The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asad85
why is it taking so long to reply is there anyone that received interview or offer?

Interview invites go out 2 weeks before the interviews. Thats all :smile:
Original post by Neostigmine
Interview invites go out 2 weeks before the interviews. Thats all :smile:

Hi Neostigmine,

I was wondering as most applicants applying to this programme come from deprived areas is it easy to find part time jobs in the local area in Southampton to support their finance whilst studying. Is it possible to work and study medicine at the same time?
Original post by alanconnel
Hi Neostigmine,

I was wondering as most applicants applying to this programme come from deprived areas is it easy to find part time jobs in the local area in Southampton to support their finance whilst studying. Is it possible to work and study medicine at the same time?

There are LOTS of jobs. I worked (and still do) for the university on an ad-hoc basis. Many people worked during BM6 especially as we get 4 days a week off. Many have continued this work into BM5 though the further though the programme the harder it is to have the time. During BM6 you should qualify for a bursary from the university which helps during your first year and many students qualify for most of the financial support from student finance.

It isn't always easy, but it is definitely manageable and workable.
There are LOTS of jobs. I worked (and still do) for the university on an ad-hoc basis. Many people worked during BM6 especially as we get 4 days a week off. Many have continued this work into BM5 though the further though the programme the harder it is to have the time. During BM6 you should qualify for a bursary from the university which helps during your first year and many students qualify for most of the financial support from student finance.

It isn't always easy, but it is definitely manageable and workable.

Thank you. I'm just afraid if during the interview stage i may be asked how are you going to support your studies financially. And if i were to respond with getting a part time job i may be frowned upon.
Thank you. I'm just afraid if during the interview stage i may be asked how are you going to support your studies financially. And if i were to respond with getting a part time job i may be frowned upon.

I doubt they will ask you that. :s-smilie:
Original post by games211

Possibly not but it would make a lot of sense if they did. 99% of people who apply to this program will be from deprived backgrounds so they'd want to know if you've carefully planned how you will study in Southampton rather than apply because of an impulse
Possibly not but it would make a lot of sense if they did. 99% of people who apply to this program will be from deprived backgrounds so they'd want to know if you've carefully planned how you will study in Southampton rather than apply because of an impulse

Isn't that discrimination...
Isn't that discrimination...

Don't think so. It's just that uni's dont want medical student drop outs

I've never heard of this being asked. Lots of BM6 students have jobs so it won't be frowned upon. The uni assumes that the student finance plus university BM6 bursaries will get students through :yes:.

I've never heard it being asked but doesn't mean it won't. Thr interview follows your PS and what you say.
Will the offers given be based on the interview alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What work experience does everyone have?
Original post by Bueno786

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by Findus Lasagne 🐎

It's not about how much or how good your WE placement was, its about what you learnt from it.
Original post by Findus Lasagne 🐎

I was quite intimidated applying for medicine when everyone else were saying how they shadowed in this ward and that ward and observed angioplasties and heart transplants but as games211 said it's not what you do, it's what you learnt from it.
I volunteered in a care home and as a ward helper and although I have not been fortunate enough to see some cool things like others have, as long as you show what you took from those experiences...that's what matters. It got me two interviews :smile:
Original post by Bueno786

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. You can scored out of 15 for your PS and out of 15 for your interview. These are totalled and offers start with the highest scorers.

Yes

Not unless they changed it this year. It's true for BM5 but not BM6 yet.
No. You can scored out of 15 for your PS and out of 15 for your interview. These are totalled and offers start with the highest scorers.

Not unless they changed it this year. It's true for BM5 but not BM6 yet.

oh wow really. cool. thanks
If u were to get an offer do they specify a B in bio and chem??
I am guessing interviews will be sent out next week :o:o
Original post by w11111111

I think its any subject order.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by w11111111

No. BBC in any order of subjects :yes:

I am guessing interviews will be sent out next week :o:o

:yes:

Original post by mangomango
I think its any subject order.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending