The Student Room Group

Keele Selection Day for Social Work

Hi guys!

I was just invited to a selection day by Keele University for Social Work and hear that it is really hard to get passed.
It's an exam, group interview and single interview however if you do badly in the exam, they send you home saying you haven't got through to the next stage.

So I was just wondering if any of you have experienced the process before and how you prepared for the written exam? Should I do practice case studies and questions? Read up on more recent news articles? I'm fairly confident about the group and single interview as I have prepared a lot for them.

Oh and also, is anyone else going to the 12th Feb Selection Day? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hi,
I am going to the selection day at keele on 12th, but no experience, I'm gonna read up a lot, but not sure what yet.
Original post by Liz68501
Hi,
I am going to the selection day at keele on 12th, but no experience, I'm gonna read up a lot, but not sure what yet.

Awesome! Finally found someone who's going :biggrin:

I'm really worried about not passing the initial test part as you get declined straight away. Is this your first interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah me too, are you applying for the BA or MA, I'm MA this is the only one I'm applying to, so it's all or nothing! I've read some of the threads from previous years and got a bit of an idea but I've heard it's really hard too!
Reply 5
Hi, went to the Keele selection day on the 21st Jan.
it's a really relaxed day, the test and discussion is not hard, just there to make sure you can put together a sentence/paragraph.
In our discussion we just talked about Proffessional boundarys. It's just to prove your communication skills.
I'm still waiting to find out if I have a place as it takes 3 weeks
Wish you lots of luck
Reply 6
Original post by ladyjx
it's a really relaxed day, the test and discussion is not hard, just there to make sure you can put together a sentence/paragraph.
In our discussion we just talked about Proffessional boundarys. It's just to prove your communication skills.
I'm still waiting to find out if I have a place as it takes 3 weeks ������
Wish you lots of luck

Thanks so much, that really helps, what sort of things did they ask in the written? Was it just an article and they asked a question about it? Also what did people wear? Is it very formal?
Good luck with your place 😊
Original post by Liz68501
Yeah me too, are you applying for the BA or MA, I'm MA this is the only one I'm applying to, so it's all or nothing! I've read some of the threads from previous years and got a bit of an idea but I've heard it's really hard too!

I'm applying for the BA, can you link to those previous threads please? I'd like to know how to prepare! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladyjx
I'm still waiting to find out if I have a place as it takes 3 weeks í ½í¸
Wish you lots of luck

Thank you so much for replying!!
Was the test a scenario or was it a social work question you had to answer?
Hope you get a place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi, the written test was just to write a letter, it had nothing to do with social work, just purely to show you could put a piece of work together.
I think smart is the best way to dress, most people did, black trousers and suit jacket, something like that.
It is a really relaxed atmosphere compared to others I had been to. In the interview some of the questions asked were, why you want to be a social worker, what skills and values you have that would help you in the role, when you have experienced discrimination, either personally or at work. A challenging situation you have been in. What you have been reding to prepare yourself and a chance to sell yourself at the end.
I always think it's good to have a question prepared to ask them, to show you have researched the course and their uni.
The staff are really nice and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself, they don't expect you to know everything, just to check that you are the right kind of person and know what the role of a social worker actually is!!
Always useful to look up current affairs, I used the problem with bed blocking at the mo. The guardian or college of social work have current issues online.
Good luck!!!
Original post by ladyjx
Hi, the written test was just to write a letter, it had nothing to do with social work, just purely to show you could put a piece of work together.
I think smart is the best way to dress, most people did, black trousers and suit jacket, something like that.
It is a really relaxed atmosphere compared to others I had been to. In the interview some of the questions asked were, why you want to be a social worker, what skills and values you have that would help you in the role, when you have experienced discrimination, either personally or at work. A challenging situation you have been in. What you have been reding to prepare yourself and a chance to sell yourself at the end.
I always think it's good to have a question prepared to ask them, to show you have researched the course and their uni.
The staff are really nice and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself, they don't expect you to know everything, just to check that you are the right kind of person and know what the role of a social worker actually is!!
Always useful to look up current affairs, I used the problem with bed blocking at the mo. The guardian or college of social work have current issues online.
Good luck!!!

Wow, thank you for all that, it seriously helped so, so much! I'm not as worried anymore. :smile: I'll take all that in to account, thank you again :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
I'm applying for the BA, can you link to those previous threads please? I'd like to know how to prepare! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've struggled to find it again as I was reading it when I actually applied, but I think this is it, it's from awhile ago but should still be useful, there's a few different ones.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=379884&page=25

theres this one too, it's for the masters but it's relevant for anyone I think http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2488151
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi, hope your selection days at Keele went well!!! Iv just heard back after 3 weeks and 2 days... Wow what an agonising wait!!! Iv got a place :smile:
Original post by ladyjx
Hi, hope your selection days at Keele went well!!! Iv just heard back after 3 weeks and 2 days... Wow what an agonising wait!!! Iv got a place :smile:

Congratulations!!! And yes, I think it went pretty well, now for the agonising 3 week wait haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Glad it went well!!! Try not to get too addicted to checking ucas track lol I did!!!
I got offered a place today!!! So excited as it's my first choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I got an offer yesterday too, excited now

Quick Reply