The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kcv001
Thank you so much!
I was also wondering if you could tell me when exactly the registration event will be held for 2015 applicants?

Hello,

Intro Week for our new students will be 21-26 September 2015: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/about/dates/2015-16. Normally, students who are moving into University accommodation will pick up their keys the Saturday or Sunday before Intro Week (ie 19 and 20 September).

If you're an international student, you will be invited to Orientation Week, which takes place a week before Intro Week to give students from overseas more time to settle into Sheffield and the UK: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/welcome/arriving/orientation

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
Hi,
How many people have you interviewed this year for the A100 medicine course and how many are you planing to give offers to.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the competition in foundation for the degree of landscape architecture tough? Do I need to prepare a portfolio?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I've received an offer for QV35 (English and Philosophy) and I'm planning on firming Sheffield, but I would like to visit the uni first (I live in Kent). I received a booklet about the philosophy department open days for offer holders, but have not yet received the English department dates. I would prefer to visit the uni on an English open day because the booklet I received specified that on an English open day, I would have the opportunity to talk to a philosophy department leader, whereas on a philosophy open day I would not have the opportunity to talk to an English department leader.

I emailed the English admissions address that is on the Sheffield website ([email protected]) last Thursday but have not had a reply. I would really like to know when the English open days are being held as I will need to plan my trip in advance!

Thanks,

Lauren
Original post by scarlettwkw
Is the competition in foundation for the degree of landscape architecture tough? Do I need to prepare a portfolio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good morning :smile:

At Sheffield, I'm afraid we don't offer a foundation year for the BA (Hons) in Landscape Architecture, we just offer the 3 year BA (Hons) degree.

The entry requirements for Landscape Architecture are lower (A,B,B) than for our Architecture course. Competition for places is also less fierce than for Architecture and we normally have an intake of 45-50 students for Landscape Architecture. A portfolio is part of the application process. Usually, we ask for 6 pieces of art work in various mediums of your choice along with a 'Your Street’ exercise where you draw and describe your street or an outdoor space near to where you live. For more information on the course and the department, please see: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/landscape

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Good morning :smile:At Sheffield, I'm afraid we don't offer a foundation year for the BA (Hons) in Landscape Architecture, we just offer the 3 year BA (Hons) degree. The entry requirements for Landscape Architecture are lower (A,B,B) than for our Architecture course. Competition for places is also less fierce than for Architecture and we normally have an intake of 45-50 students for Landscape Architecture. A portfolio is part of the application process. Usually, we ask for 6 pieces of art work in various mediums of your choice along with a 'Your Street’ exercise where you draw and describe your street or an outdoor space near to where you live. For more information on the course and the department, please see: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/landscapeBest regardsElizabeth UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
oh, you might have mistaken me. The foundation programme I mentioned is in the international college of sheefield. Do people get into the BaLA after the course?
Original post by libertinegirl96
Hi,

I've received an offer for QV35 (English and Philosophy) and I'm planning on firming Sheffield, but I would like to visit the uni first (I live in Kent). I received a booklet about the philosophy department open days for offer holders, but have not yet received the English department dates. I would prefer to visit the uni on an English open day because the booklet I received specified that on an English open day, I would have the opportunity to talk to a philosophy department leader, whereas on a philosophy open day I would not have the opportunity to talk to an English department leader.

I emailed the English admissions address that is on the Sheffield website ([email protected]) last Thursday but have not had a reply. I would really like to know when the English open days are being held as I will need to plan my trip in advance!

Thanks,

Lauren

Hi Lauren

Thanks for getting in touch. We're delighted that you're thinking of making Sheffield your first choice :smile:. I've been in touch with our Combined Studies co-ordinator about the open day invitations and they are liaising directly with English on your behalf so you should hear something soon. At this stage, they are confident they can find you in our system but if I need your contact details or UCAS ID I'll send you a private message.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by scarlettwkw
oh, you might have mistaken me. The foundation programme I mentioned is in the international college of sheefield. Do people get into the BaLA after the course?

Good morning :smile:

I'm sorry for my mistake, you are 100% correct that there is a progression route onto BA (Hons) Landscape Architecture from the foundation programme at the Sheffield International College. Claire from our international office team has provided the following advice about the progression route: Students at the International College do not need to submit another application for the University. As part of your application for the International College, you choose the degree which you wish to progress to at the University after you have successfully completed your Foundation. If you plan to progress onto the BA Landscape Architecture from the International College, a portfolio is required for progression, and the college will support you in developing a portfolio for submission during your Foundation. If you have more detailed queries, you can contact a Student Enrolment Advisor for our International College using the enquiry form here: http://usic.sheffield.ac.uk/how-to-apply

Have a good weekend.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by Assy123
Hi,
How many people have you interviewed this year for the A100 medicine course and how many are you planing to give offers to.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I've emailed our admissions team with your query but as you can appreciate it's a very busy time of year. As a guide, here are some stats about applications to our medicine degree. We have 219 places on the five-year A100 course and 18 places on the six-year A104 course. For entry in 2014 we received over 2,500 applications. Each year we interview between 500-700 applicants. For more information about the interview process and the qualities we are looking for in applicants, please see:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/whathappens

I hope that's helpful.

Best regards

Elizabeth
I've received a conditional offer for Law and I'm planning to firm it! :biggrin:
I would be happy to know how much approx. do I need to buy all the Law textbooks? Are we allowed to photocopy them instead?
Original post by Assy123
Hi,

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good afternoon

The Medical School has confirmed that this year they will be interviewing almost 600 candidates and are likely to make offers to approximately 400.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Reply 31
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Good afternoon

The Medical School has confirmed that this year they will be interviewing almost 600 candidates and are likely to make offers to approximately 400.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thank you for the information :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I know how many people applied to LLB Law (Hons) course and how many are you planing to give offers to?
How long does it take to get a reply after visiting Sheffield University for an open day with an interview? I really liked it and will definitely firm it but the wait is killing me! As of now it has been 1 day. :colondollar:
Reply 34
Hi,

I have accepted my unconditional offer on MSc Information Systems Management for sept '15.
Currently, I'm searching for private accomodation, what i would like to know is that, since the course is jointly run by the management & information school, will all my modules be taught in these 2 buildings? Or is it just the management school on conduit road?
Would really appreciate if you could help me out with this!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by victoria_mae
I've received a conditional offer for Law and I'm planning to firm it! :biggrin:
I would be happy to know how much approx. do I need to buy all the Law textbooks? Are we allowed to photocopy them instead?

Hi Victoria_mae :smile:

We're really pleased you'd like to study at Sheffield this year. I've had a chat with the School of Law about the resources you may need to buy. Their advice is not to rush out and buy text books yet. As a guide you normally study 6 modules per year and most modules have a text book. However, sometimes you don't need to buy the book. For some modules we print statute books that bring all the relevant articles and information together. The University library carries copies of all the core books needed for our courses and many of these books are available as e-books. I think it's a good idea to allow for buying some books as part of your budget but bear in mind that you may be able to use this money for something else.

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth

Reply 36
Hi there!

I was wondering if there is anyway to see pictures of the accommodation at the City and Endcliffe sites? I have firmed my offer from Sheffield and would like to start looking at where to live. I can't afford to come up to Sheffield again before accommodation application opens, so would really like some more specific info than is currently available on the accommodation section of the website.

Thank you,
Francesca
Original post by victoria_mae
Can I know how many people applied to LLB Law (Hons) course and how many are you planing to give offers to?

Hi victoria_mae

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been out of the office visiting schools and colleges. I will find out and come back to you. :smile:

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by HassanD
How long does it take to get a reply after visiting Sheffield University for an open day with an interview? I really liked it and will definitely firm it but the wait is killing me! As of now it has been 1 day. :colondollar:

Hi HassanD

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you (and I appreciate that you may now have already heard from us via Track!). If you've not heard anything further, please can you send me a direct message with your name, UCAS number, date of birth and the course you've applied to and I will ask our admissions team to look into it.

Many thanks

Elizabeth

Original post by Dee3
Hi,

I have accepted my unconditional offer on MSc Information Systems Management for sept '15.
Currently, I'm searching for private accomodation, what i would like to know is that, since the course is jointly run by the management & information school, will all my modules be taught in these 2 buildings? Or is it just the management school on conduit road?
Would really appreciate if you could help me out with this!

Thanks! :smile:

Hi Dee3

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been out of the office visiting schools and colleges. I will ask the course team about this and get back to you.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending