The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blitzkrieg15
At my university the PhD students do not teach in lecturers or seminars at all.

Harvard

So Harvard definitely employs graduate TAs, i.e. PhD students who teach.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by la_banane_verte
So Harvard definitely employs graduate TAs, i.e. PhD students who teach.

That was a joke, I am not in the top 0.1% of students that get accepted into Harvard, and if I was, I sure wouldn't be positing on here.
Harvard

ORLY?

Seriously, which university do you attend? Or plan on attending?
Original post by orlrighty
ORLY?

Seriously, which university do you attend? Or plan on attending?

You will just judge it, unless it was Oxbridge. It is a top 10 Russell Group university.

Now looking at Royal Holloway for MSc.
You will just judge it, unless it was Oxbridge. It is a top 10 Russell Group university.

Now looking at Royal Holloway for MSc.

Well, good luck to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
London Met. Unmistakable.

And when did London Met join the Russell Group, or regularly feature in the UK top 10?
Yes, but as you've already pointed out, you don't tell the truth.

One of my friends did her BSc at Royal Holloway, and then a masters at London Met. She is doing really well in a blue chip firm earning 45k plus. London Met has it's uses, but not for me.
Original post by Okorange
You must be living in 2005 because St Andrews has been top 5 for 10 years. Look at the rankings.

The Times University Guide had St Andrews at 26th in 2007, the first year that the student satisfaction was brought in to replace the teaching quality assessments. Kind of killed the value of the ranking.
Original post by alone-in-kyoto
So, in answer to my question, no. I genuinely have no idea how somebody could attack the academic quality of an institution on an online forum without even having studied there, and this is as somebody who does not see the place through rose tinted glasses by any stretch of the imagination. Get a hobby or something.

It is best not to make personal attacks on TSR.

Incidentally, you can assess many aspects of the quality of a university through facts and figures, resulting in league tables and comparisons. They are not perfect, but they can provide a useful insight of the standing of a university in teaching and research.
The Times University Guide had St Andrews at 26th in 2007, the first year that the student satisfaction was brought in to replace the teaching quality assessments. Kind of killed the value of the ranking.

That is one ranking in one year, can you link me to anything? How about the Guardian, Complete?

If your point is that the league tables are unreliable I can agree with you on that. If your point is St Andrews is not a top 10 university, I cannot agree with you on that.
Original post by Okorange
That is one ranking in one year, can you link me to anything? How about the Guardian, Complete?

If your point is that the league tables are unreliable I can agree with you on that. If your point is St Andrews is not a top 10 university, I cannot agree with you on that.

IMO, the UK rankings died the day student satisfaction replaced teaching quality assessments. St Andrews is top 10 for prestige, but not top 10 when teaching and research are given equal weighting. Would be close to a top 10 though, around top 15.
Reply 631
IMO, the UK rankings died the day student satisfaction replaced teaching quality assessments. St Andrews is top 10 for prestige, but not top 10 when teaching and research are given equal weighting. Would be close to a top 10 though, around top 15.

How do you calculate that? It seems that employers and other universities do not take the same position as you. I'm surprised people are even taking time to reply to you, your arguments are based on nothing but stats.

This thread has veered severely off-course, where have the mods gone in this forum?
Original post by Oxy
How do you calculate that? It seems that employers and other universities do not take the same position as you. I'm surprised people are even taking time to reply to you, your arguments are based on nothing but stats.

This thread has veered severely off-course, where have the mods gone in this forum?

When St Andrews joins the Russell Group, or gets into the top 10 for graduate employer targeting, then I'd be happy to share that view. People have stated in this thread that the teaching is at times poor, and the World rankings and REF suggest St Andrews can't compete with the top 10 most research intensive universities.

On a separate note, this thread should have been closed by now. Everyone knows how dull St Andrews can be.
(edited 9 years ago)
When St Andrews joins the Russell Group, or gets into the top 10 for graduate employer targeting, then I'd be happy to share that view. People have stated in this thread that the teaching is at times poor, and the World rankings and REF suggest St Andrews can't compete with the top 10 most research intensive universities.

On a separate note, this thread should have been closed by now. Everyone knows how dull St Andrews can be.

St Andrews will probably never join the Russell Group since the Russell Group is for universities that have large research grants. St Andrews is just too small (as in we don't have enough staff/students) to attract enough grant money.

St Andrews didn't do that badly in REF tbf.
St Andrews will probably never join the Russell Group since the Russell Group is for universities that have large research grants. St Andrews is just too small (as in we don't have enough staff/students) to attract enough grant money.

If LSE can get in, St Andrews and Bath could also. Most people would welcome them with open arms. Royal Holloway is a touch unfortunate not to get a mention, as is Leicester perhaps.

We do very well with what we get, especially in sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This post is 5 years old.
Stop bringing it up.
I regret picking St Andrews for my summer school. Should have picked Edinburgh :/
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I regret picking St Andrews for my summer school. Should have picked Edinburgh :/

What makes you think that?
I have been there last summer and I was impressed.It cannot be better than StA:smile:
Original post by trubadur
What makes you think that?
I have been there last summer and I was impressed.It cannot be better than StA:smile:

What OP said :/

Latest

Trending

Trending