Are receptors only found on cell membranes? Watch

Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my book it says they are found on the "cell surface" thats the membrane right?

Also are they just found on the plasma membrane or on the membranes around organelles to?
username1649843
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, they have the same fluid mosaic model
Emsies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They are on the outside and inside organelles. Pretty much on every phospholipid membrane.

There are "cell surface receptors" that are only on the cell surface.
Jmedi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, they are found on membranes. They are found on plasma membranes (also referred to as the cell surface membrane) and membrane-bound organelles.

(It's just a protein molecule found embedded within a membrane)
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
In my book it says they are found on the "cell surface" thats the membrane right?

Also are they just found on the plasma membrane or on the membranes around organelles to?
Receptors found on cell-surface (plasma) membranes are known as extra-cellular receptors (technically, they face the outside of the cell), e.g. muscarinic receptors, which the neurotransmitter acetylcholine binds to. Extra-cellular receptors typically have ligands that are water-soluble (hydrophilic), so they cannot cross the plasma membrane.

Receptors are also found inside the cell, e.g. nuclear receptors. These are known as intra-cellular receptors, e.g. the glucocorticoid receptor, which specific steroids known as glucocorticoids bind to. Intra-cellular receptors typically have ligands that are fat-soluble (hydrophobic), as they can cross the plasma membrane.

Hope this helps!
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Receptors can be on the membrane, but also found throughout a cell. for example, there are receptors which are used to control if DNA is transcribed or not in order to code for a gene
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (83)
9.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.07%

Watched Threads