The Student Room Group

Work experience at a primary school

Hello everyone...
This is the first time I actually use The Student Room so I hope I've done this correctly. I'm in year 10 and I'm having my work experience at a primary school, not exactly the place I wanted to but it was chosen by the Work Experience Partners and was the only thing available. I hate kids, there are enough kids in the family let alone having to go to a primary school. So I'm not looking forward to this at all. I just want to know what to expect, a week full of enjoyment or boredom? U start from 8:30 am and that's really the main drawback, iv been longing for me to go on work experience since like year 7 and that's what I get! The only benefit from going to this school is that id be in the same area as my friends who are working at an anticlines and stuff so I was thinking if sone one could highlight me on what someone would generally do on a work experience at a primary school and what the 'unsupervised lunch break' means so am I allowed to leave the school premises to dine outside ( obviously returning to school once the break is over) and if everyone's lunch break is around the same time, like if I was at a primary school would my friend at an opticians have his break around the same time as myself? Please, I'm in need of someone to convince me to go!
Thanks!
if you hate kids then you probably wont have a great week but as far as work experience goes I would say it's a good one as there's plenty to do that wont involve spending the week next to a photocopier

they will probably place you in a class and you might help the teacher with various things, in a younger class you'll just play with the kids, in older classes you might help kids with their work, hand out sheets, do wall displays etc

in theory you should be allowed out during your lunch break however I'd bear in mind the impression it will give, you might have a much better experience if you help out in the playground or sit in the staff room with other staff and chat to them

your lunch will be the same time every day however there is no guarantee at all when your friend's break will be or that he will have any say at all
Original post by doodle_333
if you hate kids then you probably wont have a great week but as far as work experience goes I would say it's a good one as there's plenty to do that wont involve spending the week next to a photocopier

they will probably place you in a class and you might help the teacher with various things, in a younger class you'll just play with the kids, in older classes you might help kids with their work, hand out sheets, do wall displays etc

in theory you should be allowed out during your lunch break however I'd bear in mind the impression it will give, you might have a much better experience if you help out in the playground or sit in the staff room with other staff and chat to them

your lunch will be the same time every day however there is no guarantee at all when your friend's break will be or that he will have any say at all

I agree.
Reply 3
I always thought that I hated kids until i actually went along to help.. When you get them running up to you every week it can really change your mind. And also just remember - you are their future; you are making them who they are in 20 years. Thoroughly worth it.
I got placed in a a primary school Reception class for year 10 work experience and I was really dreading it and thought I'd hate the kids.However,I ended up enjoying it the kids were happy to talk to you and show you what they were doing.
Plus,mine was on the last week of term so they just played all week which means that's all you do too!When I got to talk to others about their work experience the people in nurserys liked theirs. However generally the ones in shops and some businesses didn't like theirs as they didn't have much to do. Anyway if you don't like it it's only for a short period of time and you can cross off potentially working with children in the future.
Reply 5
Thank you everyone!!! And you all turned out to be right, it didn't turn out to be a total bust and I enjoyed working with the children. In comparison with my friends' work experiences I was definitely grateful that I was put into a primary school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi, in a couple of weeks I am starting my work experience at my old Primary School. Are there any tips that you may have? Also, you mentioned lunch times, should I bring in something to eat? Thanks.
Original post by Matthew00
Hi, in a couple of weeks I am starting my work experience at my old Primary School. Are there any tips that you may have? Also, you mentioned lunch times, should I bring in something to eat? Thanks.

Yeah, id take a packed lunch in.
There might be the opportunity to have a hot dinner (teachers sometimes have hot dinners) but i wouldnt bank on it and its safer to take a packed lunch, then on the off chance you are offered hot dinners when you get there, then you can make your mind up from there.
My biggest tip is to just be friendly and willing to do help out and do a bit of everything.
The fact that its your old primary school is probably a good thing, as you might recognise a few of the teachers and other staff from when you went there (i bet a some are still there). And you will also know your way around.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah, id take a packed lunch in.
There might be the opportunity to have a hot dinner (teachers sometimes have hot dinners) but i wouldnt bank on it and its safer to take a packed lunch, then on the off chance you are offered hot dinners when you get there, then you can make your mind up from there.
My biggest tip is to just be friendly and willing to do help out and do a bit of everything.
The fact that its your old primary school is probably a good thing, as you might recognise a few of the teachers and other staff from when you went there (i bet a some are still there). And you will also know your way around.

Alright, thanks a lot!
P.S: What did you carry your lunch in, I mean, did you just take your normal school bag?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Matthew00
Alright, thanks a lot!
P.S: What did you carry your lunch in, I mean, did you just take your normal school bag?

Yeah, take your dinnner in your normal bag you will be taking to school that week.
Reply 10
If you're a guy, were you at any point treated like you had bad intentions towards the kids?
Reply 11
Original post by Soosoo01
Hello everyone...
This is the first time I actually use The Student Room so I hope I've done this correctly. I'm in year 10 and I'm having my work experience at a primary school, not exactly the place I wanted to but it was chosen by the Work Experience Partners and was the only thing available. I hate kids, there are enough kids in the family let alone having to go to a primary school. So I'm not looking forward to this at all. I just want to know what to expect, a week full of enjoyment or boredom? U start from 8:30 am and that's really the main drawback, iv been longing for me to go on work experience since like year 7 and that's what I get! The only benefit from going to this school is that id be in the same area as my friends who are working at an anticlines and stuff so I was thinking if sone one could highlight me on what someone would generally do on a work experience at a primary school and what the 'unsupervised lunch break' means so am I allowed to leave the school premises to dine outside ( obviously returning to school once the break is over) and if everyone's lunch break is around the same time, like if I was at a primary school would my friend at an opticians have his break around the same time as myself? Please, I'm in need of someone to convince me to go!
Thanks!

i have done 2 weeks work experience at a primary school (1 in yr 10 and 1 in yr 12). I don't mind kids and i chose to do work experience there but it isn't so bad. some days were better than others, you are basically another helper in the classroom along side the main teacher, listening to kids reading is rather easy and not bad as you generally find they are concentrating too much to get distracted by other things around them (which sometimes happens with other tasks). i also spent a whole day tidying out the book corner which was good cause i was able to work at my own pace and i rather enjoyed organising it all. in yr 12 i got to go on a field trip which basically meant a free day at the beach so its not all that bad. yes the kids can be annoying but you get some who are really sweet. on my last day in yr 12 i had a few kids who really didn't me to go and i got a present from one of them :rolleyes:
one thing that does help is that on your first day, ask your supervisor if you can work with a particular age group more often, i chose to work with the yr 5's and yr 6's most often as i found they were more mature and easier to work with.
Hi I am looking for work experience for 1 week on 20th November is it possible that I do it there with one of my friend
Reply 13
Original post by doodle_333

Hey my problem is different to u lot but I hope u could help . I'm in year 10 and I have to find work experience in 3weeks. I have tried many places and primary schools were my first option. None of the schools are accepting and I don't know what to do could you tell me places where they definitely do it or just schools I could try thank you
how did you apply for work experience at a primary school? Did you email or call?
Original post by rsuresh123
how did you apply for work experience at a primary school? Did you email or call?

I actually got my mum to organise everything 😂
All had to do was turn up on the day despite them saying I wud need to come in so they cud see if I was suitable to work with them etc

Just call them and ask if u wud be able to do work experience there and see how it goes
Reply 16
I’m doing the exact same rn and using this for information. I’m about to walk into the school in about a minute so wish me luck
Reply 17
Original post by arzo.1
Hey my problem is different to u lot but I hope u could help . I'm in year 10 and I have to find work experience in 3weeks. I have tried many places and primary schools were my first option. None of the schools are accepting and I don't know what to do could you tell me places where they definitely do it or just schools I could try thank you
I emailed 14 different ones and 2 came back positively so keep on trying...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending