The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImagineCats
Im so jealous! I wish my school did more languages, they only offer French, German and Spanish :mad: I'm doing French and German right now, but I want to do more!

My school is pretty weird, it's probably one of the only state schools doing Chinese. The only other ones I've found are private schools or grammar schools. I believe Cheltenham Ladies College does it :holmes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone doing edexcel B geography GCSE atm? Stuck on the methodology for my coursework- what's the problems, limitations and risk assessments? They're all the same thing right?????? ARGH

I did problems with the method (e.g. accuracy), limitation (e.g. equipment was limited... stuff we couldn't really change) and risk assessment (e.g. falling into the sea? - we did rivers so no sure about coasts but that definitely would be an extremely low risk)

It's pretty hard to stay within the word limit btw (especially that it's just 2,000!)

I wrote much much more

It's better to include everything than sacrifice stuff to stay within the word limit - you just will lose 2 marks so it's normally worth it :smile:
good afternoon everyone
Original post by Jitesh
I did problems with the method (e.g. accuracy), limitation (e.g. equipment was limited... stuff we couldn't really change) and risk assessment (e.g. falling into the sea? - we did rivers so no sure about coasts but that definitely would be an extremely low risk)

It's pretty hard to stay within the word limit btw (especially that it's just 2,000!)

I wrote much much more

It's better to include everything than sacrifice stuff to stay within the word limit - you just will lose 2 marks so it's normally worth it :smile:

Thank you so so so much! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Steliata
My school is pretty weird, it's probably one of the only state schools doing Chinese. The only other ones I've found are private schools or grammar schools. I believe Cheltenham Ladies College does it :holmes:

My sisters sharing uni accommodation with a guy who went to Cheltenham Boys' College, funnily enough he's a druggie who has no respect for anyone :confused:

How is Chinese marked? Is it like the other languages 30% speaking, 30% writing, 20% listening, 20% reading? Chinese is such a hard language surely they'd go easy on you lot :tongue:
Thank you so so so much! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

No problem :smile:
Ask the teacher while you're doing it because they can clarify and maybe hint something, as it's to do with the context of the fieldwork :smile:

Have you done the fieldwork yet?
Original post by Jitesh
No problem :smile:
Ask the teacher while you're doing it because they can clarify and maybe hint something, as it's to do with the context of the fieldwork :smile:

Have you done the fieldwork yet?

Yeah, I went to Norfolk last year. I had a terrible teacher last year who didn't care about the coursework at all so our whole class is really behind on it. Thankfully my teacher this year is amazing and helping us all!
Are you doing geography for a level? What are your options? :smile:
Yeah, I went to Norfolk last year. I had a terrible teacher last year who didn't care about the coursework at all so our whole class is really behind on it. Thankfully my teacher this year is amazing and helping us all!
Are you doing geography for a level? What are your options? :smile:

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths :smile:

Sadly not... yourself?

How many modules do you have to cover for Geography? We have three, but we won't finish them all haha
My sisters sharing uni accommodation with a guy who went to Cheltenham Boys' College, funnily enough he's a druggie who has no respect for anyone :confused:

How is Chinese marked? Is it like the other languages 30% speaking, 30% writing, 20% listening, 20% reading? Chinese is such a hard language surely they'd go easy on you lot :tongue:

That completely defies the point of going there :facepalm:

I don't know about the weightings, but I think that GCSE Chinese is fairly easy because Edexcel think it's a hard language. But once you get into it, it's easier than you'd think - different, but not impossible.

I don't really know much about A level either but I do know that you write an essay in Chinese about Chinese culture. I think A level is probably significantly harder than GCSE though.
Original post by Jitesh
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths :smile:

Sadly not... yourself?

How many modules do you have to cover for Geography? We have three, but we won't finish them all haha

Yeah we do three too! Yep I am :tongue: I'm taking biology, psychology, geography and German. Jesus, those are hard subjects! What do you want to do at uni if you've already got an idea?
Original post by Steliata
That completely defies the point of going there :facepalm:

I don't know about the weightings, but I think that GCSE Chinese is fairly easy because Edexcel think it's a hard language. But once you get into it, it's easier than you'd think - different, but not impossible.

I don't really know much about A level either but I do know that you write an essay in Chinese about Chinese culture. I think A level is probably significantly harder than GCSE though.

Woah an essay in Chinese! Yeah A level languages is mostly grammar rules, not so much vocab anymore. It's great that at A2 we don't get any listening/reading exams, its just testing our language knowledge so we do essays and translation. I'm so excited for A level!
It's on the coast, so shiz like groyne/beach profiles and bi-polar analysis

Ahh, ours is studying re branding and regeneration schemes on a nearby city

But I finished mine so long ago that I can't remember what those bits are! :C :confused: :angry:
Sorry!!
Original post by FatimaHere
Ahh, ours is studying re branding and regeneration schemes on a nearby city

But I finished mine so long ago that I can't remember what those bits are! :C :confused: :angry:
Sorry!!

Yup, everyone's finished their coursework by now. We had a terrible teacher last year who had no idea what he was doing, so our teacher this year made us re-start ours. I'm grateful, but its really difficult and I have no idea when the coursework deadline is :mad:
Yup, everyone's finished their coursework by now. We had a terrible teacher last year who had no idea what he was doing, so our teacher this year made us re-start ours. I'm grateful, but its really difficult and I have no idea when the coursework deadline is :mad:

:/ Aww that's so annoying! But it's really good that you have a new teacher!! Good luck with it :smile:
Hmm, I've just tried to search for it, but Google's not too helpful right now :angry:
I'm feeling very useless right now :s-smilie: D:
Wohey double languages! I'm doing French&German right now. Quite done with French in all honesty! Haha, I envy you for doing two languages though. If I had a 5th I'd probably take French:colondollar: ouioui honhon

Yes! It will be a challenge, but hopefully a worthwhile one. I'm also doing Polish, but on the side :wink:
I wish I could do German, but the only languages my school offers are French and Spanish. Nonetheless I adore them...
:/ Aww that's so annoying! But it's really good that you have a new teacher!! Good luck with it :smile:
Hmm, I've just tried to search for it, but Google's not too helpful right now :angry:
I'm feeling very useless right now :s-smilie: D:

Thats fine, thanks so much for trying to help out! I can't find any exemplar methodologies on the edexcel website which is annoying :angry: Are you taking it for A level?
Thats fine, thanks so much for trying to help out! I can't find any exemplar methodologies on the edexcel website which is annoying :angry: Are you taking it for A level?

Welcome, awhh D:
Noope, I was thinking about it but decided on Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics :P (I want to go into Medicine)
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
Yes! It will be a challenge, but hopefully a worthwhile one. I'm also doing Polish, but on the side :wink:
I wish I could do German, but the only languages my school offers are French and Spanish. Nonetheless I adore them...

Wow Polish. I'd love to do that! Germans my fav :colondollar:
Welcome, awhh D:
Noope, I was thinking about it but decided on Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics :P (I want to go into Medicine)

Nice! I'm taking biology :biggrin: I'm so excited for a levels! I'll probably regret saying that this time next year though paha
Nice! I'm taking biology :biggrin: I'm so excited for a levels! I'll probably regret saying that this time next year though paha

Thanks! ^^ Oo, cool! Samee, I felt like I was the only one xD Ahaha true, though hopefully not xD

What do you take for GCSE?

Latest