The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by furryface12
I've got my interview tomorrow! Last year I got invited to interview around now though I think, and had it beginning of March (and got an offer, but missed the grades in the end :colondollar:) so sure you'll hear something soon :smile: Where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Royal Holloway, Liverpool, Lancaster and Nottingham Trent. :smile: good luck with your interview!
Original post by gp0797
Royal Holloway, Liverpool, Lancaster and Nottingham Trent. :smile: good luck with your interview!

Ah ok, I also have an offer from Liverpool :smile: Thank you, hope you hear from them soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had an interview at York? I got an email saying the Admissions Tutor would like to interview me (on the phone since I'm international) but no conditional Offer+Interview, just an interview... Was it the same for anyone else or do they usually send the interview invitation with a C.Offer?

Any advice for the interview? I'm very very nervous, I'm scared of what they could ask me. They say they'll have me solve Physics and Maths exercises and I don't know how to prepare for that... :s-smilie: Please if anyone has any experience or advice I would really appreciate it!
Original post by marinanutshell
Has anyone had an interview at York? I got an email saying the Admissions Tutor would like to interview me (on the phone since I'm international) but no conditional Offer+Interview, just an interview... Was it the same for anyone else or do they usually send the interview invitation with a C.Offer?

Any advice for the interview? I'm very very nervous, I'm scared of what they could ask me. They say they'll have me solve Physics and Maths exercises and I don't know how to prepare for that... :s-smilie: Please if anyone has any experience or advice I would really appreciate it!

I'm an EU student and I had an interview at Manchester a couple of days ago. The professor (prof. Alan McKane), asked me to do a simple derivatives calculation, after that we talked a little about Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry (general talk, nothing specific), then we talked a lot about Physics and that was it :biggrin: It was really relaxed, but Manchester interviews are known to be like that. I don't know anything about interviews at York, but I hope they are the same like the Manchester ones. But I think the interview will be more like "We don't know that much about the education system in your country, so we are going to ask you some questions in order to find out." Just be relaxed, if you can't do something, don't panic, it won't be fatal! Good luck!
Original post by The Art of War
I'm an EU student and I had an interview at Manchester a couple of days ago. The professor (prof. Alan McKane), asked me to do a simple derivatives calculation, after that we talked a little about Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry (general talk, nothing specific), then we talked a lot about Physics and that was it :biggrin: It was really relaxed, but Manchester interviews are known to be like that. I don't know anything about interviews at York, but I hope they are the same like the Manchester ones. But I think the interview will be more like "We don't know that much about the education system in your country, so we are going to ask you some questions in order to find out." Just be relaxed, if you can't do something, don't panic, it won't be fatal! Good luck!

Thank you very much!! Your words were very reassuring, I hope it will be as relaxed as yours but I'm still going to start reviewing everything just in case. Congratulations on getting an offer from Manchester and thank you for your encouraging comment!
Thank you very much!! Your words were very reassuring, I hope it will be as relaxed as yours but I'm still going to start reviewing everything just in case. Congratulations on getting an offer from Manchester and thank you for your encouraging comment!

Well, I still haven't received my offer, but I think I should get one, considering the interview and everything. :biggrin: And yes, review everything, just in case. What are your other options, except York?
Well, I still haven't received my offer, but I think I should get one, considering the interview and everything. :biggrin: And yes, review everything, just in case. What are your other options, except York?

I'm sure you will :biggrin: I hear that getting an interview means you have like 95% chance of getting in, is it your first option? I've applied for Physics and Philosophy MSci at York, Sheffield, St Andrews, Royal Holloway and Nottingham. My application for Nottingham was 'unsuccessful' though, so I'm only waiting for the other 3 to answer. I was slightly concerned because they were taking a lot of time until I got that email from York. What are yours?

Hey, I've got an interview from York for Maths and Physics on the 16th of February. I haven't gotten an offer either, so I assume they will give us an offer/rejection based on the interview. I'm also really nervous for it, especially for the technical questions.
Best of luck with the interview!
Original post by l1lvink
Hey, I've got an interview from York for Maths and Physics on the 16th of February. I haven't gotten an offer either, so I assume they will give us an offer/rejection based on the interview. I'm also really nervous for it, especially for the technical questions.
Best of luck with the interview!

Hello! Mine's on the 12th and I'm starting to get panicky about the technical questions as well.
I assumed that too, which means double the pressure because it's even more important that we make a good impression.
Good luck for your interview too!
Hello! Mine's on the 12th and I'm starting to get panicky about the technical questions as well.
I assumed that too, which means double the pressure because it's even more important that we make a good impression.
Good luck for your interview too!

I'm in a strange situation that I'm an EU classified student living in England, and am thus better off monetarily by studying in Scotland, but York is my only English (but also 'best') Uni, so I sort of want to go there, but would be worse off financially if I do go there.
How are you preparing for the technical questions?
Reply 730
Original post by gp0797
Is anyone still waiting for a response from Exeter? All I've had from them is a confirmation of my application to study BSc Physics and then a further one saying that they were going to consider after the January deadline but I haven't heard anything since. I've had offers from all the other universities I've applied to and I'm just waiting on Exeter, trying not to get too worried though. :s-smilie:

Currently studying Physics, Chemistry and Maths (Mechanics) at A2 and studied Biology at AS. Predicted ABB

im still waiting!! and applied just before xmas, predicted ABB too but for physics, maths and history

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 731
Original post by c_k62
im still waiting!! and applied just before xmas, predicted ABB too but for physics, maths and history

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have no idea how glad I am that it's not just me waiting! ☺️
Original post by c_k62

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by gp0797

Where else have you too applied to? And have you got offers yet?
I've applied to York, Heriot-Watt, DEbiburgh, Dundee and Strathclyde for Physics and Maths with predicteds of ABB in Maths, Chemistry and Physics
I'm sure you will :biggrin: I hear that getting an interview means you have like 95% chance of getting in, is it your first option? I've applied for Physics and Philosophy MSci at York, Sheffield, St Andrews, Royal Holloway and Nottingham. My application for Nottingham was 'unsuccessful' though, so I'm only waiting for the other 3 to answer. I was slightly concerned because they were taking a lot of time until I got that email from York. What are yours?

I've applied to Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle. I' ve got offers from Newcastle, Sheffield and Strathclyde. I will probably go to Strathclyde due to the fact I'm an EU national and I won't have to pay taxes. I consider not having a 36 000 pound debt a good thing. :biggrin: Also, Strathclyde is very good for the type of physics I'm interested in:
they use physics to develop modern technologies and that's what I'm truly interested in. Also, if you look at the site of Institute of Physics, they state that it doesn't matter where you study physics as an undergraduate, because they (the universities) teach the same stuff everywhere.
Reply 734
Original post by gp0797

I feel exactly the same!! its my first choice so ive been getting proper wound up😂😂 where are your other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 735
Original post by l1lvink
Where else have you too applied to? And have you got offers yet?
I've applied to York, Heriot-Watt, DEbiburgh, Dundee and Strathclyde for Physics and Maths with predicteds of ABB in Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Ive applied to Newcastle, Northumbria, Sussex and Queens Belfast and got offers from all excpet Exeter😬 Newc want AAB, northumbria want 320 points (only put northumbria incase i want to stay at home really), sussex said AAB, or ABB if i firm them😂 and belfast want BBB! So hopefully i'll be firming exeter and puttig belfast as insurance😊

predicted ABB too for maths physics and history, have you got offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l1lvink
I'm in a strange situation that I'm an EU classified student living in England, and am thus better off monetarily by studying in Scotland, but York is my only English (but also 'best') Uni, so I sort of want to go there, but would be worse off financially if I do go there.
How are you preparing for the technical questions?

As an EU student I have the same perk but I've only applied to St Andrews in Scotland and it's a veeeery long shot but you know, wishful thinking. I didn't apply to the other Scottish Universities because even though they're all outstanding I was afraid I wouldn't have much chance because they're all in very high demand and I had already risked it with St Andrews.

I'm reviewing my notes but I don't know if it's of any use because I'm not familiar with the British curriculum and what's on the syllabus and the type of exercises and I'm panicking now...
I've applied to Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle. I' ve got offers from Newcastle, Sheffield and Strathclyde. I will probably go to Strathclyde due to the fact I'm an EU national and I won't have to pay taxes. I consider not having a 36 000 pound debt a good thing. :biggrin: Also, Strathclyde is very good for the type of physics I'm interested in:
they use physics to develop modern technologies and that's what I'm truly interested in. Also, if you look at the site of Institute of Physics, they state that it doesn't matter where you study physics as an undergraduate, because they (the universities) teach the same stuff everywhere.

Yay Scotland! :biggrin: I'm also an EU student so I understand, I didn't apply to more of them because I think only St Andrews offered Logic and Philosophy of Science and Physics (Physics and Philosophy basically) and because I was afraid I wouldn't get in as they're in such high demand.
Congratulations on all your offers! So jealous about Sheffield, I wish they'd accept me too... Good luck with Manchester and Edinburgh!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yay Scotland! :biggrin: I'm also an EU student so I understand, I didn't apply to more of them because I think only St Andrews offered Logic and Philosophy of Science and Physics (Physics and Philosophy basically) and because I was afraid I wouldn't get in as they're in such high demand.
Congratulations on all your offers! So jealous about Sheffield, I wish they'd accept me too... Good luck with Manchester and Edinburgh!

Thank you! I'm really nervous about Edinburgh, I would love to go there, but except for a few welcome letters I haven't heard anything from them. The waiting is killing me(us) . :biggrin: Also, I'm sure that you will receive an offer from Sheffield!
Hey Guys, any help would be much appreciated. I've received offers from Bham, Nottingham and Bath (A*AA), Cardiff AAA and Surrey AAB. Obviously those first 3 are the main players, and after visiting all I've found that Nottingham and Bath slightly edge it over Bham, idk why, just it didn't quite push all the buttons. But idk which one to choose from Bath and Notts. I found that the departments and courses were very similar and little to choose between, and the campuses were both very nice. Bath had slightly better sports and is obviously a nicer city, but I can't help thinking if find it a bit 'antiquated' after 3 years. Notts on the other hand felt really social and the SU was larger, it's obviously much cheaper to live in the city and I felt like the accommodation was slightly better. What do you guys think, is there a considerable difference in reputation and what are your experiences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending