The Student Room Group

Euler contributed way more to our understanding of the universe than Einstein

Why is the latter more famous? Euler was much smarter and contributed way more.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CancerousProblem

There are many mathematicians and different people would choose different ones as the best

Many, I believe would go for Leibniz or Newton
I would be a Gauss fan with Napier coming in a close second

Your choice of Euler is pretty arbitrary and seems to be based on the fact that you have just been looking at his work

Einstein is more recent and his work had an immense impact ... if you are simply looking for reasons to be famous - they would be enough

Plus - people who are mentioned in school are far to be more famous - hence the fame of Pythagoras - a mathematician that everyone has heard of
Reply 2

What do you mean by "the universe"?

Euler was a prodigious calculator and phenomenally gifted mathematician, but it's very difficult to communicate and popularize his achievements to people outside the world of mathematics.

Einstein's work is more focused but he challenged accepted ideas about physics, produced ideas which have direct physical consequences and can be tested, and many of his ideas lend themselves easily to visualization and popular culture - think of anything to do with black holes, curved space, space and time travel, wormholes, not to mention his earlier work on the photoelectric effect and the foundations of quantum mechanics (which he later came to distrust).

In all honesty, I highly doubt that they even care,at all, how the general population views them.

If I could do what they did, I certainly wouldn't care. Most people are too stupid to appreciate their work anyway.
Original post by TenOfThem
There are many mathematicians and different people would choose different ones as the best

Many, I believe would go for Leibniz or Newton
I would be a Gauss fan with Napier coming in a close second

Your choice of Euler is pretty arbitrary and seems to be based on the fact that you have just been looking at his work

Einstein is more recent and his work had an immense impact ... if you are simply looking for reasons to be famous - they would be enough

Plus - people who are mentioned in school are far to be more famous - hence the fame of Pythagoras - a mathematician that everyone has heard of

What did Napier give us? Logs? Sub machine guns? Submarines? Yeah no, Euler did way more than him.

He also made the world piss their pants by making some incorrect calculations and saying the world was going to end sometime in the 16th century not sure when. Obviously, since we are alive today, we know about the accuracy of that prediction.
What did Napier give us? Logs? Sub machine guns? Submarines? Yeah no, Euler did way more than him.

He also made the world piss their pants by making some incorrect calculations and saying the world was going to end sometime in the 16th century not sure when. Obviously, since we are alive today, we know about the accuracy of that prediction.

I didn't know mathematicians had fanboys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still do not seem to understand that many, many, many mathematicians have made invaluable contributions

Sometimes 1 step forward is so powerful that it changes the world

Some have stood on the shoulders of others, offered simple refinements and had massive impact

Mathematics is such a massive body of knowledge that it is foolish to try and identify a single person who has made the greatest contribution

What do you thing of Cauchy, Weierstrass, Bolzano, Liouville, all big names in real and complex analysis but outside of university mathematics relatively unknown.

Even extremely famous mathematicians like Riemann & Hilbert - are relatively unknown outside of mathematics.

I suspect you have little understanding of Euler's or Einstein's work - take a course on General Relativity it is quite something.
Reply 8
111.jpg
Reply 9
This thread is pretty silly. Out of all sweeping statements, this has to be up on the face palm list. As mentioned, university may change your views on this.

In honesty, you post these kind of threads every day, it's quite boring, are you a troll or what?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tombayes
What do you thing of Cauchy, Weierstrass, Bolzano, Liouville, all big names in real and complex analysis but outside of university mathematics relatively unknown.

Even extremely famous mathematicians like Riemann & Hilbert - are relatively unknown outside of mathematics.

I suspect you have little understanding of Euler's or Einstein's work - take a course on General Relativity it is quite something.

im happy that I know most of those(don't know weierstrass and Bolzano) names in A levels. :smile:.
can't wait till General Relativity in First year :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Phichi

In honesty, you post these kind of threads every day, it's quite boring, are you a troll or what?

I'm thinking troll tbh.
Original post by physicsmaths
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you do it in year one...

I'd be surprised if you meet General Relativity in your first year. I did it in my third.
Original post by Mr M
I'd be surprised if you meet General Relativity in your first year. I did it in my third.

dynamics and relativity in the tripos is in first year though? Or is that completely different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah general relativity is different from relativity... Dammit, guess I'll wait a few more years lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah general relativity is different from relativity... Dammit, guess I'll wait a few more years lol.

Relativity will be special relativity. That's a doddle.
I'm not sure they're directly comparable. Einstein's ideas do not use particularly complicated mathematics (by the standards of this discussion...) yet they tell us a lot that wasn't previously known about how the real, physical universe functions.
Reply 18
Original post by Phichi
This thread is pretty silly. Out of all sweeping statements, this has to be up on the face palm list. As mentioned, university may change your views on this.

He is a low level disruption troll ...
He is not mathematically stupid, seeking attention a bit, poses some nice maths problems at times and stupid debates at others... (like this one for instance)

TSR is very quiet at present, so he is trying hard to liven it up.

Personally, I got stimulated by a couple of his posers, and did some stuff myself as a result. (I even repped him for that)
Reply 19
dynamics and relativity in the tripos is in first year though? Or is that completely different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IA Relativity is Special Relativity, which is (relatively) understandable with limited mathematical background (although physically counterintuitive!).

General Relativity requires some pretty hairy mathematics to do properly - tensor calculus, differential geometry and stuff like that :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest