The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

literacy and numeracy test for Nursing at London South Bank and Middlesex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucyc87
Oh no!! That's awful, I'm sure U did fine :smile: that's such a long time to wait!! im surprised he didn't want to go home? I've no idea how long I was in there for, they said we'd find out in 1-2 weeks, im so nervous about hearing :/

I got the impression he didn't speak to a lot of people in his day to day life so he was probably just a bit happy to be out. He's smart though, I'll be all up in his game come the group work, it's always handy to have an engineer on the team :smile: I was surprisingly emotional once I got home, possibly because my blood sugar was like 1, I checked my email and there was a message from UCAS there. I started freaking out, thinking I screwed it all up, or I was in, I was very confused, I checked it out with great trepidation, it was an interview day for LSBU :smile: Great news but not the best it could have been. I have NO patience!
London
Reply 41
Original post by pollyabu
I got the impression he didn't speak to a lot of people in his day to day life so he was probably just a bit happy to be out. He's smart though, I'll be all up in his game come the group work, it's always handy to have an engineer on the team :smile: I was surprisingly emotional once I got home, possibly because my blood sugar was like 1, I checked my email and there was a message from UCAS there. I started freaking out, thinking I screwed it all up, or I was in, I was very confused, I checked it out with great trepidation, it was an interview day for LSBU :smile: Great news but not the best it could have been. I have NO patience!

Ah bless him, he was very helpful. Oh were you? It was a long wait and really stressful. I know! My stomach goes every time my email goes off :/ scared to check all the time. My friend heard from lsbu today, it's for a 'audition' on Wednesday.

Be patient :smile:
Original post by Lucyc87
Ah bless him, he was very helpful. Oh were you? It was a long wait and really stressful. I know! My stomach goes every time my email goes off :/ scared to check all the time. My friend heard from lsbu today, it's for a 'audition' on Wednesday.

Be patient :smile:

For Nursing? I would have brought my tap shoes if I'd know :biggrin:
Reply 43
For Nursing? I would have brought my tap shoes if I'd know :biggrin:

Yeh for nursing, she did a online test which she passed and got the invite today. The email said it was the final process, so I'm not sure what it entails. Maybe she should take her own scrubs or something and prepare a little dance :smile:
Reply 44
Hahaha yeah :smile: she should bring in a general ill person off the street and ask them some uncomfortable questions in a concerned voice, then ask someone else to bring them a cup of tea within the next 4 hours :smile: Good God I hope nobody from the selection committee isn't trolling this :biggrin:

Oh gosh don't say that :/
Reply 45
Guys, could you please share what topics for literacy (essay) part LSBU has this year. Thank you.
Original post by mariam80
Guys, could you please share what topics for literacy (essay) part LSBU has this year. Thank you.

I can't remember to be honest, but I dont think it matters what the topic is you dont need to prepare in advance for the english you get given an article to read and then have to awnser questions about it. I think there is also an a short essay question but its quite vague so you can taylor it to what you know and its more about how you write rather than what you write. There are practise test on this :https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/how-to-apply/guidance-for-health-pre-registration page for the literacy aswell as the maths.
Reply 47
Believe in yourself girl. You will make it going next week
I think it was about a refugees right to free health care last year, I went for 3 different ones but I'm sure this was LSBU's one.
It doesn't really matter what the subject was, just so long as you are able to plan an argument and execute the piece without spelling mistakes and good punctuation. Critical thinking skills is what they are looking for x
Reply 50
I did a English and maths test at London south bank and I haven't got my results back yet I'm getting scared and worried what if they reject me :frown:
Reply 51
Hey guys, I have a maths & eng test for London South bank and my maths isn't too great... what were the main points of the test ?!
Good luck with all your interviews !!!
Original post by Minsx
Hey guys, I have a maths & eng test for London South bank and my maths isn't too great... what were the main points of the test ?!
Good luck with all your interviews !!!

Hi I've got a math and english test at southbank on the 20th, I'm really nervous about the maths aswell. I would suggest using GCSE bitesize. if you have access to mathwatch then that would also be very helpful aswell. just put some time aside over the weekend, and study somewhere quiet, library etc. make a checklist of all the topics that may come up, and once you're confident with each topic, tick them off your checklist one by one . do alot of mental calculations to refresh your mind, the easier you find it the more quicker you're likely to be during the test. so that saves alot of time. Make sure to take breaks during revision. Good luck with all your tests and interviews !
Reply 53
Original post by weepingwillows
Hi I've got a math and english test at southbank on the 20th, I'm really nervous about the maths aswell. I would suggest using GCSE bitesize. if you have access to mathwatch then that would also be very helpful aswell. just put some time aside over the weekend, and study somewhere quiet, library etc. make a checklist of all the topics that may come up, and once you're confident with each topic, tick them off your checklist one by one . do alot of mental calculations to refresh your mind, the easier you find it the more quicker you're likely to be during the test. so that saves alot of time. Make sure to take breaks during revision. Good luck with all your tests and interviews !

What course is your interview / tests for? Thank you, I'll look at bite size defiantly! Let me know how yours goes!
Reply 54
Hahaha they forgot me!! I was there until 1pm with another guy, I was STARVING and the guy that was chatting to us after his interview? He stayed talking at me the whole time!!! He was lovely, bless him, but I was tired, hungry, and really nervous and I had to keep chatting with him because he would't go home. My brain and jaw hurt, so I just got up at one stage and said, "I need to stand over here now for a bit" and he started chatting to the other forgotten dude. It was horrendous, by the time it was my interview it was 16 mins long (I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but we had a little laugh and joke) I was so hungry I couldn't think straight really and I actually told them that they had turned into giant talking sandwiches. I really can't call it. I had the lady that was in the middle room. She seemed strict but nice at the end :smile:

Hello, how long does the numeracy and literacy interview last at LSB? Is there any other test to prepare for on the day or its just numeracy and literacy ? Are the tests hard? What's the pass mark for numeracy? I have asked coz have an interview on 20th Jan.....guidance please
Original post by GKT
Hello, how long does the numeracy and literacy interview last at LSB? Is there any other test to prepare for on the day or its just numeracy and literacy ? Are the tests hard? What's the pass mark for numeracy? I have asked coz have an interview on 20th Jan.....guidance please

Just literacy and numeracy. There shouldn't be an interview as well they only do the interview the same day as the tests if you live 100 miles away. Pass mark for literacy I think was 3/5 :tongue: They didn't seem hard to me but I had my tests on the 9th of December and still haven't heard anything.
Reply 56
Original post by harinimnida
Just literacy and numeracy. There shouldn't be an interview as well they only do the interview the same day as the tests if you live 100 miles away. Pass mark for literacy I think was 3/5 :tongue: They didn't seem hard to me but I had my tests on the 9th of December and still haven't heard anything.

Thank you so much for your response...I live quite far. Should I request that I have my other interviews same day as well? How about pass mark for numeracy
Original post by GKT
Thank you so much for your response...I live quite far. Should I request that I have my other interviews same day as well? How about pass mark for numeracy

Yeah you can always ask them, admissions are friendly :smile: The pass mark for maths is in said on their practice paper I think it's about 6 or 7 out of 10.
Original post by babyshawte
I didn't pass the southbank test and I'm actually glad, because I think what they did was awful and humiliating.

I got an offer from Middlesex yesterday though :biggrin:! It's such a wonderful uni and the staff are actually kind to people.

The middlesex practice paper is similar to the real exam. They just add different questions on the same topics. Plus, you get a calculator which is even better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hate to bump an old thread but what did they do/say that was humiliating?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Hate to bump an old thread but what did they do/say that was humiliating?

I think it may be in regard to how they said if you passed or failed once you had done them in front of people who also had taken the exam but I'm not sure.

All I know is that they don't tell you straight away now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending