The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by wilfred87
Yep, not sure how all the deferred places worked in the past. Suppose it doesn't really matter as it doesn't really affect us.

On a different note I am surprised that I even made the waiting list. I asked myself after the interview if i felt like I had performed well enough to be in the top half of interviewees and I gave myself an honest answer of no.

I suppose I am a bit of pessimist, though i prefer to think of it as being a realist. I just really don't feel like my performance could have been better than another 130 or so people interviewed. Sorry I know that might sound a bit insensitive to those who have been rejected, I think it is more of a reflection of my own expectations of myself and is probably just unrealistic.

It's really odd cos I feel really happy that I am so close, which means I probably am good enough to get through this process (eventually). Then on the other hand anxious that i felt i performed better at St George's than at Swansea which makes me think Swansea isn't likely to pan out and I might not get a place at St George's either.

I keep to'ing and fro'ing from one emotion to the next and it's making me feel weird. Got to think positive though, I met at least a couple of people whose first choice wasn't St George's with interviews elsewhere and they seemed like strong candidates.

eerily similar thought process...
Yep, not sure how all the deferred places worked in the past. Suppose it doesn't really matter as it doesn't really affect us.

On a different note I am surprised that I even made the waiting list. I asked myself after the interview if i felt like I had performed well enough to be in the top half of interviewees and I gave myself an honest answer of no.

I suppose I am a bit of pessimist, though i prefer to think of it as being a realist. I just really don't feel like my performance could have been better than another 130 or so people interviewed. Sorry I know that might sound a bit insensitive to those who have been rejected, I think it is more of a reflection of my own expectations of myself and is probably just unrealistic.

It's really odd cos I feel really happy that I am so close, which means I probably am good enough to get through this process (eventually). Then on the other hand anxious that i felt i performed better at St George's than at Swansea which makes me think Swansea isn't likely to pan out and I might not get a place at St George's either.

I keep to'ing and fro'ing from one emotion to the next and it's making me feel weird. Got to think positive though, I met at least a couple of people whose first choice wasn't St George's with interviews elsewhere and they seemed like strong candidates.

See you say that, but it's the same with the applications and being shortlisted for interview - there are so many people applying but my *god*, some of them are applying with three C's and Bs and Cs at GCSE, with no real work experience and wondering why they get knocked back. Bare in mind that the GAMSAT curve goes down to 34? Something like that.

Sorry if that sounds harsh to the peeps that were rejected, but to be honest, I think to get through to interview you had to be of a high standard, so you're actually just missing the mark, you're not far off.

You and I must have the same interview score (that seems to be how they're doing it), which means that yeah, I felt my interview was mediocre as well. I'm thinking that there must have been some high, high flyers there, though.
Reply 302

Well, if it's any reassurance, I've had three interviews and I thought my St George's interview was - by a decent stretch - my best interview, but it was the only one not to make me an offer. (and one of the others was king's GEM)

It may be that I'm hopeless at judging my own performance, but I also think the unis are looking for different things. So don't give up hope on Swansea!
Reply 303
I have received an email about an offer holder open day but no actual offer email. Is anyone else in the same position? I'm terrified they have made a mistake!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So a question to those on the waiting list. If you receive an offer elsewhere will you accept or are you willing to hold out to the grim end?! I only ask because Georges and Notts are my only 4 year options and I may have to sell a kidney if I have to pay for 4 years of tuition fees.
Original post by dangeroux
So a question to those on the waiting list. If you receive an offer elsewhere will you accept or are you willing to hold out to the grim end?! I only ask because Georges and Notts are my only 4 year options and I may have to sell a kidney if I have to pay for 4 years of tuition fees.

Were you wait listed too? What was your gamsat if you don't mind me asking?
I think it would depend..I'd like to keep my options open (as would most people I expect) and I would really like to be in London. I would imagine if you get offered a place from the waiting list you have an amount of pressure put on you to make your mind up as there are so many people waiting.

If I got a place elsewhere I would weigh up the pros and cons and think about my options, wouldn't want to rush into it obviously as it is the next four years of your life, but I imagine the chances of getting a place from the waiting list aren't especially high anyway unless your gamsat is great ie you're at the top of the list
Yes on the waiting list. I got 69 in GAMSAT. George's has been my preferred option all through the process so I don't really have any option but to hold out and hope.
Yes on the waiting list. I got 69 in GAMSAT. George's has been my preferred option all through the process so I don't really have any option but to hold out and hope.

Right, so this is the problem for me - you and I both have 69, so who's above and who's below?

Maybe we can do it by GAMSAT breakdown?
I'm getting bogged down in research about the waiting list now. What I'm finding is confusing me:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/197665/response/556700/attach/3/FOI2014%202015%20011.pdf - says there was no waiting list last year, yes?

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/st-georges-university-london/61875-st-georges-2014-gep-hopeful-7.html - halfway down, someone says that they were on the waiting list, then got a place in April. So, is it rubbish? Otherwise, April was a good time to find out.

I'm going to take a step back, I'm obsessing now.
Reply 309
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
I'm getting bogged down in research about the waiting list now. What I'm finding is confusing me:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/197665/response/556700/attach/3/FOI2014%202015%20011.pdf - says there was no waiting list last year, yes?

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/st-georges-university-london/61875-st-georges-2014-gep-hopeful-7.html - halfway down, someone says that they were on the waiting list, then got a place in April. So, is it rubbish? Otherwise, April was a good time to find out.

I'm going to take a step back, I'm obsessing now.

I wonder if they simply don't have a formal wait list.

50-60 places and 67 offers made...
Original post by Zorg
I wonder if they simply don't have a formal wait list.

50-60 places and 67 offers made...

Well they must do - it's the next 'bracket' down, and it's arranged by GAMSAT so it must exist.
70+65+(71x2) = 277

Divided by four = 69.25 to be exact, you?
70+65+(71x2) = 277

Divided by four = 69.25 to be exact, you?

63 + 76 + 67 = double weighted is 68.25 so goes down, single is 68.66 and goes up.

Funny, if it's single weight, we have the same mark, if it's double, you'll go up and I'll go down.

So my theory is you're ahead of me on the WL! That's my hypothesis - let's hope we both get to prove it!
Wow. You write a good essay! Humanities graduate?
Wow. You write a good essay! Humanities graduate?

No, actually, just happen to be good at it, did politics and classics back in school. Helped me out! I thought I'd completely screwed it up, I was in tears at the end of the first essay, I thought I'd ruined my chances.

I'm a bit put out by Part 1, though; it's usually my best (I got 78 in it last year), but I had a panic attack in the hall and had to calm myself down for a good 5-10 minutes then rush through.
Reply 315
Good luck to all on waiting list - will be updating the first post to reflect the change in direction the thread will be taking (I.e. Now a waiting list thread)!
Reply 316
Original post by ceciafb
congrats! are you holding out for swansea?

Heya Cecia,

Thank you! Yes I'm still holding out for other offers, a place at SGUL is fantastic but for financial and personal reasons I would accept an offer from any of my other 3 options over this one. Still waiting for Swansea and my interviews for Warwick and Notts are the end of March/start of April so with any luck I'll get another offer and free up a space for someone on the waiting list.

Congrats on the waiting list offer though, still a huge achievement when you think about how many people we've all been competing against. And a few years ago they gave a place to everyone on the waiting list so I wouldn't say your chances are too low anyway. I suspect that there are a bunch of graduates who would turn down SGUL if they got an offer elsewhere because of the cost of living in London.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
See you say that, but it's the same with the applications and being shortlisted for interview - there are so many people applying but my *god*, some of them are applying with three C's and Bs and Cs at GCSE, with no real work experience and wondering why they get knocked back. Bare in mind that the GAMSAT curve goes down to 34? Something like that.

Sorry if that sounds harsh to the peeps that were rejected, but to be honest, I think to get through to interview you had to be of a high standard, so you're actually just missing the mark, you're not far off.

You and I must have the same interview score (that seems to be how they're doing it), which means that yeah, I felt my interview was mediocre as well. I'm thinking that there must have been some high, high flyers there, though.

Hey, i'm one of those with b's and c's at GCSE level! Pretty good for my 16 seconds of revision....:tongue:
Original post by M150
Heya Cecia,

Thank you! Yes I'm still holding out for other offers, a place at SGUL is fantastic but for financial and personal reasons I would accept an offer from any of my other 3 options over this one. Still waiting for Swansea and my interviews for Warwick and Notts are the end of March/start of April so with any luck I'll get another offer and free up a space for someone on the waiting list.

Congrats on the waiting list offer though, still a huge achievement when you think about how many people we've all been competing against. And a few years ago they gave a place to everyone on the waiting list so I wouldn't say your chances are too low anyway. I suspect that there are a bunch of graduates who would turn down SGUL if they got an offer elsewhere because of the cost of living in London.

This does seem to be the case with a significant number of people I spoke to on the day at St Georges and at my interview at Swansea.

People apply to St Georges because they are limited in their options, would take a place if it was there only offer and work out the finances later. There must have been at least 2-3 people I spoke to who wanted Notts or Swansea etc over St Georges.

The London schools are quite polarising, either people are absolutely desperate to get in or would avoid them if they could.
Reply 319
Who is attending the Taster session? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending