The Student Room Group

Your Dream University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kangie
Exeter!

Nightmare you mean?!
Original post by CaptainBrown
Awesome! I love it, the modules are usually pretty good, as are the lecturers, the university has an insane amount of resources (classical and otherwise) and the city is absolutely fantastic. Are you coming for undergrad or postgrad?

Undergrad. Thanks for the feedback! Did you get to choose your optional modules in your first year? Did you do a language?
Stanford!

Hopefully I can do an MBA there in the future, for now it'll be Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Stanford!

Hopefully I can do an MBA there in the future, for now it'll be Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't they ask for the highest GMAT score in the World?
Reply 104
Oxford
UCL
Columbia
Harvard
UCL
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Don't they ask for the highest GMAT score in the World?

It isn't just the GMAT that gets you in..

As long as its above 700, you should have a chance. They care more about your work experience, goals, extracurriculars and personality/leadership qualities.

In the UK universities specify a minimum requirement, but in the States they leave this fairly open so candidates who might not meet some academic requirements - relative to other applicants - may still have a chance if the rest of their application is strong.

I'm still a good 6 - 7 years away from applying - going into uni this autumn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MIT
Original post by Princepieman
It isn't just the GMAT that gets you in..

As long as its above 700, you should have a chance. They care more about your work experience, goals, extracurriculars and personality/leadership qualities.

In the UK universities specify a minimum requirement, but in the States they leave this fairly open so candidates who might not meet some academic requirements - relative to other applicants - may still have a chance if the rest of their application is strong.

I'm still a good 6 - 7 years away from applying - going into uni this autumn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their typical GMAT outscored Harvard recently . . .
Nightmare you mean?!

Why would Exeter be a nightmare?
Original post by Coffeetime
Undergrad. Thanks for the feedback! Did you get to choose your optional modules in your first year? Did you do a language?

Yeah I have overall 3 optional modules over the year. I would have much preferred more freedom in my timetable to choose modules from outside the Classics+Ancient History department (everywhere else I applied for Ancient+Modern History so I like taking modules from the History department), I have been able to do that but not the extent that I'd have liked. This may change in second year and of course, your own preferences mileage may vary.

I didn't do a language because I studied Latin ages 13-18 in school and ended up doing not all that well at A-Level, I can just about blunder my way through my Latin translation of the Hobbit but after that I'm useless so I decided to stick a fork in that one. You'll be able to do a language though, you can choose between Greek and Latin, word of advice that Intensive Greek/Latin 1 isn't easy, I have friends who did Latin who were removed from the course for failing one weekly vocab test. :s-smilie:
Original post by CaptainBrown
Yeah I have overall 3 optional modules over the year. I would have much preferred more freedom in my timetable to choose modules from outside the Classics+Ancient History department (everywhere else I applied for Ancient+Modern History so I like taking modules from the History department), I have been able to do that but not the extent that I'd have liked. This may change in second year and of course, your own preferences mileage may vary.

I didn't do a language because I studied Latin ages 13-18 in school and ended up doing not all that well at A-Level, I can just about blunder my way through my Latin translation of the Hobbit but after that I'm useless so I decided to stick a fork in that one. You'll be able to do a language though, you can choose between Greek and Latin, word of advice that Intensive Greek/Latin 1 isn't easy, I have friends who did Latin who were removed from the course for failing one weekly vocab test. :s-smilie:

I'm okay with taking other Classics modules. At least at first. I'd like to take Italian, but we'll see. As for the other languages, I've never taken Latin or Greek, so I really want to do one. Greek appeals to me, but I'm not completely sure. Isn't Intensive Greek/Latin the beginners course?
Original post by JamesManc
Edge Hill

Aim low and you won't be too disappointed. :biggrin:
Original post by Mariam35
A HUGE 24hr library
A night life as good as Newcastle
Societies for pretty much everything
Respected status
Reasonably priced rooms
Reasonable entry requirements
Awesome academics
High quality gym
... Yeah I don't think this place exists

Cambridge or Oxford then?
Imperial!
Original post by Kangie
Why would Exeter be a nightmare?

They aren't elite, don't get fooled by the UK rankings, they were ranked 46th just a few years ago, around 2007. Even worse in the World rankings. They think they are like Durham and Nottingham, only they are really like Leicester and Royal Holloway standard.
(edited 9 years ago)
You know, it's a toss-up between London Met and Bolton. With luck, I'll get to experience both.

Cambridge or Harvard would be my dreamy dream universities, for obvious reasons.
Original post by callum_law
I must say from the start that I study at Exeter, so I want to forewarn you of any possible biases.

Exeter is elite in its intake, having one of the highest percentage of ABB+ students (taking from 2009-2010). These stats show during that period 74% of students entering Exeter were ABB+, whereas much exalted Notthingham had 56.8%. In fact, only Oxbridge, Warwick, Bristol and Durham had a higher percentage—Warwick's being 81% and Durham and Bristol 84%.

Now you may very well say these are antiquated statistics, but as is the 2007 stat. The current stats show entry is higher at Exeter than KCL and Notthingham.

Exeter is still relatively high in the world rankings, around 150th in some. However, in those rankings, universities with much lower standard entry are higher. And some universities which are axiomatically not as good as Exeter—QMUL, Sussex. The problem with the world rankings is that the sample is far too broad and hopes to distinguish between universities across the world with many different traditions using too simplistic criteria for assessment.

Exeter had to shut down a number of weak departments to help propel them up the league tables, a feat any university could do if they were that desperate. At present, universities like Nottingham and UCL are undergoing expansion, and for their large size they take many thousands more top students than Exeter.
Exeter had to shut down a number of weak departments to help propel them up the league tables, a feat any university could do if they were that desperate. At present, universities like Nottingham and UCL are undergoing expansion, and for their large size they take many thousands more top students than Exeter.

I can only find one department that was closed down in 2006. Why would its performance 9 years ago affect its elite status? It's essentially saying, 'the **** departments were cut away, so the remaining departments are also ****'. That is simply illogical.

Exeter is also undergoing expansion. It is must also be elite, then.
Original post by callum_law
I can only find one department that was closed down in 2006. Why would its performance 9 years ago affect its elite status? It's essentially saying, 'the **** departments were cut away, so the remaining departments are also ****'. That is simply illogical.

Exeter is also undergoing expansion. It is must also be elite, then.

Some students on TSR seriously think Exeter is on the same level as Durham and Nottingham for prestige. OMG I don't believe it. It is a none starter. I question why Exeter was allowed into the Russell Group.
Some students on TSR seriously think Exeter is on the same level as Durham and Nottingham for prestige. OMG I don't believe it. It is a none starter. I question why Exeter was allowed into the Russell Group.

Certainly not Durham, but likely Nottingham based on quantitative unarguable data. Higher entry, so it attracts the better students. Higher rate of first-class honours, so the better students get the better results. Equal graduate prospects. It at least makes Exeter equivalent to Nottingham, and arguably better.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending