The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naomi12
Regent's Park - it gets quite a few reallocated students, so I think they're doing the open day as quite a few might not have seen the college or been there for interview :smile:

Isn't that a PPH? Like male-only and religious?
Yeah it's a PPH but it's a mixed one - you're probably thinking of St Benets (I think that's its name?). Regent's is set up by baptists I think but apparently there's nothing overtly religious about it which is good as I'm an atheist!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J3SS742
Aww thanks! :biggrin: Yeah Ive only seen a couple of people with offers from Pembroke, but yeah I think its nice that its quite small cause hopefully we'll get to know everyone :smile: was Pembroke your first choice?

It was one of the colleges I was looking at when I was thinking about applying, but I ended up applying to Merton (the student who showed me round on open day was doing my course, so it seemed like a safe bet) but then got reallocated to Corpus Christi, and then also got called to interview at Pembroke, who ended up giving me an offer. Did you apply there originally? (I think I've heard it's a good college for Biochem? Or at least, a lot of the people I've heard of going there seem to do either biochem or modern languages...)
Original post by Cyduck
How did you find out it is underwritten by Queens though?

Because they're the college that sent me the letter with my offer :smile:
Original post by Yaz97
It's a strange thought! The people were definitely my favourite aspect of Brasenose - very friendly and down to earth :smile: where else have you had offers from? I applied for psychology and got an open offer :biggrin: and to answer what you said about how your offer could be underwritten by Queen's, I would imagine it's simply because they have the capacity... although that is just a guess, there may be another reason but that's probably the most likely.

It was such a lovely college! I don't have any other offers - that's Medicine though I guess! I've had an interview at Cardiff and have one at Birmingham on Friday and have been rejected from Bristol. How about you? Will you be firming Oxford? :biggrin: Yes that's what I guessed too!
Original post by mercurien
It was one of the colleges I was looking at when I was thinking about applying, but I ended up applying to Merton (the student who showed me round on open day was doing my course, so it seemed like a safe bet) but then got reallocated to Corpus Christi, and then also got called to interview at Pembroke, who ended up giving me an offer. Did you apply there originally? (I think I've heard it's a good college for Biochem? Or at least, a lot of the people I've heard of going there seem to do either biochem or modern languages...)

Wow you've seen a lot of colleges then! :smile: Hopefully you'll like it at Pembroke even if it wasn't your first choice :smile:
Yeah Pembroke was my first choice, mainly cause it seemed so friendly and welcoming on the open day! Ooh I'm not too sure about that, I just remember that at interview there were a ton of biochem applicants there haha :smile: but I think most colleges are excellent at the subjects they teach, because its Oxford! :smile:
Reply 1006
Original post by procrastibaker
It was such a lovely college! I don't have any other offers - that's Medicine though I guess! I've had an interview at Cardiff and have one at Birmingham on Friday and have been rejected from Bristol. How about you? Will you be firming Oxford? :biggrin: Yes that's what I guessed too!

That's interesting, that you've had an offer from Oxford but a rejection from Bristol! Obviously for you it must be more annoying than interesting but I just mean it makes you wonder about the system. Good luck for Birmingham! I'm guessing you've visited but if not then it's lovely there, Birmingham is my insurance with Oxford as my firm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
That's interesting, that you've had an offer from Oxford but a rejection from Bristol! Obviously for you it must be more annoying than interesting but I just mean it makes you wonder about the system. Good luck for Birmingham! I'm guessing you've visited but if not then it's lovely there, Birmingham is my insurance with Oxford as my firm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did love Bristol and was a bit gutted at the time but it's okay :smile: I'm hoping on Cardiff on the insurance so I'm not expecting a great interview tomorrow at Birmingham haha - It's a lovely uni I agree but the offer would also be A*AA, the same as Oxford - not much of an insurance, whereas Cardiff is AAA :biggrin: Goodluck and hopefully I'll be seeing you in Oxford in October!!
Reply 1008
Original post by procrastibaker
I did love Bristol and was a bit gutted at the time but it's okay :smile: I'm hoping on Cardiff on the insurance so I'm not expecting a great interview tomorrow at Birmingham haha - It's a lovely uni I agree but the offer would also be A*AA, the same as Oxford - not much of an insurance, whereas Cardiff is AAA :biggrin: Goodluck and hopefully I'll be seeing you in Oxford in October!!

Ahh well then fingers crossed for Cardiff, although hopefully you won't need it! :smile:
Just firmed Oxford. I set LSE as my insurance even though its offer is higher than Oxford's (A*AA), because I couldn't bear to reject their offer haha
Right, so I have an offer for Oxford and I'm supposed to complete a health questionnaire by 1st March. There is a section for my GP to complete and they are taking agggees.....

My questions are these:

Those who had to complete this questionnaire did you need any blood tests? Will I?

And what happens if Oxford doesnt receive it by the deadline? Will my offer be withdrawn??
Original post by Ruyshi

Those who had to complete this questionnaire did you need any blood tests? Will I?

Unlikely.

And what happens if Oxford doesnt receive it by the deadline? Will my offer be withdrawn??

No. They are human. They will talk with you and understand.

My GP didn't get it back to me until the at least the 10th prompt in mid May. Then charged me £20 for the bit of paper. Was the subject of my first ever TSR post :tongue:
Original post by the1akshay
Just firmed Oxford. I set LSE as my insurance even though its offer is higher than Oxford's (A*AA), because I couldn't bear to reject their offer haha

Is there really nowhere else you'd be willing to go to if you didn't quite make the grades somehow? I'm currently unsure whether to do something similar with Imperial as an insurance (A*A*AA vs A*AA) or to insurance Kings instead (AAB) which is my 4th choice so I have a bit of a backup.
Original post by Rifleboy123
Is there really nowhere else you'd be willing to go to if you didn't quite make the grades somehow? I'm currently unsure whether to do something similar with Imperial as an insurance (A*A*AA vs A*AA) or to insurance Kings instead (AAB) which is my 4th choice so I have a bit of a backup.

My other choices were Durham, York and UCL, and to be honest I'd have been happy going to any of them. None of them had offers as low as Oxford's (AAA) except for York, who were AAA including Maths. So York would have been the obvious choice to use as an insurance.

But I thought of what would happen if I ended up with A*AB, which I presume wouldn't meet Oxford's offer - with LSE though, I hear they're quite keen on an A* in Maths, and might be flexible about it.

That is probably just wishful thinking though. In reality, my AS grades were good such that I only need BCCU (doing four) to meet AAA. Obviously I really don't want to get BCCU this year, but the AS has certainly taken a lot of pressure off me.
Original post by powelsmartin
Yep :smile: I got an offer from Oriel, and it's definitely one of the biggest courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oriel is the ****ing place.
Original post by Marakh
Oriel is the ****ing place.

Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1016
Original post by Ruyshi
Right, so I have an offer for Oxford and I'm supposed to complete a health questionnaire by 1st March.

Why do you have to do this?! Which college?
Original post by AdamY
Why do you have to do this?! Which college?

That's probably for medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by powelsmartin
That's probably for medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it is
Original post by nexttime
Unlikely.

No. They are human. They will talk with you and understand.

My GP didn't get it back to me until the at least the 10th prompt in mid May. Then charged me £20 for the bit of paper. Was the subject of my first ever TSR post :tongue:

Thank you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending