The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tory88
Head up; straight back; loud, clear voice (don't rush through what you have to say); move around and move your arms. Obviously a lot easier to say than to do, but remember that pupils will assume you're an authority figure unless you show them otherwise.

I think that might be why that class didn't go well; they knew I was a student teacher. When I did the classes before Christmas they weren't told and probably assumed I was a sub or a teacher from a different department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Well if I'm going to start again in September I wouldn't want to do it there. Not only would I not trust them to deliver I'm also planning on moving away from the area to be nearer my boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may be able to start somewhere else? I don't know how it would work. Or you can plow through.

Original post by myblueheaven339
Not sure about policy but I had to have surgery during my PGCE. I had to take 2 weeks off, though that overlapped a little bit with half term. My uni and placement school were both fine about it and really supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Mine is because of surgery too. Did you have to make the days up at the end?
Original post by gemmam
I think that might be why that class didn't go well; they knew I was a student teacher. When I did the classes before Christmas they weren't told and probably assumed I was a sub or a teacher from a different department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Classes shoudn't be told you're a student teacher unless you decide to tell them! It's worrying how many times this seems to be ignored though (my second placement originally printed badges that said student teacher on - although I've been told this will change by the time I start).
So I started the teaching practice at my SE2 school and the teacher wants to check every lesson plan and to follow her plans. I'm having difficulties adjusting because in my first SE1 the teacher used to let me have a free reign on the planning, he would just tell me what he wanted me to teach.

In SE2 it is so different because the class teacher wants to check everything and I feel like this is limiting me.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Thanks. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can fake confidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know it helps you much but I found it helped if I wore the most teacher like clothes as possible.
I feel that if I dress the part then I feel more able to be the part.
Original post by tory88
Classes shoudn't be told you're a student teacher unless you decide to tell them! It's worrying how many times this seems to be ignored though (my second placement originally printed badges that said student teacher on - although I've been told this will change by the time I start).

I didn't know that. I just don't know much about classroom management; I've read books but I can't imagine myself pulling it off. In the class I had which didn't go well I over heard one of the students making a comment about me being thick. I felt like making a bitchy/sarcastic comment pointing out that I have a degree in a subject he didn't get a D at GCSE in (the class are students aged 16-18 on vocational courses who are being made to do functional skills English because they didn't achieve that grade at GCSE)but didn't as I knew this would be unprofessional plus wouldn't be fair on the other students. I really wish I hadn't started this course in the first place; my boyfriend commented last weekend that he's noticed I've been unhappier the last couple of months. Ironically before I started my PGCE I was worried that I'd be given too much to do on my placement but it turned out I'm getting worried/stressed out because I haven't had enough time on placement :rolleyes:

Original post by Sportycb
I don't know it helps you much but I found it helped if I wore the most teacher like clothes as possible.
I feel that if I dress the part then I feel more able to be the part.

Thanks I've actually found that myself. I tried wearing more causal clothes as that's how a lot of the teachers dress but I just don't feel right doing so (I think it might be because I worked in offices for several years before starting my degree so I'm used to dressing in a certain way for work).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Question - I am seeing on a lot of application forms that they went any gaps in employment/education history explained.

I have a year gap because I started a degree and decided it wasn't for me before starting another. I don't know whether to say this, or just say I had a gap year travelling. The degree I dropped out of is in the subject that I am applying to teach in this instance! So it doesn't look good...and they will want to know why I dropped out obviously. Even though I do genuinely love the subject that it was in, I just didn't have a Maths A-Level and found it very difficult at degree level.

My school told me this was to do with Safeguarding. They have to know it wasn't because you were in prison or something. Be honest about where you were.
Original post by gemmam
We go on full-time teaching practice for a month after half term and I've been told I need to get at least two observations in during that time. I did do some teaching hours before Christmas covering for a teacher who was off which weren't so bad but I had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago which made me have second thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two observations in a month is fine. I had 3 in 3 days last week! You'll be ok but you'll never know unless you try.
Original post by alabelle
Two observations in a month is fine. I had 3 in 3 days last week! You'll be ok but you'll never know unless you try.

The thing is I don't think I'll even get the opportunity to teach on my own to get observed. My mentor seems reluctant for me to take a class as the college got a bad ofsted report last year. I really do wish I hadn't started this course I feel trapped as I don't think I'm going to pass yet I'm worried what'll happen if I drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gemmam
The thing is I don't think I'll even get the opportunity to teach on my own to get observed. My mentor seems reluctant for me to take a class as the college got a bad ofsted report last year. I really do wish I hadn't started this course I feel trapped as I don't think I'm going to pass yet I'm worried what'll happen if I drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once you secure a job the PGCE training means little, if anything. Try to get through the next few months and in the meantime make securing a job for September your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Once you secure a job the PGCE training means little, if anything. Try to get through the next few months and in the meantime make securing a job for September your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I'm likely to pass the course also I don't feel I've gained enough experience to apply for a teaching job yet.
Original post by alabelle
My school told me this was to do with Safeguarding. They have to know it wasn't because you were in prison or something. Be honest about where you were.

Interesting, I didn't think that would be the reason. Surely if you were actually in prison, that would show up on a DBS, so you can't lie about that anyway?

Thanks for the advice though. I sent it off yesterday and my family and friends told me not to tell the truth...so I didn't :ninja: .

Original post by gemmam
I don't think I'm likely to pass the course also I don't feel I've gained enough experience to apply for a teaching job yet.

You sound like you have made your mind up really. I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you to carry on. I guess you just need to decide if you want to carry on in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting, I didn't think that would be the reason. Surely if you were actually in prison, that would show up on a DBS, so you can't lie about that anyway?

Thanks for the advice though. I sent it off yesterday and my family and friends told me not to tell the truth...so I didn't :ninja: .

You sound like you have made your mind up really. I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you to carry on. I guess you just need to decide if you want to carry on in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't feel like I have much of a choice; I don't want to drop out but its either that or fail. I rang student finance earlier and they told me I could get funding to do it again in September so I think I might apply for somewhere nearer my boyfriend and start afresh in then (hopefully somewhere that'll run the course properly!).
Original post by gemmam

Well you gotta give it a go - apply for jobs and interview, you never know. There are a lot more factors schools take into consideration other than just the interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I don't feel like I have much of a choice; I don't want to drop out but its either that or fail. I rang student finance earlier and they told me I could get funding to do it again in September so I think I might apply for somewhere nearer my boyfriend and start afresh in then (hopefully somewhere that'll run the course properly!).

TBH, I'd give it a while before trying again, if you decide to quit. All your posts make it clear you are having a rotten time and you are hating it. You are unlikely to feel equipped to start working as a teacher with the experience you've had, and teaching isn't an easy job to start in if you are already doubtful. I'd take some time out to figure if you are still interested enough to do it. If you are entitled to funding, the opportunity won't go away and you may well tackle it in better heart after a break.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
TBH, I'd give it a while before trying again, if you decide to quit. All your posts make it clear you are having a rotten time and you are hating it. You are unlikely to feel equipped to start working as a teacher with the experience you've had, and teaching isn't an easy job to start in if you are already doubtful. I'd take some time out to figure if you are still interested enough to do it. If you are entitled to funding, the opportunity won't go away and you may well tackle it in better heart after a break.

I'd rather wait a while myself but I'm a bit concerned dropping out might make it harder for me to find a job (not in the education sector, just in general).
Original post by gemmam

I know what you're saying. You shouldn't see it as a given that you will fail though - that's not set in stone.

However, seeing as you can get student finance again, then starting afresh in September is not the end of the world.
Original post by gemmam
I'd rather wait a while myself but I'm a bit concerned dropping out might make it harder for me to find a job (not in the education sector, just in general).

I'm not an expert on that, I must confess, but having walked away from a career which was making me so unhappy I was nearly ill, with no future plans at all, I can only say it was the thing which saved me from a lot of misery.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm not an expert on that, I must confess, but having walked away from a career which was making me so unhappy I was nearly ill, with no future plans at all, I can only say it was the thing which saved me from a lot of misery.

Are you referring to leaving your teaching career, or did you leave a career previously?
Are you referring to leaving your teaching career, or did you leave a career previously?

I left accountancy before taking up teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending