The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmam
I got a copy of the form from the college for making a formal complaint; however I'm unsure how I should word it. Anyone know of any organisations which could help me?

See if one of the unions will help you. They cover trainees too and unions usually still have a bit of clout in schools and colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
See if one of the unions will help you. They cover trainees too and unions usually still have a bit of clout in schools and colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I contacted the NUT and they just fobbed me off by telling me to contact the student union in the college :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I contacted the NUT and they just fobbed me off by telling me to contact the student union in the college :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were the student union any help? Do you have a named contact in the unions?
Were the student union any help? Do you have a named contact in the unions?

I haven't bothered contacting the student union as I don't think they'd be much help with this tbh; I think they tend to deal more with the 16-19 year old FE students rather than HE/mature students. Im not sure. I think I might try the one at the university instead but not sure if we can go to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Question - I am seeing on a lot of application forms that they went any gaps in employment/education history explained.

I have a year gap because I started a degree and decided it wasn't for me before starting another. I don't know whether to say this, or just say I had a gap year travelling. The degree I dropped out of is in the subject that I am applying to teach in this instance! So it doesn't look good...and they will want to know why I dropped out obviously. Even though I do genuinely love the subject that it was in, I just didn't have a Maths A-Level and found it very difficult at degree level.
I contacted the CAB apparently I should be able to get my tuition fee back under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.
Original post by floralteapot
I am just about to apply for my first teaching post - but as our uni has given us no advice whatsoever yet I was wondering if any of you had an idea: - in the previous employment section do I have to put my mundane sales assistants jobs? Although I can see how certain qualities of the job will relate quite well it just seems pretty pointless! I am guessing the answer will be yes but just wondered if anybody had been given other advice.

Also if anyone has an insight into who you are supposed to put as a second referee, again, that would be most appreciated. I am guessing a previous employer as well as university tutor?

I have also been told (by a recruitment consultant and a union rep) that unless explicitly requested otherwise, on an application form you should only list relevant jobs, not every little thing. Obviously if they ask then tell them but otherwise they aren't going to care, it will just crowd the application with unhelpful information.

And I also used one of my mentors from placement, as did all my peers.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4947
Have been reading the past few pages and I feel the pain of some of you guys.

I've gotta start my second placement in a few weeks and I feel sick just thinking about it.

The fact that we need to start all over again build these relationships all over again makes me resentful - also how we have literally no time to sit back and reflect on our actual teaching more running and rushing like headless chickens to plan and deliver lessons makes me a tad annoyed as were paying 9k for this course.

On another note my mentor said I was one of the best trainees he's had I related this back to my tutor and he said oh don't make a big deal out of that he says that to almost everyone I thought that was quite cruel and has kinda knocked my confidence.

I need to go into my second placement today to get my timetable etc I really don't wanna go :'(

Do you guys have any tips on how to deal with this sudden anxiety? Feeling of doom?
Original post by Sam89
Have been reading the past few pages and I feel the pain of some of you guys.

I've gotta start my second placement in a few weeks and I feel sick just thinking about it.

The fact that we need to start all over again build these relationships all over again makes me resentful - also how we have literally no time to sit back and reflect on our actual teaching more running and rushing like headless chickens to plan and deliver lessons makes me a tad annoyed as were paying 9k for this course.

On another note my mentor said I was one of the best trainees he's had I related this back to my tutor and he said oh don't make a big deal out of that he says that to almost everyone I thought that was quite cruel and has kinda knocked my confidence.

I need to go into my second placement today to get my timetable etc I really don't wanna go :'(

Do you guys have any tips on how to deal with this sudden anxiety? Feeling of doom?

I can't give you any tips. All I can say is I know exactly how you feel! I was supposed to start on Monday, but I've had an operation so it will probably be after half term now. It feels even worse because I have a feeling it is going to drag, if you know what I mean. Last placement...I'm going to be counting down the days.

It is out of line for your tutor to say that about what your mentor said. He should have at least kept it in his head if it is what he was thinking.

Anyway, approx four months left. Not too long. And there are lots of half terms littered in with that! Stay optimistic. We can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to regularly get these feelings of doom and still do sometimes. I felt they invaded my thoughts in free time as well as time spent in school. On the bus on the way in to school I used to feel awful and wanted the (1 and a half hour!) journey to never end haha. I don't know why I felt so bad either because my mentor and school are nice, it was just my own anxiety torturing me, and mulling over bad lessons and experiences . The other bad thing I have is dreams. I wake up constantly throughout the night thinking I have slept through my alarm and have missed school. I talk in my sleep about resources and powerpoints and lesson plans.

I have been on my second placement for five weeks now (we started on the first day of term) and things are better. The only cure is to just teach I think - the stress hasn't go away but I feel less anxious standing in front of thirty kids and critical observers because I've got used to it. I find calming mental visualisation exercises help a great deal. The book 'NLP for Teachers' helped me move on a little bit from my anxiety.
Apparently my hours have been sorted; however I am still having thoughts about dropping out. Because I started my placement so late I haven't had any observations yet which means I'm going to have to rush them without been given enough time to build up my confidence in the classroom (as I'm not a naturally confident person anyway this will mean I'm unlikely to pass them first time around). I still want to work in education but I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore nor do I think I'd make a good one. Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone tell me what the standard policy is on long absence at their uni? I'm going to end up missing two weeks, and I'm getting really anxious that I won't end up getting the PGCE in time for September because of this! Can that happen?

Original post by gemmam
Apparently my hours have been sorted; however I am still having thoughts about dropping out. Because I started my placement so late I haven't had any observations yet which means I'm going to have to rush them without been given enough time to build up my confidence in the classroom (as I'm not a naturally confident person anyway this will mean I'm unlikely to pass them first time around). I still want to work in education but I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore nor do I think I'd make a good one. Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see where you are coming from, as the whole thing hasn't been timed right. I am not naturally confident and I don't like being thrown in so I can empathise. Can you see if there can be an arrangement to start fresh in September, with student finance and guaranteed allocation of hours?
Original post by Airfairy
Can anyone tell me what the standard policy is on long absence at their uni? I'm going to end up missing two weeks, and I'm getting really anxious that I won't end up getting the PGCE in time for September because of this! Can that happen?

I can see where you are coming from, as the whole thing hasn't been timed right. I am not naturally confident and I don't like being thrown in so I can empathise. Can you see if there can be an arrangement to start fresh in September, with student finance and guaranteed allocation of hours?

Well if I'm going to start again in September I wouldn't want to do it there. Not only would I not trust them to deliver I'm also planning on moving away from the area to be nearer my boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice would be to stick at it for a while longer. The first few weeks/month are bound to be tough and it will be a struggle, but it's all about finding your feet at first. To this end, the observations during this time may go terribly, and that's absolutely fine (looking through my SE1 observations, it's amazing how much changed). I'd say stick at it at least until Easter, then see how you feel about it. Even if you don't want to be a teacher, the PGCE is still a good thing to have on a job application (much better than a gap). Especially if you're looking at continuing in education of some form.

I know it's been hard - your experiences sound bang out of order to be honest - but hopefully the problems should be over now. Teaching isn't easy, but after the initial awkward phase I've found I'm massively enjoyed it. Don't let your rubbish training provider ruin your ambitions before you get started.
Original post by tory88
My advice would be to stick at it for a while longer. The first few weeks/month are bound to be tough and it will be a struggle, but it's all about finding your feet at first. To this end, the observations during this time may go terribly, and that's absolutely fine (looking through my SE1 observations, it's amazing how much changed). I'd say stick at it at least until Easter, then see how you feel about it. Even if you don't want to be a teacher, the PGCE is still a good thing to have on a job application (much better than a gap). Especially if you're looking at continuing in education of some form.

I know it's been hard - your experiences sound bang out of order to be honest - but hopefully the problems should be over now. Teaching isn't easy, but after the initial awkward phase I've found I'm massively enjoyed it. Don't let your rubbish training provider ruin your ambitions before you get started.

We go on full-time teaching practice for a month after half term and I've been told I need to get at least two observations in during that time. I did do some teaching hours before Christmas covering for a teacher who was off which weren't so bad but I had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago which made me have second thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
We go on full-time teaching practice for a month after half term and I've been told I need to get at least two observations in during that time. I did do some teaching hours before Christmas covering for a teacher who was off which weren't so bad but I had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago which made me have second thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your observations don't need to be perfect. Don't sweat them. If anything you'll be able to show how you're progressing in such a short amount of time. Stick it out and give everything a go.

You got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy

Not sure about policy but I had to have surgery during my PGCE. I had to take 2 weeks off, though that overlapped a little bit with half term. My uni and placement school were both fine about it and really supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that. It's important to remember that we all have bad lessons/days/weeks, but we then get to go into the classroom again and iron everything out and have an upswing, You've unfortunately been denied that opportunity.

The important thing is to remember that even experienced teachers have horrible lessons where nobody learns everything, and put all your efforts into developing new lessons.You're bound to be shaky at the start, but that's fine - perhaps to ease yourself in ask to take a small-group or starter/plenary? Or just spend as much time talking to pupils in lessons as possible?

I find the best thing is to chuck yourself into it and keep the momentum going - I'm sure you'll do fine!
Your observations don't need to be perfect. Don't sweat them. If anything you'll be able to show how you're progressing in such a short amount of time. Stick it out and give everything a go.

You got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tory88
I'm sorry to hear that. It's important to remember that we all have bad lessons/days/weeks, but we then get to go into the classroom again and iron everything out and have an upswing, You've unfortunately been denied that opportunity.

The important thing is to remember that even experienced teachers have horrible lessons where nobody learns everything, and put all your efforts into developing new lessons.You're bound to be shaky at the start, but that's fine - perhaps to ease yourself in ask to take a small-group or starter/plenary? Or just spend as much time talking to pupils in lessons as possible?

I find the best thing is to chuck yourself into it and keep the momentum going - I'm sure you'll do fine!

Thanks. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can fake confidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Thanks. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can fake confidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Head up; straight back; loud, clear voice (don't rush through what you have to say); move around and move your arms. Obviously a lot easier to say than to do, but remember that pupils will assume you're an authority figure unless you show them otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending