The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3380
Original post by Miladrises
Yes its an essay subject with topics regarding things like philosophy and ethics

Then write an ace personal statement and with a bit of luck you will have a place at LSE
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by magnolia123
Sorry to hear mate. Any other choices in the pipeline?
What were your stats and when did you apply?

I'm probably gonna firm Warwick now. I'm from Italy and I was predicted 95/100 in the final examination. Oh and I applied on the 13th of November. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Sorry?

That sucks
Bun waiting, lse should just put us out of our misery
Original post by avar
It depends on the difficulty of your subjects. If you do Business, Psychology and ICT then probably not. But if you do, say Maths, Physics and History, then you should be fine.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

Use this as a rough guideline (LSE's policy shouldn't be too different from Cambridge). If you have A*AA if three A class subjects then your grades are definitely competitive.

Bear in mind though that Law is competitive, so the 'comparatively' weak GCSE's may hurt if you have a weak subject combination.

Don't underestimate the personal statement though I have an offer for Govt and Econ (a competitive course) with 7A*s 2A's and a B GCSE, and A*A*AA A2 predicts. While my friend who has 10A*'s at GCSE, and A*A*A*A* predicts got rejected for PPE.

My friend last year got an offer with 0A*s at GCSE for LSE Law in December. While they matter it doesn't seem like they're as big a factor.

Nailing AS and an exceptional PS is key.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Got my UGAA invitation today. I applied for BSc Social Policy and Sociology and I'm not an international student. Do all applicants with 'non-traditional' qualifications/grades automatically receive the invitation or is it only a selected handful?
Original post by Thestudent100
Ok could someone brief me on what is UGAA and the other admission tests? I'm so confused? (I applied for management and haven't heard back yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're the Undergraduate Admissions Assessments. I'm not aware of any others. Students with 'non-traditional' qualifications (like BTECs, Access courses, foundation degrees, any alternative international qualifications etc.) receive the invitation and I'm not sure if only a selected number of students are chosen or all automatically receive the invitation. It states on the LSE website "If an Admissions Tutor wants an applicant to sit the test, the Undergraduate Admissions Office will contact the applicant directly between early-mid February 2015. Please note that applicants cannot request to sit this test."

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/UGAA.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Miladrises
Thanks for the helo but my question was are my grades good enough (given i have a good personal statement) to make a competitive application

Even considering that, we cannot say for sure if your application will be competitive or not. Every other applicant may have 11 A* at GCSE, 4 As at AS and 4 A* at A2 so they would be ahead of you.
I got rejected from PPE and accepted into philosophy and economics last night (Australia time).

So happy that I got the acceptance first because after that the rejection didn't even matter.

Good luck to everyone trying to get in, this is the greatest feeling of my life.

edit: Just thought I'd add that despite all of the horror stories I read on this thread and others, these decisions came 6 days after my 8 week email.
(edited 9 years ago)
So the dreaded friday is over. amazed at the number of offers. No luck for me today. hoping for a response next week though. well done to the lucky few which received offers!
Got a conditional offer to study IR on January 8. American so my offer is condition on me getting 5 on AP Macroeconomics and 5 on AP Microeconomics. Pretty happy.
Reply 3391
Got a rejection for maths and economics :frown: because of alevel grades...

Still waiting for BMS....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamjamjamT
This thing about Personal Statements not being good enough kinda winds me up. If you think about it the whole point of a Personal Statement is exactly that - it should be personal and therefore unique. We write what is personal to us and I think it is wrong that Unis can use that as a tool to reject an application.

Also when you consider that most of us apply to up to 5 Universities how can we write a statement that works for all of the Unis, more so if we apply for slightly different courses at each Uni?

I think the PS should just be used to give a Uni that extra bit of information that cannot be garnered from a UCAS application.

I am in complete and sincere agreeance with you. My Personal Statement was apparently deemed 'not good enough'; not even in light of my 5As (96 UMS avg.) at AS. If not 'good enough', it was certainly unique.
Original post by Dmirza96
I am in complete and sincere agreeance with you. My Personal Statement was apparently deemed 'not good enough'; not even in light of my 5As (96 UMS avg.) at AS. If not 'good enough', it was certainly unique.

What did you write about in your ps? Out of curiosity, I'm **** scared about mine too
Original post by jakepro94
Got my UGAA invitation today. I applied for BSc Social Policy and Sociology and I'm not an international student. Do all applicants with 'non-traditional' qualifications/grades automatically receive the invitation or is it only a selected handful?

I am a mature student ( over 21!! ) applied for social policy Bsc ( on its own ) I got my offer in Early Jan ... I do not have to sit UGAA ...

So it's not everyone but it must mean you are still in the mix .... Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hjyu1
Got any other offers?

Warwick and Bath A and F
Nottingham Economics
Waiting on UCL economics
Original post by avar
Aww man sorry about that bud. Do you mind quoting the actual sentence? A friend got a similar message and she found it really patronizing

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful because in their opinion your personal statement did not demonstrate as much interest in, or focus on, the BSc in Accounting and Finance programme when compared to the personal statements received from successful applicants.

Applicants are expected to demonstrate commitment and give valid reasons for their programme choice in the personal statement. Also, academic staff expect to see a well-written personal statement which provides succinct, clear evidence of understanding and preparation for the further study of their subject. Unfortunately they did not find your personal statement sufficiently convincing for you to be offered a place at LSE.

Bare in mind i did accounting work experience, wrote about the effects on company and global finance after the crash in addition to a summer school i attended. Their loss as far as i am concerned
Original post by andreyrepin
Hi everyone
applied to maths and econ at LSE, received an invitation to sit the UGAA test today
russian student doing a foundation course in London

any math and econ applicants here?

О, салют)
Original post by Saab.L
Got a rejection for maths and economics :frown: because of alevel grades...
Still waiting for BMS....
Posted from TSR Mobile

Really sorry about that :\

Hope BMS won't disappoint you! Good Luck!!
Original post by tazza ma razza
The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful because in their opinion your personal statement did not demonstrate as much interest in, or focus on, the BSc in Accounting and Finance programme when compared to the personal statements received from successful applicants.

Applicants are expected to demonstrate commitment and give valid reasons for their programme choice in the personal statement. Also, academic staff expect to see a well-written personal statement which provides succinct, clear evidence of understanding and preparation for the further study of their subject. Unfortunately they did not find your personal statement sufficiently convincing for you to be offered a place at LSE.

Bare in mind i did accounting work experience, wrote about the effects on company and global finance after the crash in addition to a summer school i attended. Their loss as far as i am concerned

Which waiting week were u at when u received this rejection? :0 im still waiting..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending