The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Okay, my first geniune Chemistry question :teehee:

Question:
The oxygen atom in water has two lone pairs of electrons. Suggest why the ion H4O2+ is not generally formed in acidic solutions that contain H+ ions.

Now, I understand that this is related to the effect of lone pairs of Oxygen and that two hydrogens in the ion form dative covalent bonds with the Oxygen and the other two hydrogen atoms in the ion form normal covalent bonds with Oxygen but I don't know to link that into the the question

Does it have anything related to the change of the shape of the ion and therefore the knock-on effect of becoming a non-polar molecule?

Can someone explain?

Thank you :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zhang-liao
Okay, my first geniune Chemistry question :teehee:

Question:

Now, I understand that this is related to the effect of lone pairs of Oxygen and that two hydrogens in the ion form dative covalent bonds with the Oxygen and the other two hydrogen atoms in the ion form normal covalent bonds with Oxygen but I don't know to link that into the the question

Does it have anything related to the change of the shape of the ion and therefore the knock-on effect of becoming a non-polar molecule?

Can someone explain?

Thank you :colondollar:

Interesting question...probably because if there are H+ ions floating about they are likely to be attacked by water rather than by H3O+ ions. Also, H3O+ is a postive ion, and joining together two positive ions (h+ and h3o+) may cause some repulsion and thus be very unstable when actually formed (and thus split back into h3o+ and h+ ions)
Original post by Dylann
Interesting question...probably because if there are H+ ions floating about they are likely to be attacked by water rather than by H3O+ ions. Also, H3O+ is a postive ion, and joining together two positive ions (h+ and h3o+) may cause some repulsion and thus be very unstable when actually formed (and thus split back into h3o+ and h+ ions)

Yeah but would there be any relation to intermolecular bonding though?

Quite a strange question to ask though :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Which is more stable cyclohexane or benzene?
Original post by zhang-liao
Yeah but would there be any relation to intermolecular bonding though?

Quite a strange question to ask though :colondollar:

Well I would assume all the bonds in H4O2+ would be covalent, or at least dative covalent, and not to with intermolecular forces. But it's a good question and I'll ask a teacher or someone (you should do, and compare answers)

Original post by louisaerin

Benzene because the delocalised ring structure is very stable. You sure this is AS?
Original post by Dylann
Well I would assume all the bonds in H4O2+ would be covalent, or at least dative covalent, and not to with intermolecular forces. But it's a good question and I'll ask a teacher or someone (you should do, and compare answers)

Benzene because the delocalised ring structure is very stable. You sure this is AS?

Thank you I am doing AS chemistry and this question was on my assignment this week
Original post by Gott
I'm doing OCR AS

How many assessed practicals have people done, I've done 1 qual 1 quant?

hey I've done one eval one quant
Reply 707
Original post by noshahmad
I am doing OCR salter chemistry and would be more than happy to help granted I've learnt the content myself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you be able to help me if I ask you a few questions ?
Original post by Dylann

H+ doesn't exist only the hydroxonium ion though? And there's an additional oxygen in the molecule posted before? As in h4o2 not h4o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee
H+ doesn't exist only the hydroxonium ion though? And there's an additional oxygen in the molecule posted before? As in h4o2 not h4o

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the 2 was the charge, so it's basically a water molecule with 2 extra hydrogens. H4O2+. And you're right, the H+ floating about (from the acid) will be attacked by water instantly, so h3o+ will form. But I think it's unlikely the h3o+ will attack h+ due to replusion and instability

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louisaerin

Thermodynamically, cyclohexane is more stable than benzene.
Original post by l1lvink
Thermodynamically, cyclohexane is more stable than benzene.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to admit that I didn't know the answer, so I looked it up. This appears to be the answer:

All six carbon atoms in benzene are sp2 hybridized. The two sp2 hybrid orbitals of each carbon atom overlap with the sp2 hybrid orbitals of adjacent carbon atoms to form six sigma bonds in the hexagonal plane. The remaining sp2 hybrid orbital on each carbon atom overlaps with the s-orbital of hydrogen to form six sigma C–H bonds. The remaining unhybridized p-orbital of carbon atoms has the possibility of forming threeC bonds by the lateral overlapping.
The six π’s are delocalized and can move freely about the six carbon nuclei. Even after the presence of three double bonds, these delocalized π-electrons stabilize benzene.[ π cloud] about cyclohexene and cyclohexane both are more saturated than benzene but they have specific structures and can only be present in that form only but for benzene it not only has the extensive π cloud but also resonating structures so it can remain in any one of those structures so it is more stable in terms of entropy..Not only benzene but also many other substances show these properties they are broadly classified as AROMATIC COMPOUNDS..
Heya so I have a quant isa on Tue on observations and balanced symbol equations. Any help? Im crap at isas:tongue:
Original post by l1lvink
I'm going to admit that I didn't know the answer, so I looked it up. This appears to be the answer:

All six carbon atoms in benzene are sp2 hybridized. The two sp2 hybrid orbitals of each carbon atom overlap with the sp2 hybrid orbitals of adjacent carbon atoms to form six sigma bonds in the hexagonal plane. The remaining sp2 hybrid orbital on each carbon atom overlaps with the s-orbital of hydrogen to form six sigma C–H bonds. The remaining unhybridized p-orbital of carbon atoms has the possibility of forming threeC bonds by the lateral overlapping.
The six π’s are delocalized and can move freely about the six carbon nuclei. Even after the presence of three double bonds, these delocalized π-electrons stabilize benzene.[ π cloud] about cyclohexene and cyclohexane both are more saturated than benzene but they have specific structures and can only be present in that form only but for benzene it not only has the extensive π cloud but also resonating structures so it can remain in any one of those structures so it is more stable in terms of entropy..Not only benzene but also many other substances show these properties they are broadly classified as AROMATIC COMPOUNDS..

Yeah that makes sense. I think if you compare the thermodynamic properties as you said, it could suggest cyclohexane is more stable, since cyclohexane has a enthalpy of formation of about -170 and benzene has +50. Though this doesn't necessarily indicate stability as the part you quoted talks about overlapping of orbitals which is actually more to do with stability than enthalpies.
Original post by kira1
Would you be able to help me if I ask you a few questions ?

Sure :biggrin:
Does anyone know what the average Titration for the chemistry isa and if anyone's done it yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marwa Fahad
Does anyone know what the average Titration for the chemistry isa and if anyone's done it yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It differs from school to school. It probably also differs class to class because teachers change concentrations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marwa Fahad

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by 'average titration'?
Original post by l1lvink
What do you mean by 'average titration'?

Average titre probably, the average you work out from concordant results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest