The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenuinemisspelt
I got 9A*s and 2 As at GCSE. :smile: Yeah that's no problem, so long as you don't quote from it though they may keep personal statements on a system and do plagiarism checks on it, better safe than sorry! :P I'll PM it to you! And I can personally say Classics is AWESOME, quite intense language classes but so rewarding and interesting. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do they look for most on the application? grades or the actual statement? Submitted my application today...
Original post by alexinorris
Thank you for the help!
I'm a little bit worried because my GCSE results are devastating compared to yours (1A,2B,5C) but I thought I might as well applying because my a level predictions are AAA xx

Hey I have applied too and my grades aren't full of A*, I know how you feel! you thinking about applying to Oxford this year?
Id rather not go into general course statistics as we have found that it sways students decisions and they apply for courses they have limited interest in. Medicine is the exception to that rule though since its our most competitive course by a big margin and we are actively trying to get students to consider similar courses available.
Sent my application for biomedicine or biochemistry but my grades are much lower than those of people usually admitted! 5 A*'s and 5 A's:frown: strange the application never asked for predicted AS grades either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyon know how you write half GCSEs into the form? I have 3 half GCSEs, but the only option on the form is GCSE, and I've tried writing them underneath in the box and putting 3 "Other - Not Specified"s, but the page won't go through because it says that i have duplicate subjects? Do I just fit them in as full GCSEs or what?
Original post by Charlie1o5
What do they look for most on the application? grades or the actual statement? Submitted my application today...

I'm not really part of the admissions team so I can't really say. But your GCSE grades are considered in terms of your school's general achievement. So if you've got 1 or 2 A*s but that was highest in your year, then that's going to go in your favour for your application. The statement is more you showing a passion and an interest beyond your grades in your chosen subject, and that you'd enjoy studying it at the school and perhaps at uni.
So in short, grades show your ability to work and study hard, while the personal statement shows you really love your subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caitlin.thomas98
Does anyon know how you write half GCSEs into the form? I have 3 half GCSEs, but the only option on the form is GCSE, and I've tried writing them underneath in the box and putting 3 "Other - Not Specified"s, but the page won't go through because it says that i have duplicate subjects? Do I just fit them in as full GCSEs or what?

I'm pretty sure I just put 'Short Course' into the title of my GCSE for a half one, but emailing the admissions team and asking them would be your safest option. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so stressed out by this application. Literally everyone I've shown my personal statement to has said completely different things and I haven't got a clue who's right. I feel that there's so much undue attention placed on the minutiae of the PS - I've had discussions with people over the use of a single comma, whether to use 'nearly' or 'almost', whether to write 'mathematics' or 'maths', whether to capitalise 'summer school', whether I use single spaces or double spaces, whether to write 'STEP I' or 'STEP 1' - I'm nearly at the end of my tether. This isn't even the real thing...
I'm pretty sure I just put 'Short Course' into the title of my GCSE for a half one, but emailing the admissions team and asking them would be your safest option. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh ok thank you!
Original post by Krollo
I'm so stressed out by this application. Literally everyone I've shown my personal statement to has said completely different things and I haven't got a clue who's right. I feel that there's so much undue attention placed on the minutiae of the PS - I've had discussions with people over the use of a single comma, whether to use 'nearly' or 'almost', whether to write 'mathematics' or 'maths', whether to capitalise 'summer school', whether I use single spaces or double spaces, whether to write 'STEP I' or 'STEP 1' - I'm nearly at the end of my tether. This isn't even the real thing...

Don't stress!! The admissions team know you have a tight limit and that you've probably never written a PS before. So just focus on making it concise and don't worry about 'sounding smart' or that they'll turn you down for using 'simple language'. If you can get your point across clearly in a small number of characters rather than use unnecessarily long words or phrases, then always go for the shorter option.
So my advice is, if you can say something in fewer characters, go for that and don't worry about it sounding too simple. There's no reason to write 'mathematics' instead of 'maths', honestly. :smile:
As for capitalising summer school or STEP I/1, that's really up to personal preference but I don't think it'll have a major bearing on your application. :smile: And go for whatever spacing that takes up as little as your character limit as possible - you need that room to talk about your subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't stress!! The admissions team know you have a tight limit and that you've probably never written a PS before. So just focus on making it concise and don't worry about 'sounding smart' or that they'll turn you down for using 'simple language'. If you can get your point across clearly in a small number of characters rather than use unnecessarily long words or phrases, then always go for the shorter option.
So my advice is, if you can say something in fewer characters, go for that and don't worry about it sounding too simple. There's no reason to write 'mathematics' instead of 'maths', honestly. :smile:
As for capitalising summer school or STEP I/1, that's really up to personal preference but I don't think it'll have a major bearing on your application. :smile: And go for whatever spacing that takes up as little as your character limit as possible - you need that room to talk about your subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! I think I've just about got it finished, I'm going to send off my application tonight. I know that (especially for maths) such trifles as this aren't going to be the be all and end all, but I'm more than a bit of a perfectionist! :colondollar:
Application in! And now I wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Application in! And now I wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck :smile:

I remember when I did this :moon:
I've just sent mine off, I'm so worried that I've done the thing of trying to sound too smart on my personal statement, and asking my very eloquent English Language class to check over it didn't really help! I've applied for the gender & identity history course and I'm still a little bit worried that I've written too much on the 'being a woman in a world full of men' element of history.
My only other worry is I got some of the highest results for my school at GCSE (6 A*s, 2 As, 2 Bs), but I'm at a different school for sixth form and their results are much higher generally, does anyone know which school's results will be focused on?
I've been loathe to ask my teachers, the TA in my mentor group said that she did a literature summer school at Cambridge, she said it was one of the best experiences in her life but it terrified her from actually applying for an Oxbridge university!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by longlostlemming
I've just sent mine off, I'm so worried that I've done the thing of trying to sound too smart on my personal statement, and asking my very eloquent English Language class to check over it didn't really help! I've applied for the gender & identity history course and I'm still a little bit worried that I've written too much on the 'being a woman in a world full of men' element of history.
My only other worry is I got some of the highest results for my school at GCSE (6 A*s, 2 As, 2 Bs), but I'm at a different school for sixth form and their results are much higher generally, does anyone know which school's results will be focussed on?

They look at the school where you did your GCSEs.
Original post by economicsrocks
They look at the school where you did your GCSEs.

Thank you, if that gives me even the slightest bit of a chance against all of these people with incredible results I'll take it.
Original post by longlostlemming
Thank you, if that gives me even the slightest bit of a chance against all of these people with incredible results I'll take it.

Your results are strong so don't worry! I attended UNIQ last year and you have above average results :smile:
This has made me really sad, because I only found out about this from a friend LAST WEEK! I definitely won't get in, my personal statement is 1.5 hours worth of CRAP and I don't know how to make it better :frown:
Original post by TheMDog
This has made me really sad, because I only found out about this from a friend LAST WEEK! I definitely won't get in, my personal statement is 1.5 hours worth of CRAP and I don't know how to make it better :frown:

You can't say you definitely won't get in, you've always got a chance and the deadline isn't for another few days yet :smile:
What are you hoping to apply for, and what are your stats(grades and subjects)?
That may be a good place to start :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Hi I am applying for the Law UNIQ Summer school this year and I have done a final draft of my personal statement but was wondering if anyone could send an example of theirs, regardless of the subject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending