The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham 2015 Entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EMassey
The Chancellor of the uni is also the CEO of GSK.

Guess Nott graduates are a top option for GSK:smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by trubadur
Guess Nott graduates are a top option for GSK:smile:

I've seen Bangor graduates get management jobs at GSK. Things aren't all what they seem.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
I've seen Bangor graduates get management jobs at GSK. Things aren't all what they seem.

You are really very well informed:wink:
I thought he was former CEO of GSK?

Nope :smile: very much the current one, he's been CEO since 2008.

http://www.gsk.com/en-gb/about-us/board-of-directors/sir-andrew-witty/
Original post by mrkl

Nottingham's Innovation Park seems to be attracting top science and engineering businesses to set themselves up there. When the park is finally complete, surely it will be the most advanced of it's kind in the world. I doubt if there is any university that can compete with Nottingham for assets and investment at present. Gradually becoming the first ''Super University''.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 985
Nottingham's Innovation Park seems to be attracting top science and engineering businesses to set themselves up there. When the park is finally complete, surely it will be the most advanced of it's kind in the world. I doubt if there is any university that can compete with Nottingham for assets and investment at present. Gradually becoming the first ''Super University''.

Get off your high horse super my aass. No top uni has global branches in 3rd tier cities
Original post by mrkl
Get off your high horse super my aass. No top uni has global branches in 3rd tier cities

Nottingham is developing new sites and projects left right and centre, and with the CEO of GSK as their Chancellor, they are simply leaving everyone else behind. Only Manchester, UCL and Imperial have plans to match Nottingham's spending on developments in the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 987
How flexible and tolerant is Nottingham in changing courses in the first few weeks of an academic year?

Was thinking of changing from Computer Science to Chemistry perhaps?
Reply 988
Nottingham is developing new sites and projects left right and centre, and with the CEO of GSK as their Chancellor, they are simply leaving everyone else behind. Only Manchester, UCL and Imperial have plans to match Nottingham's spending on developments in the UK.

2nd tier post war uni. End of , get over it
Original post by mrkl

What is second tier? Warwick is a post-war university?
Original post by Akbar1
How flexible and tolerant is Nottingham in changing courses in the first few weeks of an academic year?

Was thinking of changing from Computer Science to Chemistry perhaps?

Within the first 2-3 weeks they are flexible.
Original post by mrkl

Nottingham - China - Malaysia = UK's global university :biggrin:.
Reply 992
Nottingham - China - Malaysia = UK's global university :biggrin:.

you ning poo and a 3rd world country ? global my ass, more like desperate.:biggrin:
Original post by mrkl
you ning poo and a 3rd world country ? global my ass, more like desperate.:biggrin:

A New World Order of universities, integrating the World's best businesses on campus, and building developments overseas to spread their power across the World. This is just the start, Nottingham will have a footprint in every continent in the future, they have recently entered the USA with a partnership with Birmingham. They are running the university like an entrepreneurial institutional empire, doing things that others can only dream of, and building more income streams in order to be self sufficient and challenge the cash-rich Ivy league universities in coming years.

Without more funding, minnows Durham and St Andrews are in trouble in future years.
(edited 9 years ago)
999th post.
1000th post :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Exceptional
999th post.

Is there a danger Nottingham could be getting too big and powerful across the globe? Certainly if they built another two campuses elsewhere, they would have a monopoly developing.
Original post by mrkl

Original post by mrkl

It may have been given a Royal Charter post WW2 but it's been awarding degrees since the 19th century.

Also Ningbo is a city which is only slightly smaller than London which exceptional trade links. It also is home to one of the world's busiest ports.
Furthermore I'll forget how outdated your country categorisation is, however Malaysia has the world's 29th largest economy with a GDP growing at a rate of 6.5% a year until 2005.

If you're going to insult the university at least use facts.
Is there a danger Nottingham could be getting too big and powerful across the globe? Certainly if they built another two campuses elsewhere, they would have a monopoly developing.

Given that a monopoly is defined as having 25% of the market share, another couple of campuses aren't going to do that, given there's over 22,000 institutes of higher education.

I think Nottingham is a lovely university and additional campuses, particularly in America or Europe would help in a plethora of ways. I don't think it's a super powered force of dominating the universe.
Original post by Exceptional
Given that a monopoly is defined as having 25% of the market share, another couple of campuses aren't going to do that, given there's over 22,000 institutes of higher education.

I think Nottingham is a lovely university and additional campuses, particularly in America or Europe would help in a plethora of ways. I don't think it's a super powered force of dominating the universe.

That depends on how far they go with their expansion plans. At present they have been in full throttle with developments and new ideas for the UK campuses. Never thought leading companies would set their HQ on campus for one, and GSK funding building projects for two, and the GSK CEO running the university for three. Who knows, they may get Microsoft on board next!

As for new campuses abroad, they were looking at Shanghai a few years back, not sure if that will go ahead. I'd be surprised if they didn't go for more developments, they are really leading the way as a global university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending