Article: 8 shameless tips that could save you £82 a week at uni

Check out the article here.

Anyone got any other good money saving saving tips? :cookie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Check out the article here.

Anyone got any other good money saving saving tips? :cookie:

I think I value my dignity more than £71 of those £91 I could 'save' ... :indiff:
I think some of those savings are completely unrealistic, the water bill savings alone are similar to most people's entire utility bill, you'd have to be massively overspending or overusing to get those kind of savings.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I think some of those savings are completely unrealistic, the water bill savings alone are similar to most people's entire utility bill, you'd have to be massively overspending or overusing to get those kind of savings.

Woops, thanks for picking up on this! :colondollar:

The article is supposed to be a bit of fun :h: I wouldn't take the guestimates too seriously :lol:
I don't live at university (I commute instead) but if I did live there I'd certainly look into some of the tips listed :smile: I might not eat people's leftovers but I'm sure I'd find some way to save money :smile:
Does anyone really spend £91 a week at uni? I never did.
Double tea bagging. *snigger*
I have a blog that focuses on saving money and being a savvy student
www.thesavvystudent.co.uk please check it out!
Shower once a week if you're paying for water? Absolutely not. :haughty:
Reply 9
8 shameless tip that could save you £82 a week or in other words being a scruffy ****
Reply 10
Whoever said to only shower once a week, obviously doesn't value hygiene in the slightest.
I've heard some weird stories from Fresher's week but I definitely don't think I'll try "double tea bagging"...
Reply 12
Double tea bagging? What is this anarchy?
I do find the one about flatmate's leftover food just weird.

We used to cook together, which does save money though.
Original post by Jhilton18
8 shameless tip that could save you £82 a week or in other words being a scruffy ****

Some of the tips are a bit OTT, such as the shower once a week thing - but a couple of the things would be fine!
Original post by OU Student
I do find the one about flatmate's leftover food just weird.

We used to cook together, which does save money though.

A couple of good tips that may be useful in adding to the list:

1) If you need to cook multiple items of food in an electric oven, don't cook them at separate times; cook everything at once (assuming the oven is big enough). That would make sure that the oven is used for the least possible time.

2) If you have a fan assisted oven, turn the oven off 10 to 15 minutes before the food will be cooked. The residual heat left in the oven will finish cooking the food. :smile:
No way is it healthy to live like that. I know how tough money is as a student, but doing those things the article says is simply existing, not living. Budgeting is extremely important, and there are plenty of decent, respectable and healthy ways to save more without going OCD about it. “I had a friend who lived in a flat of 10 people and for his meals he would wait around while everyone else cooked and ate what they left on their plate" WTF!!!
I like spending that money. :smile:
Original post by aoxa
Double tea bagging? What is this anarchy?

Tbf, I have bought some relatively expensive (Japanese) tea in the past, so that stuff DEFINITELY gets pricey. The cost of coffee has also gone up, because I bought a Tassimo machine, and that takes Costa pads, so I guess it's a case of how much respect do you have for your caffeine?

(I did once re-use some Sencha though because that is REALLY expensive)
Her friend isn’t alone, “I eat any left overs my flat mates have thrown in the bin,” confirms wildrover.

:eek:

This wildrover needs help

Quick Reply