The Student Room Group

Moderation statistics :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
Or the community report more posts, or there are more trolls, or a global controversial newstory broke....

:yes:

Exactly, the mods just don't have time to trawl through threads looking for any potential rule-breaking posts. If they are combing through threads it's because a number of members have made the decision to report the posts or a specific member.

I can vouch that a lot of reports are received in the News & Current Affairs forum, particularly at peak hours. This doesn't mean that every report results in a card in N&CA, because that certainly isn't true - but it does mean that there will likely be more cards given on average than in somewhere like Study Help. Furthermore, She-Ra's point about global controversial news stories is very important; for example, the hugely controversial Charlie Hebdo thread last month, which generated a few thousand of posts within days.

And again, I have to agree with She-Ra and PQ. Section mods don't have the time to trawl through every single thread in their designated forums. Yes we do go through threads just from our personal browsing, but a lot of the moderating work we do is responding to reports.

Also, we give black cards to spam bots which tend to target the most active forums. So this raises the average number of cards we've given in a way that makes the statistics slightly misleading.
Original post by She-Ra
Or the community report more posts, or there are more trolls, or a global controversial newstory broke....

:yes:

Exactly, the mods just don't have time to trawl through threads looking for any potential rule-breaking posts. If they are combing through threads it's because a number of members have made the decision to report the posts or a specific member.

I never suggested they trawl through looking for posts, what I said was that it's possible they are more trigger happy - in carding those posts that are reported to them. Anyone who's spent half a minute in the religion forum knows that it should receive the most cards, that it doesn't suggests the moderation is less liberal in NCA, which has also been my personal experience.
Original post by Birkenhead
I never suggested they trawl through looking for posts, what I said was that it's possible they are more trigger happy - in carding those posts that are reported to them. Anyone who's spent half a minute in the religion forum knows that it should receive the most cards, that it doesn't suggests the moderation is less liberal in NCA, which has also been my personal experience.

You realise the mods for Religion and N&CA are almost exactly the same, right? Most of the D&CA mod across the whole section, so there's no reason for moderation to be less liberal in News.

It's also worth noting that News is a prime section for people posting in the wrong place, and for newbie advertisers to spam - the latter is going to bump up the card count by a fair bit.
Reply 283
What I'd like to see is the name of the mod who's given me a card. Frequently I post in threads where some mods also post - no problem with them - then I receive a card several days later, probably by a different mod. It's annoying because I'd like to know why my post was acceptable for the former, but not for the latter mod. I'd like to ask him/her why.
When I was a mod, there were never any complaints ever on this site.

Because we banned them if they did.
Original post by Melancholy
When I was a mod, there were never any complaints ever on this site.

Because we banned them if they did.

So alpha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spyglass.
Original post by Josb
What I'd like to see is the name of the mod who's given me a card. Frequently I post in threads where some mods also post - no problem with them - then I receive a card several days later, probably by a different mod. It's annoying because I'd like to know why my post was acceptable for the former, but not for the latter mod. I'd like to ask him/her why.

Without getting into whether or not we should disclose the name of the mod who gives cards, in this particular example it is most likely a case that the mods you were talking to were not mods over the section that thread was in. For example I only have mod privileges over Hobbies & Interests, so if I were having a discussion in Debate & Current Affairs and I saw rule breaking content then I would have to report it like everybody else and the post would not be dealt with until a member of the D&CA team was available to investigate the report. Different subforums also have their own niche rules which not every member of the mod team may be know about if they aren't familiar with that forum (e.g rules about what is and isn't appropriate discussion of torrenting is something only moderators who deal with the Tech forum are likely to have encountered), so smaller rule breaks may go unnoticed by mods who are only there to chat and then be seen later by a member of that forum's mods :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 288
Thanks, I understand now.
Original post by Josb

If you'd like to ask why you received a specific card, you can start a thread in ask a moderator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending