Scroll to see replies

And I thought I was half-decent at chemistry :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enaayrah
And I thought I was half-decent at chemistry :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weird thing is, someone out there must good at this stuff :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you guys prepare for the Chemistry Olympiad and was it useful?

I'm worried since I entered my school into this competition so there is quite some pressure to do well.:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang
Weird thing is, someone out there must good at this stuff :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I would've done better if I was in A2 though! I had my mocks this week too :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by Xenorebrem
How did you guys prepare for the Chemistry Olympiad and was it useful?

I'm worried since I entered my school into this competition so there is quite some pressure to do well.:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did all the past papers and revised my alevel spec entirely (AS and A2). I also did the RSc 'Advanced starters for ten' which were helpful.

However, the 2015 olympiad was just on a whole new level from past papers and everyone I know struggled with it. It was completely unfair as they changed the style of the synthesis question. There was really no need for them to make the Olympiad this year as hard as it was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
I did all the past papers and revised my alevel spec entirely (AS and A2). I also did the RSc 'Advanced starters for ten' which were helpful.

However, the 2015 olympiad was just on a whole new level from past papers and everyone I know struggled with it. It was completely unfair as they changed the style of the synthesis question. There was really no need for them to make the Olympiad this year as hard as it was

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was it on the physical chemistry front?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh dear. I have it next Friday (I'll still get PM's asking me what questions came up though -.- ).

I'm hoping the organic (synthetic routes) really isn't as difficult as what I'm hearing; I'm not that strong with physical and I genuinely despise inorganic...
Original post by TajwarC
Oh dear. I have it next Friday (I'll still get PM's asking me what questions came up though -.- ).

I'm hoping the organic (synthetic routes) really isn't as difficult as what I'm hearing; I'm not that strong with physical and I genuinely despise inorganic...

The deadline is Tuesday 10th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree about the synthesis question. The format made that question virtually inaccessible for Y12s (like me :frown:)
The deadline is Tuesday 10th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Deadline? The RSC seem to be okay with our school doing it on the 13th...
Reply 70
How was it on the physical chemistry front?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite mathsy I guess. Some hefty equations and stoichiometry and algebra etc. Really quite hard to access those questions.

The biggest killer I think isn't the difficulty, but rather the confidence your students will lose during the first question. I started question 3 without really doing 1 or 2 and it just put me down for the others. It's a shame because I can do A2 papers with ease and I understand alevel content very well, but they introduce a lot of concepts which are unfamiliar. I wasn't prepared for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TajwarC
Deadline? The RSC seem to be okay with our school doing it on the 13th...

Well I emailed the RSC and they told me the deadline was the 10th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I emailed the RSC and they told me the deadline was the 10th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure that was for entries or for the last examination to take place?
Original post by TajwarC
Are you sure that was for entries or for the last examination to take place?

The latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm that's odd. It's possible the may have made an exception for our school because they didn't reply to my teacher when she asked for the papers, she had to email them again.
Anyone know roughly what score you need to get through to round 2, based on previous years?
Original post by talkbiology
Can people who haven't done the paper yet please stop sending me messages asking for what questions come up

If anyone is trying to cheat on this (or any other exam that is yet to be done), please report them to the moderation team using the "Report Post" function and we'll deal with them. :yy:
Reply 77
Original post by allstar1996
Anyone know roughly what score you need to get through to round 2, based on previous years?

Above 85%

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I got a solid 1/60 :biggrin: and im doing alevel chemistry haha
Reply 79
Original post by jimmysandwiches
I think I got a solid 1/60 :biggrin: and im doing alevel chemistry haha

1/75 lol (sorry)

Still an excellent score for this years olympiad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest