mandarin, chances are, they wouldn't be able to communicate. However, the written language is the same.
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Do you speak Mandarin? :h:

Yes but it takes some time for me to think about what I'm trying to say :biggrin:
Original post by somemightsay888
Do people in China really buy these knock off iPhones etc?

I'm not too sure because I don't really live in China but when I was in Hong Kong there are tons of news that says that fake iPhones, fake shampoo etc are made.

There are some extreme cases I heard that there are fake baby milk powder that contained a lot of harmful chemicals. This lead to babies/really young kids have kidney stones.
Original post by bad_username
do you live in China??

Nope. I used to live in Hong Kong which you can't really call China. It's weird, I know and it's also kinda difficult to explain but I'll give it a try.

1. Hong Kong used to be part of the British Empire until 1997. Maybe this is why Hong Kong is considered to be quite westernized.
2. The city is classed as an SAR (special administration region)
3. Hong Kong has it's own currency, flag and a separate government- the prime minister is called a chief executive.
4. Hong Kong uses the same laws in England (English common law) so it's not communist like China.
5. There is no one-child policy whatsoever.
6. To get from China to Hong Kong, you have to go through immigration.

I can't really think of any other reasons now. However, I've moved to England.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Any tip for boosting intelligence?

Practice, practice, practice.

The kids there start doing a lot of revising and learning stuff at a really young age. Not something I totally agree with.
Original post by pinkteddyx64
Do you do that put your hands together and nod your head slowly as a way of greeting people?

Nope.
Practice, practice, practice.

The kids there start doing a lot of revising and learning stuff at a really young age. Not something I totally agree with.

Not sure I entirely agree on that either, but a good education early on sets a good foundation to build on. Diet, exercise, hobbies etc can be just as valuable.
Original post by VannR

I think there are less major issues between China and Japan as the younger Chinese generation are more accepting towards Japanese culture eg anime and sushi etc.

But, I think there are some older generation people that may hold grudges.
Have you been to Singapore?

Quick Reply

Latest